Survival/Barter TRADE Items? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Survival/Barter TRADE Items?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We put up quite a bit of TP for our use as well as bartering. We also put up a bit of stock of Tampons and pads. Both will store for a long time, don't go stale or expire, and yes, people do barter for said items.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #12

A lot of what become valuable for trading/bartering depends on how long the situation lasts. For instance, a short term local disaster like a hurricane causes things like batteries, candles, polyethylene sheeting and pop-tarts to command a premium. Under broader, more widespread and longer lasting scenarios, things like sugar, salt, parabolic mirrors, and wind generators become worth their weight in gold.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3456 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default Barter

+1 on the salt. If you plan on bartering ammo, it is generally accepted you don't barter off ammo that is likely used against you. Bird shot in 12 and 20 ga as well as .22 lr are good barter items. I would not barter off any 5.56 or buckshot.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:33 AM   #14

Default Greetings folks

I looked through all the ideas on this thread and while they are all very good there is one simple basic thing you all missed. Toilet paper. While it isnt a necessity you would be surprised how much people would be willing to give for some when they absolutely cant find any. This and bottled water. The simpler something is the more we take it for granted until we can no longer get it easily.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidah View Post
We also put up a bit of stock of Tampons and pads. Both will store for a long time, don't go stale or expire, and yes, people do barter for said items.
Barter away tampons??? Shoot! In a pinch they'll work as boresnakes!!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #16

Default And, tampons are great to plug bullet wounds....

The original feminine napkin pads were developed using military combat dressings as a guide. They hold a LOT of blood, can be used as an expedient battle dressing and might not give your injury away - nobody is surprised to find bloody maxi pads!

Plus, they are VERY inexpensive. Anybody bought battle dressings lately? WOW! Pretty darn pricey.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmons View Post
The original feminine napkin pads were developed using military combat dressings as a guide. They hold a LOT of blood, can be used as an expedient battle dressing and might not give your injury away - nobody is surprised to find bloody maxi pads!
Unless someone is educated enough to know that menstrual blood does not coagulate.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 AM   #18

You should acquire/store what ever you have at hand and work with...
If you work at a paper factory, then drag home the butt end rolls and the factory rejects of hand towels, TP, and what ever else you can get a hold of...

Used to be every family canned a years worth of food every fall,
PLUS,
Worked some kind of job...

If you work at the railroad, bring home what you can, broken boxes of this or that the customer wouldn't accept, old RxR ties make great emergency fire wood or industrial fire wood for steam or forges!
High grade steel will always be in demand!

If you work at the grocery store, bring home as much of the 'Scratch & Dent' stuff they will let you buy and/or carry off!
Old fruits, vegtables, and meats can still be canned on their last day before spoilage.
Opened boxes (but liner intact) or dented/missing label cans eat just as well as the first run stuff!

The guy with a 'Bone Yard' will be king of the heap pretty quickly... Growing up on a farm, I know the value of a 'bone yard' for spare parts, stock for making things from, ect...
City dwellers just can't grasp how valuable a bone yard is!

I personally have a pretty large selection of spare parts for some popular rifles, and I have a progressive reloader with lots of stock in bullets, primers, powder and several dozen sets of dies...
It's what I've done for a hobby for years, and people are going to need ammo, if they bring me brass, I can reload.

I've been into electronics, especially vehicle electronics, for most of my life.
Ignitions from scratch are no problem for me, and I can sort out about any electrical problem very quickly.
This will be a commodity that will be in demand.

Turning a car alternator into a welder is pretty easy, but if you don't have welding rods, you are screwed!
So if I didn't buy welding rods in long term storage cans it wouldn't make much sense...

Turning car alternators and/or DC motors into windmills or electricity producing water wheels is already a subsistence business that is taking off, and would explode in a 'SHTF' environment.
---------------------

Short term problems, hurricanes, tornadoes or floods, will require a different mind set...
'Instant', or 'Temporary' things will be a requirement...

Chain saw with fuel & oil.

Rolls of heavy plastic for covering windows and roofs.
Some sheets of plywood, some construction lumber and a good supply of nails would be a good thing!

Like the poster said before, a boat would be a great thing in areas that can flood...
(like up around the great lakes right now!)

The big, old, ugly, rusted out, hunting 4 Wheel Drive the neighbors b!tched about for the past 5 years now becomes priceless!

Batteries and generators are simply a necessity!
Remember, LP tanks are easier storage for fuel than gas cans, and with a little forethought and planning, the generators, and some vehicles, don't know the difference.
LP stores for years, gas only stores for months...

Solar panels with battery banks & generators are going to make your life so much more comfortable, and if someone needs emergency power, may save your life!

Old 10-06-2007, 03:14 AM   #19

Default Trade items

Mess kits, Fuel bars (Trioxane), Propane, k1,Batteries,flashlights,cheap socks and underware, bar soap, baby diapers and wipes,small generaters,disposable cups and plates, plastic spoons and forkes, botteled water, small mirrors, cheap lighters, tin foil, ziplock bags, razors, Q-tips, COFFEE,SUGAR,CREAMER, duct tape,cheap hand tools, toilet paper, Blankets, sun glasses, plastic sheeting,cheap dome tents, granola bars and fruit snacks,MRE's, para cord,toothpast and brushes, cheap knives, salt and peper, military cook stoves.

One things for sure ain't nobody getting my smokes, booz, or ammo!!!!

Old 10-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #20

Matches, toilet paper and candles would also give you a lot of leverage. Most people today do not know how to survive without being able to flip a switch and have everything right there at their fingertips. Any sort of small luxury item will bring a high price with any of those people.

The condoms may expire but they can still be an assest, place them over the muzzle of your rifle when traveling on foot in a rain storm.

Newest Threads