Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Survival/Barter TRADE Items?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Survival/Barter TRADE Items?

Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

I thought I'd bring up the topic of Survival Or barter Trade items?

In most situations, Folks go for the easy, items that they will part with, should trade off easy and work? Weaons/Ammunition, Booze, Drugs and such? While thier will be a Market for those Items Katrina showed that in Spades, Often these sorts of Items bring you more Misery than they solve? The same Weapons/Ammo traded can be used to Kil you? The Booze and Drugs as well the same? The folks that Want those sorts of items often are the types that will Follow you back to your site and Demand more, want to rob you of your barter or outsright are TROUBLE? Jewlery and Baubles? Thier always seems to be a gut of these sorts of Items, but often are the Loot of Pawn shops and are trouble in spades as well?

Better items for barter are those Simple items, we see and use every day, Yet are hard to make or a Pain to re-produce in Numbers? I see, fishing hooks, Sinkers and Lures, Sewing needed and Needles of all Types as a great trade item? Small NON Drug med items works as well! I see Canteens, Military Items will trade well and are often requested? I see NON Electronic items Like P-38 and P-51 Can Opners as GOLD! Small Items of Scrap Silver )Under some situations) can he bartered, small Gold coins and items as well! These Items will not be a lot of use in a Total Disaster till all gets a lot better, or fails completely? I've seen Gas Cans, Water storge Items and all of that go for silly prices and real hard to make them on site? Often, after a water type of disaster, Containers for storage are filthy and disease contaminated! In that sort of situation, no way to wash or clean them up without cross contamination? Small Inflatabe boats and rafts sell and Trade well! Seen entire family possessions floated down River till it was safe? Precios Family Items like Pictures and Memories saved with a $3.50 Large bag of Zip Lock Bags? Funny what is worthless now, becomes the stuff of dreams?

Cans/Bottles of Food, Food items that are Packaged for Long term storage, Tents, Tarps, Line of all Types! Bow strings for Typical Used Recurve, not sure that those are of Value with all the Compound Users out there any more?

In short, those Items we have seen used and Demanded in all the Hurricanes and Disasters we have been forced to Survive, earth quakes and more?

Not meant to be a total List, But Just a few items I've seen work and I used to Pass the Bad times? Offer your opinions and what worked for you, and Maybe we can Help each other do better in this?

RON L

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Thanks for the ideas -- you raise some good points. I think there's some room in one of my bug-out bags for some of the items you mention.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Survival/Barter items

BTK

YUP, a lot of the items that I recommend, do not take up a lot of room, are easy to store and can easliy be afforded! I see it as a start, not a total List, Just hope that more resond, so we can make a better list? I hope to hear from others here, even if you disagree and have other options? BKT, thanks for your Input, it was well appreciated!

RON

Old 05-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Some good trade items IMO would be.

1.) Cigarettes, smokers will damn near give their first born for a smoke when they have been out for a few days.

2.) Booze will always be worth something. Vodka, Whiskey, and Rum would be good choices to have.

3.) Coffee in the freeze dried bricks would be worth its weight in gold.

4.) Condoms because people are still going to want to......umm.....ehh you know, without unwanted pregnancy.

5.) Lots of .22 LR ammo. Most gun owners have a .22 LR, and if you cant trade it you can still use it.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Survival/Barter Items?

Brass

Good to hear from you and not wanting to start an argument, But, do you really want to Trade 22 shells to some one that might later shoot you with them and takje some stuff? Ever Been to a late Night Bar and see what Booze does to those that Drink too much and the way they act, and you wanna trade them More? I understand that these are comodities, but More than often, katrina as well as a Lot of Fairly contained em,ergences showed that tade in Booze, weapons and Ammunition did not biode well for those that did it!

I do Like your Idea of Coffie, and Cigarittes, thought not my pick, would trade and sell well, That I will most strongly agree with, Even been in a room of Just quit Smokers and Coffie Drinklers that have not had thier fix?

Condums, well, Yea, thats a good one I need to remember and add!

Any Storage of Cigarettes, Cigars or Tobacco, would have to wrapped in Tim Foil and stored, as they go "Stale" far faster than many know?

Thanks for your Idea's and it's a real addition to the forum!

RON

Old 05-21-2007, 04:30 AM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Prescription and non-prescription pain killers I think would be an ideal thing to stock to use as barter.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I figure with alcohol they will consume it well after they leave my vicinity. Condoms do expire, and cigarettes do go stale. However with cigarettes a smoker who has been without for a few days probably won't care . I would not have any problems with trading .22 ammunition. I already have more than I could shoot in a lifetime (without being stupid with 30 round mags in the 10/22). I would not however give up any 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, or any other serious caliber, and I would never trade weapons.

Toothpaste, deoderant, ect may get you trade for smaller items. Stocking up on prescription meds would be costly, probably illegal, and they expire. The only medication I would stock up on would be that which my family members require. I am lucky in that none of us take prescription medication.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Survival/Barter Items

Brassmonkey

RON L here = Seresurplus

You raise a lot of good points, I'm not sure that I agree about how Viable trading Hooch would be, as it always seems to bring Problems, But I do understand your point! If they Drink it after they leave ya might BE OK, but the types Looking for that Only are Usually problems ands that migyht Catch up with you later?

22, or any Ammo in my opinion is a bad deal to trade, It can and will be used against you other others, but again, My opinion only

Old 05-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #9

It's really easy to make your own alcohol so I doubt it would be worth THAT much esp. after everyone settled back down.

You need to stock up on things that people can't produce anymore like chemicals and such.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #10

Aspirin, antibiotics, anti nausea meds, anti dirrhea meds, sleeping pills, caffeine pills, gauze, band aids, sterile anything, anti itching meds, slings, a range of eyeglasses (drug store cheaters), nylon parachute cord, any surplus non perishable food item, and batteries!! If you have all these you will be able to name your price, provided "they" don't out number/gun you.