Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Which "survival" .22 rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Lots of great info to digest. I have my list made and will be tracking each one down here in town so that I can see them up close and make my decision. Thanks for all of the great advice.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #22

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What is your definition of 'Survival gun'?

My understanding of survival and yours my be the same or as different as apples and bananas.

In the end if I had to live by my wits (I'm wit challanged as it is) I'd want as much going for me as possible and would want a compact and reliable not to mention robust firearm, to subsist to survive I'd go with a compact hunting arm with good sights and reliable mechanism able to digest any .22lr ammo fed into it (your favorite brand ammo isant alway's availabe in a survival situation) I like semi autos and have had some good ones and I'd have to say they all choke of certain lots and brands fed them.
the most reliable firearm I ever had was a S/L/LR winchester 94/22 leveraction
I like bolt guns but the Idea that that darn bolt could open while climbing through brush and terrain to later on find it had opened and fallen from the action in the last 1/4 mile is a constant deread of mine (Jimny Crickets are bad for this!)
My Taurus 72C-ss is a stainless carbine that is insanely accurate and very packable and locks up like a bank vault and feeds all .22Mag ammo without a hitch, I'm considering getting a .22 S/L/LR version of one these neat little carbines.
Ive used the Remington Nylon 66 (Hard to find &easily broken plastic bolt handle)I like it but it does jamb on certain types ammo so have to clean it and ease of cleaning is a small consideration as well in a survival situation as well dissembling a Ruger10/22 (easily broken rear sight)or a Marlin 60 (muck-a-matic because it seems all the powder residue ends in the trigger group) while hideing out living in a dougout or a tent dosent sound like a activity I'd like to undertake dissembling a firearm for cleaning without a screw driver or even a shop to fall back on.
Since I live in a remote area Ive noticed some the hardest carry worn guns see little fireing the finish is gone the metal pitted and worn away, sights electric taped on, paper wedges for sight elevators, missing rear sights (folding pot metal ones) safeties completely missing, mags missing that drop out while stocking game, front sights that are knocked off the side or completely missing, slings made of boot lace to free hands for climbing and such, extreme cold temps that shatter plastic that is resiliant and robust in more temprate climates, .22's with stamped sheetmetal parts like the cartridge guides on the Marlin 39 replaced -4, Savage Stevens, Marlin stamped spring steel extractors that simply snap off, Adjustable rear sights with small screws that areeasily lost or broken (**** happens) find what works for you, know your guns limitations have a sensable replacement in the butt stock under the butt plate
The only way to learn what you need is use it, hunt with it, and if it comes up short trade it off and get somthing you can use, why house stuff you dont need or use? I know its hard to cull a gun from your equipment but if its a lemon, Why whate for when your Azz is on the line its best to get that out the way before it becomes a survival issue.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 07-04-2009 at 12:07 AM.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:41 AM   #23

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default Surviveing useing a survival gun?

I guess the key is will your survival gun survive the wear and tear of a survival situation? if it dosent your stakeing allot on it to be there when you need it most.
I had some them flakey gimic survival guns and all I have to say is they dident measure up! (2 Ar-7's and a M-6 .22lr and .410), when used for hunting they were woefully inadiquate.
If a survival gun was "All That" hunters everywhere would all be hunting with them, Gun loonies would be singing them praise from the mountain tops! and every shooter would have one in ther gun safe! It would be the Go to first thing you'd grab when thers squaking in the chicken coop at night.

They are Gimmicks for the gimmick gulliable and nothing more than that.
they were supposed to be a last ditch better than your pocket knife and slingshot alternative for pilots to put in ther survival bags (hence the crappy light weight materials ther made of and flimsey construction) they arnt ment to be a durable heavily used tool! the crash victums are to sit by the wrecked aircraft till they are rescued so they only have to fill a very light nich in real life, they are just a placibo for a scared and desperate pilot & passengers, Recognize them for what they are and leave it at that.

To better put this in context this is a specialized weapon for aircraft crash survival it shouldent be confused for the more robust and potentially leathal SHTF survival that this thread caters to.
My anology its like useing a flimsey plastic sward in a good old fashoned bronze age gladiator duel.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 07-04-2009 at 03:48 AM.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #24

I own a savage model 24 in 22/410 and must say it,s a great little combo as i have shot rabbits, hares and ducks with it and i think one would suit you just fine for what you want to use it for

Old 08-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #25

Ive been using a ruger 77/22 for yrs.this version is stainlless with the synthetic stock.It has been a very robust gunn for nearly twenty years,Also very accurrate.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My thoughts on "real" survival and what gun to have.

Get an AK47.......a big heavy drop it in the mud beat it up and drop it in the water and pick it up and fire it type of thing. Try humping that with a whole bunch of ammo and your other survival gear........Enough of that.

For a 22 it would be good to have a rifle and revolver so you can hump an aweful lot of only 1 caliber ammo (22) and they will work in both weapons. No gun is any good when you can't carry enough ammo and run out. For going into the boonies and living off the land in a true survival scanerio. Whatever you feel more comphy with. Remember, you will be carrying a lot of other stuff besides guns and ammo and a cleaning kit. Something like a Rugar 10/22 (real accurate shooter and pleanty of aftermarket stuff available to customize it to your use and tastes) and a good 22 wheelgun (will shoot any kind of 22 ammo unlike some finneky auto-loader handguns). There's no ammo store in the woods.

So unless you are in Alaska and gotta worry about grizzly bears you should be ok.

Just some thoughts.

OC

"magbum"

Last edited by OC357; 08-03-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #27

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
I have a Marlin mod.-25 bolt action .22lr that will go with me come hell or high water. It does not break down for easy portability but it's one hell of a shooter. Had it for about 30 years now and cleaned it for the first time last month when the bolt started sticking. Sense I cleaned it last month I should be good for another 30 years
+1 Opaww, I've got a Marlin 25N and it's been great!

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Old 08-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #28

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The best survival rifle is a non automatic with a can. Venture forth quietly.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #29

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post

Did you catch the title of the thread??? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. I am not talking about a survival rifle for the mall.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
Dude i have a feeling you might want to try and get people to think your ultra cool somewhere else. The mall ninja ultra black ops adventure forum is that way.