Which "survival" .22 rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Which "survival" .22 rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default Which "survival" .22 rifle

I have been looking around at "survival" .22 rifles. So far I have come across 3 different models and want your opinion on them.

1. Henry Arms U.S. Survival AR-7
2. Springfield Armory M6 (out of production)
3. Marlin Model 70PSS "Papoose"

Any info would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Can you give us a definition of what you consider 'survival' ??

Like just hunting the smallest of game from a campsite? Or foraging the wasteland post WW III Mad Max Stylez?

The Henry is a good weapon. Easy to break down, work on and pretty accurate.

The Marlin is also a good choice. I think it's a little more expensive than the Henry.

Either of those would be a good campfire type gun.

JD

Old 06-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #3

Default Other options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
I have been looking around at "survival" .22 rifles. So far I have come across 3 different models and want your opinion on them.

1. Henry Arms U.S. Survival AR-7
2. Springfield Armory M6 (out of production)
3. Marlin Model 70PSS "Papoose"

Any info would be appreciated.
Look into the variations of the Savage Model 24. These are dual-purpose firearms, with both shotgun and rifle barrels, i.e., .22LR/.410. One firearm for 2 different types of hunting.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #4

I'd go with the Marlin. It's based on the Model 60 which is one of the best.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #5

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I should have clarified the "survival" part a little more bit thought it was clear with the mention of the .22 rifle. I do mean more of a bugout bag type rifle for foraging for small game.

I have not seen the Savage rifle. It sounds like the Springfield.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
I'd go with the Marlin. It's based on the Model 60 which is one of the best.

+10 - Of the three listed the Papoose is the highest quality and most accurate. I've had one for 23 years and it groups as well as any fullsized .22. Of course in 1986 the price was only $100...
I've heard bad things about the AR-7 (Henry)in terms of accuracy, and for the price that's just not acceptable. When it was made by Charter Arms it sold for $70, now it's almost $200.

Another option is the Rossi Matched Pair - for under $200 it can be had in .410/.22 or like the one I have in .243/20 ga. The "Youth" model is even better for backpacking with it's shorter stock. Like the Papoose, the Rossi breaks down and packs in a nylon case with both barrels (it doesn't float however).
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-25-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had a Savage 24 that was .22mag over 20 gauge and it was the most deadly small game gun I had back then. The .22 short/long/long rifle over 20 gauge would be excellent. It breaks down too.

Barring that a Browning semi-auto would be ideal-if a bit expensive. Most of the lever actions break down too.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Last edited by stalkingbear; 06-25-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have to agree with "stalking bear". My bugout 22 is a browning 22 auto. I have had very bad experence with 3 different AR7 rifles. Two jammed continually only firing 1 shot at a time between jams. The Henry brand has a plastic barrel shroud with plastic sights that continually fall off.The recievers are just a casting of potmetal. Now that instills confidence. The Marlins are somewhat more robustly built however they arent nicknamed "jamomatics"for no reason. As stalking bear states a Savage 24 is a good choice however it could be improved by being built from milled steel and most importantly have the top barrel a 22 long rifle and then get rid of the shotgun barrel and replace it with a 308 win. Now that would be a great all situation survival game getting firearm.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:16 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
The Marlins are somewhat more robustly built however they arent nicknamed "jamomatics"for no reason. .
I've never had any Marlin Mod. 60 action jam. I think this happens to people who are "mechanically & mentally challenged" and just expect their semi-auto to give them a lifetime's worth of jam-free shooting without ever disassembling the bolt and cleaning it! Sure it's a pain in the a$$, but it's a mechanism that gets dirty after thousands of rounds of accumulated carbon and cordite- it doesn't clean itself, and spraying the piss out of it with gun scrubber doesn't do squat except consolidate the crap in places where it can't be reached. After 10+ years I completely stripped my old Mossberg and couldn't believe it was still working after the crap I found. Now it doesn't jam, it cycles much faster, and the lag time between when the trigger is pulled and when it fires has been cut in half because the firing pin is not riding in a slurry of carbon and lube.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-26-2009 at 02:26 AM.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:07 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I've never had any Marlin Mod. 60 action jam. I think this happens to people who are "mechanically & mentally challenged" and just expect their semi-auto to give them a lifetime's worth of jam-free shooting without ever disassembling the bolt and cleaning it! Sure it's a pain in the a$$, but it's a mechanism that gets dirty after thousands of rounds of accumulated carbon and cordite- it doesn't clean itself, and spraying the piss out of it with gun scrubber doesn't do squat except consolidate the crap in places where it can't be reached. After 10+ years I completely stripped my old Mossberg and couldn't believe it was still working after the crap I found. Now it doesn't jam, it cycles much faster, and the lag time between when the trigger is pulled and when it fires has been cut in half because the firing pin is not riding in a slurry of carbon and lube.
I know what you mean about dirty self loading rifles. I regularly clean and repair many firearms every year. I actually removed tree branches from a the magazine well of a Winchester model 54. However have had problems with the Marlin 60 series firearms if not kept spotlessly clean. Quite a few gunsmiths got rich trying to keep them operating. Though they can be reliable when cleaned, in a survival situation cleaning is not always an option and it is too complicated for most to work on in the field. This is what my opinion was based on.