Suggested Survival/Preparation Reading
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Suggested Survival/Preparation Reading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Suggested Survival/Preparation Reading

This is a thread for posting about reading material that you've found helpful. If it's survival or preparation related and you think it's worthwhile, post it here.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #2

I take the magazine entitled "BUSHCRAFT" here in the U.K.
Even the mag it'self is handy in Winter if your out in the woods as you can rip the pages out and put them next to your skin as insulation.
Everything has a use in a survival situation.

May I say your idea on this Posting, is very good, and hopefully fruitfull,also.

Jungleman

There is no such thing as a problem,only a solution.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default From Ranger@shtfblog.com

Posted by permission of Ranger from shtfblog.com
I have read some of these, hope to get to some more of them as time goes on.

List of Seventy Fictional Survival, Doomsday, TEOTWAWKI and Apocalypse Books
by Ranger Man on April 21, 2011

This post is pretty basic, but actually took time to assemble. It’s meant to be a resource for preppers interested in turning the television off and opening an entertaining read. Links change over time, so if you find a dead one, please alert me in the comments so I may correct it. I was tempted to make this a list of 75 or 100, but I feel this list is pretty thorough and includes the good ones. I think it’ll keep any reading prepper busy with entertainment for a while.

Because of new forum rules the rest of the post can be found at
shtfblog.com

Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here's what I have at the moment. I also regularly reference various blogs and websites. However, since big brother can shut down the net at any time, I'm not confident that online resources will always be available. I plan on picking up more books as I go.

"The Encyclopedia of Country Living" by Carla Emery

"Living Well on Practically Nothing" by Edward Romney

"Long Term Survival in the Coming Dark Age" by James Ballou

"Urban Survival Guide" by David Morris

"How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It" by James Wesley Rawles

"The SAS Survival Guide" by John "Lofty" Wiseman

"Emergency Preparedness & Survival Guide" by the publishers of Backwoods Home Magazine

"The Modern Survival Retreat" by Ragnar Benson

"The Survival Retreat" by Ragnar Benson

"Ragnar's Urban Survival" by Ragnar Benson

"Patriots" is a work of fiction by James Wesley Rawles, however it's a pretty practical book as far as preparations. But, it presumes an almost unlimited budget. It's still a good guide even so.

I have had a subscription to "Backwoods Home Magazine" for years now and find it money well spent.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 04-22-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would suggest getting/reading books about;

- Identification of (local) edible & medicinal plants.
- Trapping, hunting & fishing basics
- Fish & game dressing/preparation
- Exotic food preparation/cooking (like internal organs, etc.)
- Gardening/farming
- First aid
- General how-to guide
- Various ways to collect water
- etc. (rule is...go basic)

Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Poink, those are all excellent ideas/subjects. Would you be more specific and post some titles and authors that you think would be helpful?

For instance, we have a ton of gardening books but I never even thought to include some on the list.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here's some but most other books (you possibly already have) may contain similar information. As usual, take any advise you get from these with a grain of salt and use your own common sense.

Amazon.com: Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills, Third Edition (9781602392335): Abigail R. Gehring: Books

Amazon.com: SAS Survival Handbook, Revised Edition: For Any Climate, in Any Situation (9780061733192): John 'lofty' Wiseman: Books

Amazon.com: How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times (9780452295834): James Wesley Rawles: Books

Amazon.com: The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants (9780976626602): Samuel Thayer: Books

Amazon.com: Nature's Garden: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants (9780976626619): Samuel Thayer: Books

Amazon.com: A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs: Of Eastern and Central North America (Peterson Field Guide) (9780395988145): Steven Foster, James A. Duke, Roger Tory Peterson: Books

Amazon.com: The Encyclopedia of Country Living: An Old Fashioned Recipe Book (9780912365954): Carla Emery: Books

Amazon.com: Organize for Disaster: Prepare Your Family and Your Home for Any Natural Or Unnatural Disaster (9780966797046): Judith Kolberg: Books

Amazon.com: What Fish Don't Want You to Know: An Insider's Guide to Freshwater Fishing (9780071417143): Frank Baron: Books

Amazon.com: Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis (9780761563679): Peggy Layton: Books

Amazon.com: PREPAREDNESS NOW!: An Emergency Survival Guide (Expanded and Revised Edition) (Process Self-Reliance) (9781934170090): Aton Edwards: Books

Amazon.com: The Complete Guide to Freshwater Fishing (The Freshwater Angler) (0052944013103): Editors of Creative Publishing, Creative Publishing international: Books

Amazon.com: The Trapper's Bible: Traps, Snares & Pathguards (9780873644068): Dale Martin: Books

Amazon.com: Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game (9780882663913): John J. Mettler: Books

Amazon.com: A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking Meat, Fish & Game (0037038174571): Wilbur F. Eastman: Books

BTW, I am not (in any way) connected with Amazon. I just find shopping through them convenient.

Also do not get hang-up with the equipment aspect on some of these (say on fishing)...similar results can be attained using simple home made items and others can be done without.

Last edited by Poink88; 04-22-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9426 Times on 4061 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

The very FIRST book that Poink listed is at least one that should be on your bookshelf. It also makes good reading. Rather broad and shallow in many areas, but will serve to guide your further reading.

Foxfire books, Euell Gibbons Edible Plants guides. From there, whatever floats your boat. My library covers a bit of everything from Boy Scout Handbook to Be your Own Wilderness Doctor to Trail cooking to Home Gunsmithing to TM 31-210.

Shop carefully, books are cheap, books work with no batteries, are not erased by EMP, and can always be used to swat an annoying urchin.

One other suggestion- back issues of a magazine- The Mother Earth News. Not the current pub by that name. The one that started in the 1970s. 8 issues a year, folks into the "back to the land" movement. Homesteading. crops. compost. weaving. Canning. Got a recipe for crackers? check E-bay (as much as I dislike them) for sellers that have multiple issues in one sale, o the shipping costs will getcha.

Besides, gives something to read in the bomb shelter waiting for the radiation levels to drop.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 04-23-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:14 AM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Poink, you rock! Thanks!

Old 04-27-2011, 02:47 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Looking for more reference books folks.