Storage life: Raisins other store bought Dried Fruits???

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Storage life: Raisins other store bought Dried Fruits???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Storage life: Raisins other store bought Dried Fruits???

Does anyone have a rough idea of the storage life of Raisins and other store bought "Dried" Fruits? COSTCO has great prices on this stuff but if it doesn't store then I'll back off.

Thanks!

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Raisins are dried but not dehydrated. I'd guess they'll last a year maybe as they are, longer in the fridge. If you were to vacuum seal them in jars or bags or freeze them I imagine they would last indefinitely.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #3

You think they will last that long vaccum sealed?

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I do, but it's a guess really. We have a food saver and I sealed up some fish when we first got it and froze it. I gave a pack to a co-worker about 6 years later. He tried it and said it tasted like it was caught that day, no lie. I've sealed nuts, dry beans and rice, etc. etc. etc. It's amazing how well vacuum sealing works. They even have lids for mason jars that allow sealing things inside he jar. I used to do that with bacon and sausage after cooking a bunch of it, it never lasted longer than a week(I ate it all) but it stayed super fresh all week.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 07-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9202 Times on 3970 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

Storage life of just about anything is tied to the temperature and atmosphere it is in.

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/storage_life_of_foods.htm

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #6

Looks like I'll be making a trip to Costco for a food saver...... and some dried fruit.... Thanks