Stockpiling Ammo for SHTF. - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Stockpiling Ammo for SHTF.

View Poll Results: What is a reasonable goal for ammo, for your primary weapon for when SHTF?
100 rounds 2 2.63%
500 rounds 7 9.21%
1000 rounds 22 28.95%
2000 rounds 13 17.11%
5000 rounds 20 26.32%
10,000 rounds 5 6.58%
20,000 rounds 7 9.21%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 635

He's saying why should he be worried about listing the guns he has. As in the Govt. may read it, and come take his guns. Some people are reluctant to list what they have for this and other reasons........

Also, I would tend to agree with the military personnel deserting in a situation like that. Later, but maybe not in the 1st days before it gets bad.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #72

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
If money was no object for me, the sky would be the limit. Since it is, 1K per round needed is still a LONG way off. Does anyone here stock any quantity of higher quality ammo, or just Walmart stuff? By High Quality, I mean good HP defense loads for the handguns, and better ammo for the rifles. I have been thinking about picking up 5 boxes each of Hornady Critical Defense, in 9mm, & 40 S&W. Pretty pricey, though.
I personally would not be caught live without my critical defense .40sw pricey yes but my two legged treasures are more than worth it. I find winchester fmj still pack a mean punch on the ballistic gel. so I keep 500 on hand just for training. as for 12 gauge... not even sure but not as much as I like. but blind side is expensive. :-)

Old 12-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #73
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 982 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 392

The Winchester PDX1 are nasty little rounds also, about $21 a box of 20. Haven't tried Critical defense yet, I hear they're the same as the Zombie Max just a different colored tip, and the ZM cost about 1/2 as much. Critical Duty either, but both sound intriguing.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #74

I'm still just trying to sort out which of these rounds from Hornady I should be carrying. I am leaning towards Critical defense for the small CC auto (Sig P938), and Critical Duty for the Beretta 96A1 & CX4. Problem is the CD in 9mm isn't really to be had right now on the internet. I noticed that the prices are way lower than at the LGS. Midway in particular has everything I want listed, but 1/2 of it is out of stock. I'd be more than willing to wait for it, but they seem to want to send the in stock items now, and the out of stock items later, and charge shipping twice.....

Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

My theory is that since everyone in Suburban areas are going to be bugging out to rural areas, I'll have an entire neighborhood to myself. That and my parents own a restaurant. So food shouldn't be a problem if I have any inkling that we need to consolidate. I'm staying put.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #76

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

by whether you live in city, suburban, rural, or very isolated environments.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #77

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I'm still just trying to sort out which of these rounds from Hornady I should be carrying. I am leaning towards Critical defense for the small CC auto (Sig P938), and Critical Duty for the Beretta 96A1 & CX4. Problem is the CD in 9mm isn't really to be had right now on the internet. I noticed that the prices are way lower than at the LGS. Midway in particular has everything I want listed, but 1/2 of it is out of stock. I'd be more than willing to wait for it, but they seem to want to send the in stock items now, and the out of stock items later, and charge shipping twice.....
I'm an ammo hoarder and have to tell ya my thought on this is that every gun in any one caliber is loaded with the same ammo, and that ammo has to be available in bulk. I get Federal 9bp from Bulkammo.com and Sportsmans' Guide We have an XD and 2 Hi Powers and it shoots in all of them. I used to love those little jewel boxes full of sparkling brass and copper as much as anyone but after the ammo shortages in our recent past I need lots of something that works. There are minimum standards, no junk, and no 22lr bulk. Mine leans heavily towards Federal and CCI. My amounts are detemined by how much the Action Packer holds and if it isn't enough I get MTM cases and pack it tighter. If you start at the lower end to reach your goal you can upgrade your stash later and use the older stuff for practice. As you practice it may become clear that the high dollar ammo just doesn't make enough difference.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #78

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
I'm an ammo hoarder and have to tell ya my thought on this is that every gun in any one caliber is loaded with the same ammo, and that ammo has to be available in bulk. I get Federal 9bp from Bulkammo.com and Sportsmans' Guide We have an XD and 2 Hi Powers and it shoots in all of them. I used to love those little jewel boxes full of sparkling brass and copper as much as anyone but after the ammo shortages in our recent past I need lots of something that works. There are minimum standards, no junk, and no 22lr bulk. Mine leans heavily towards Federal and CCI. My amounts are detemined by how much the Action Packer holds and if it isn't enough I get MTM cases and pack it tighter. If you start at the lower end to reach your goal you can upgrade your stash later and use the older stuff for practice. As you practice it may become clear that the high dollar ammo just doesn't make enough difference.
I've shot Tula 223 and Winchester JHP 223 SD loads, and aside from expansion... I cant tell a difference. $5 o box for the Tula, $32 a box for the Winchester... Take one guess what I stock up on.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by sputnik1988; 12-09-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #79

P35- I have to hit a happy medium somewhere. I realize it's a compromise, but I'd like to have some of the good stuff to carry, and some of the target stuff to practice with. Now, if someone can point to a more or less scientific study that some of the lower priced HP ammo is just as good as the more expensive stuff, I'd definitely consider it. Hornady just seems to be keeping up with the later trends, and loading purpose-built ammo.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #80

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

no .22 ammo that bout sillyest thing ive ever heard goin shoot your food with a 9mm like sum yipy yay gagsta! a .22 is a all around great propose ammo from rabbit-deer let alone i could take down a person with it also you keep your high dollar ammo and your high caliber ammo also i take my .22 less noise lighter carry more ammo not sayin anythang wrong with havin a high caliber i do have them also but i plan on usin the .22 and the .22 magnum as much as possible