Stockpiling Ammo for SHTF. - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Stockpiling Ammo for SHTF.

View Poll Results: What is a reasonable goal for ammo, for your primary weapon for when SHTF?
100 rounds 2 2.63%
500 rounds 7 9.21%
1000 rounds 22 28.95%
2000 rounds 13 17.11%
5000 rounds 20 26.32%
10,000 rounds 5 6.58%
20,000 rounds 7 9.21%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 985 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
BUT, what about accuracy? In a high stress situation where you're blowing off a crapload of rounds, is premium ammo going to do you any good? Just wondering
When I said this, I was imagining possibly being overrun by a group of people. Close range, very high stress. Is your training going to slow you down and make every shot count? I don't know. I have never been there. Hope I never am.

As far as bugging out goes......Can I assume that most of the people who talk about this are city or heavy urban dwellers? I also imagine that those people will be leaving their residences, and looking for somewhere less populated. Like where? Around here, there is not really any sparsely populated land to speak of. You could probably bet that those couple areas will be closely guarded. And, if all of the people in the nearby cities come here, it will no longer be sparsely populated. I think it's safe to assume that you will not be the only one with your sights set on a piece of land.....or on the animals that inhabit it.

So for me, staying here would probably be it. We live in a semi-rural area. everything we have & need is here. (For now) I see no benefit to going out into the woods, and still having neighbors. If i lived in the city, my opinion would probably be more like "I'm screwed." The bigger the city, the more screwed.

And, who says cars will still be a viable mode of transportation? They need fuel, and a clear road. Would no one think to set up "tolls", or an ambush maybe?

Old 12-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #62

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Biggest drawback with a ton of ammo is bug out's pretty much impossible. You'll be making a stand where ever your stash is.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1228 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 2480

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
When I said this, I was imagining possibly being overrun by a group of people. Close range, very high stress. Is your training going to slow you down and make every shot count? I don't know. I have never been there. Hope I never am.

That's when when you have to remember that making every shot count is especially important. If you miss in that situation you are in trouble. I don't think training would prepare you for that, but experience would. Very few of us have that sort of experience, but you can still gain a lot of experience hunting. While hunting you learn that if you don't make the shot count you don't go home with meat in the freezer. The more you need meat in the freezer the more pressure you have to get something.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #64

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
That's when when you have to remember that making every shot count is especially important. If you miss in that situation you are in trouble. I don't think training would prepare you for that, but experience would. Very few of us have that sort of experience, but you can still gain a lot of experience hunting. While hunting you learn that if you don't make the shot count you don't go home with meat in the freezer. The more you need meat in the freezer the more pressure you have to get something.
I have a little bit different perspective on training vs. experience. Practical training, meaning getting off the bench, shooting multi position as well as slow, timed and rapid fire, competition, three-gun, IPSC, etc. builds muscle memory. At some point you don't think about what u r doing -- it just sorta happens.

When u r lookng BACK at your shooting performance u will know u have arrived Grasshopper...

Old 12-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #65

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
I have a little bit different perspective on training vs. experience. Practical training, meaning getting off the bench, shooting multi position as well as slow, timed and rapid fire, competition, three-gun, IPSC, etc. builds muscle memory. At some point you don't think about what u r doing -- it just sorta happens.

When u r lookng BACK at your shooting performance u will know u have arrived Grasshopper...
I agree. I've never been in a shoot out. But I've wrestled and competed in Brazilian ju jitsu. I'm talking about getting nervous, days before the competition, then nerve wracked, the day of... Stepping into a mat and seeing all your peers around you, watching. Cameras filming. You want to puke. Then it starts and BOOM! Your training takes over, you revert back to muscle memory and its over.
They say you revert back to your lowest level of training when you experience adrenal dump, and your 02 levels drop from physical exertion, so always train the basics, and train until you can't get it wrong.

I have to say I agree.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 12-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #66

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default HockaLouis' Ammo Axioms

OK, here're my points...

1. A gun is useless w/out ammo
  2. It is better to have more ammo than you need than less
  3. Buying ammo isn't consuming it -- it retains a value
  4. Invest significantly in ammo

Last edited by HockaLouis; 12-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.
clr8ter Likes This 
Old 12-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 982 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:

And, who says cars will still be a viable mode of transportation? They need fuel, and a clear road. Would no one think to set up "tolls", or an ambush maybe?
Exactly! If a local militia or warlord doesn't, the military sure as h*ll will set up checkpoints of some kind!

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #68

Liked 985 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

And I hadn't even thought of the Military when I wrote that. Good point.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 982 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
And I hadn't even thought of the Military when I wrote that. Good point.
The plus side is I truly believe many if not most would desert rather than potentially have to fight against family! Their first priority would be to go help their families in a situation like that.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #70

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchhatchery
i think best to have a .22/.22 mag for hunting i have both i perfer a .223 and a 12 guage buckshot for protection my handgun and buck knive for close fighting my other notiion why people so wary on listing what guns ammo they have who are you scared of and why are you scared? is this not still AMERICA? i should not have to hide anythang if i want to list what guns and ammo i have is fine do i have to do it exactly to what i have no if i have to live in fear of big brother coming to take whats mine id rather die trien to take a few of the basterds with me then living in fear LIBERTY OR DEATH!
Ummm, what?