Stockpiling Ammo for SHTF. - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Stockpiling Ammo for SHTF.

View Poll Results: What is a reasonable goal for ammo, for your primary weapon for when SHTF?
100 rounds 2 2.63%
500 rounds 7 9.21%
1000 rounds 22 28.95%
2000 rounds 13 17.11%
5000 rounds 20 26.32%
10,000 rounds 5 6.58%
20,000 rounds 7 9.21%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

TL...;
Funny u say that. I've never really understood the comment "it's good enough for plinkin'." Plinking!? In otherwords, if they're not shooting in a formal competition, trying to squeek out every point and every X, then it doen't matter if you hit your target well? I do not buy the cheapest stuff there is (though some surplus), especially in .22 LR and then try to see which is least worse and defend myself for not having spent an extra few dollars. Are these cheapskates kidding!?

Shoot less, challenge yourself, learn more, practice better, hit your targets with better groups consistantly, survive, thrive.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:48 AM   #52

Liked 4133 Times on 2023 Posts
Likes Given: 800

All one needs to do is be a student of History... It tends to repeat itself.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #53

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
If money was no object for me, the sky would be the limit. Since it is, 1K per round needed is still a LONG way off. Does anyone here stock any quantity of higher quality ammo, or just Walmart stuff? By High Quality, I mean good HP defense loads for the handguns, and better ammo for the rifles. I have been thinking about picking up 5 boxes each of Hornady Critical Defense, in 9mm, & 40 S&W. Pretty pricey, though.
I only buy JHP and SP ammo for most of my handguns, especially the 9mm, as far as the stockpile goes anyway. It's not premium ammo by any means but a much better defense load than WWB.

As for my rifles, I like to keep a decent quantity (depending on cost) of soft points on hand, but mostly Tula, Federal, American Eagle or surplus FMJs.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by sputnik1988; 12-07-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #54

Liked 1028 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
I don't see hollow points as a plus for a SHTF situation.
You think animals are the only thing that might need to get shot in SHTF? Granted, not having to shoot anything but soda cans would be preferable, but unlikely.

Quote:
There was something that came up in another thread that got me to thinking. The thread was about weapon reliability, and I realized that a weapon functioning properly is one part of reliability but so is being able to always hit what you are shooting at. In other words accuracy. Premium ammo generally gives you better accuracy. The bullet is also much more likely to perform as intended. Cheap ammo is ok for plinking but if it ain't accurate then it's not reliable and therefore not worth having.
Since you load your own ammo, I hear you. And I'm envious. BUT, what about accuracy? In a high stress situation where you're blowing off a crapload of rounds, is premium ammo going to do you any good? Just wondering......

Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #55

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Like others, I question the need for large quantities of ammo. Holed up in your three bedroom brick ranch in suburbia won't last long. Then you've gotta leave - because there is nothing there to sustain you for a long time. Then you've gotta abandon your 500 pounds of ammo and 150 pounds of guns and take the bare minimum that doesn't slow you down physically.

That usually means 22LR rifle and a handgun. This gets down to just a few hundred rounds of 22LR and perhaps 9MM. Boots, clothes, medical supplies, food and water then make the major weight contributors - and the most important.
And, oh, by the way, don't have a heart attack because of the totally sedentary lifestyle your poor body has been living for the past 40 years... Be honest about this. Not many people living in today's America can go running around the country side on foot - searching for food, water, and safety and survive.
Let's face it, not many people can make it from the outer reaches of the typical mall parking lot to the grocery store without major troubles and huffing and puffing.

Those posters describing running out of 50 cal ammo were not referring to a SHTF scenario - but rather a government sponsored shoot-out and government supply system in place scenario that they saw or heard of - abroad --- much different from a SHTF - I'm on my own scenario.
Yes, things will be different. And hundreds of pounds of ammo is not likely to make a difference.
Physical fitness will ... and there is not much of that in these United States of America.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Like others, I question the need for large quantities of ammo. Holed up in your three bedroom brick ranch in suburbia won't last long. Then you've gotta leave - because there is nothing there to sustain you for a long time. Then you've gotta abandon your 500 pounds of ammo and 150 pounds of guns and take the bare minimum that doesn't slow you down physically.

That usually means 22LR rifle and a handgun. This gets down to just a few hundred rounds of 22LR and perhaps 9MM. Boots, clothes, medical supplies, food and water then make the major weight contributors - and the most important.
And, oh, by the way, don't have a heart attack because of the totally sedentary lifestyle your poor body has been living for the past 40 years... Be honest about this. Not many people living in today's America can go running around the country side on foot - searching for food, water, and safety and survive.
Let's face it, not many people can make it from the outer reaches of the typical mall parking lot to the grocery store without major troubles and huffing and puffing.

Those posters describing running out of 50 cal ammo were not referring to a SHTF scenario - but rather a government sponsored shoot-out and government supply system in place scenario that they saw or heard of - abroad --- much different from a SHTF - I'm on my own scenario.
Yes, things will be different. And hundreds of pounds of ammo is not likely to make a difference.
Physical fitness will ... and there is not much of that in these United States of America.
My intent with this thread was for widespread (global) collapse of ecomony
and society. Localized disasters like earthquakes and storms like Katrina
and Sandy are much different. If you have 200 rounds of ammo you are
likely overstocked, and a week of food you are good. In a global collapse
you need to be ready to support yourself for years.

Stockpiling ammo is only one thing for prepping. I own dozens of guns
because I like shooting but prepping weapons are AR-15 in 5.56mm and M
1911 in .45 ACP. Having ammo in other cartridges is fine but those are my
primary concerns.

First you have to think of what will be the biggest issues, senarios, for you
to deal with, loss of services, electric, water, sewer, fire, police, etc. How
long do you think before those services are back up.

We me it will only be electrical loss that will be a challenge, and police even
today take 20-60 minutes for them to respond. Fire Dept is okay but again
rural. I live on well and septic. So I will have water and septic is 100%
gravity. Yes, I have non electrical pumps to get water out, we need those
now for those times we do not have power for 3 days and still have to water
livestock. I have equipment to replace the loss of electric service, but
conservation will still be a primary concern.

Why does everyone think everything has to be carried out of you home on
your back. I would guess that most of us own cars or trucks? Also do you
have somewhere to go, or should you be looking to hunker down where you
are at. If you do not have acreage in the country to flock to how about a
panic or reinforced safe room in your house. I am a welder so I would not
find it impossible to line one room with AR plate and re-inforced walls and
doors.

You have to think outside the box on this, working with other like minded
individuals whom you can completely trust. The Trust part is the most
difficult part.

I am rural, I have no where else to go, so I am making preparations to
stay. My main concern is roving gangs looking for water, food and supplies.
I will defend my property. I expect my few neighbors to join in that effort, I
know several who will likely leave as they have option further out. Many will
stay. Most of us have livestock and gardens, the loss of electrically power
will be more of an inconvienence. Many of us have bulk fuel on our farms so
that will be a benefit.

Here is an idea, when you have a free weekend, turn your main breaker in
your electrical panel off for the weekend and pretent that the water is not
working if you are on city water and what it will be like. No flushing toilets,
not water to drink fridge getting warm, frozen food thawing. You can use
your generator if you have one, but you cannot go get any gas but what you
have... your mind set has to completely change.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 12-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #57

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Shade... I completely agree with you. You're talking rural property defense. And that is excellent.
I was referring to the vast majority of people in the US - and what a SHTF would mean to them. They would become the hoards that you would be defending your property against... unfortunately. These same people you are "talking" to on this forum...

Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #58

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby
Shade... I completely agree with you. You're talking rural property defense. And that is excellent.
I was referring to the vast majority of people in the US - and what a SHTF would mean to them. They would become the hoards that you would be defending your property against... unfortunately. These same people you are "talking" to on this forum...
Agreed!!!!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1302 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 2723

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
TL...;
Funny u say that. I've never really understood the comment "it's good enough for plinkin'." Plinking!? In otherwords, if they're not shooting in a formal competition, trying to squeek out every point and every X, then it doen't matter if you hit your target well? I do not buy the cheapest stuff there is (though some surplus), especially in .22 LR and then try to see which is least worse and defend myself for not having spent an extra few dollars. Are these cheapskates kidding!?

Shoot less, challenge yourself, learn more, practice better, hit your targets with better groups consistantly, survive, thrive.
When I added the word "plinking" I was thinking of a friend of mine. He doesn't shoot a gun that doesn't have a full 30 round mag. and he doesn't stop shooting until the magazine is empty. Cheap inaccurate ammo is ok for him because he uses the spray and pray method. I in no way agree with his philosophy, but that's how he chooses to shoot (he does eventually hit the target). I should have probably said "blow through as much ammo as possible in the least amount of time" rather than using the word "plinking", but that is what I had in mind when I said cheap ammo is ok for plinking.

I don't recommend anyone shoot that way, but I know that some do. If so then cheap ammo is ok for you.

"BUT, what about accuracy? In a high stress situation where you're blowing off a crapload of rounds, is premium ammo going to do you any good? Just wondering......" clr8ter

I think quality ammo is even more important in a high stress situation, and I don't recommend ever blowing through ammo. I remember the first deer I ever had a really good shot on. She walked out about 10 yards from me and I missed her. I aimed, got really excited, jerked the trigger, and missed. I was an excited 12 year old and I still remember it like it was yesterday. That's when I learned that you just can't get excited and you have to make the shot count no matter how easy it looks. If that hadn't happened to me I wouldn't have believed anyone could miss something the size of a deer from 10 yards away. I learned then just how easy it is.

Hock was dead on with his statement "Shoot less, challenge yourself, learn more, practice better, hit your targets with better groups consistantly, survive, thrive."

I'll add to that practice, practice, practice and don't just spend all of your time shooting from a bench. Go hunting, and when at the range shoot from different positions including standing.

It doesn't do any good to shoot and miss. If you're going to shoot and miss then you might as well have an air horn instead of a gun. Take your time and make the shot count.

Just my .02

Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Very valid point...

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy