Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Stockpiling Ammo for SHTF.

View Poll Results: What is a reasonable goal for ammo, for your primary weapon for when SHTF?
100 rounds 2 2.63%
500 rounds 7 9.21%
1000 rounds 22 28.95%
2000 rounds 13 17.11%
5000 rounds 20 26.32%
10,000 rounds 5 6.58%
20,000 rounds 7 9.21%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The problem with stock piling vast amounts of ammo is if you have to abandon your current location you can only carry so much. All the rest is left behind for potential enemies.
There are ways around that. Also your location is important. I am rural
and plan on bugging in. So my plans are to re-inforce the farm and make a
stand, if I am force off, I would plan on retaking it. But I figure my main
concern is keeping away roving gangs of thieves. In reality, they are going
to look for easy targets, mine will not be an easy target.

Kinda like if a you and a few of your friends are being chased by a bear,
you do not have to be the fastest, just do not be the slowest.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1954

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I probably should have said crisis, rather than collapse.

I have little doubt that a full economic collapse would turn the world on it's head.
I agree with you on that one. An economic crisis or decline is very likely, but a total collapse is much less likely but still worth preparing for.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #43

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

long term ammo storage? i keep my ammo in cabelas ammo cans their plastic but have a rubber seal around it i often wonder when people say long term ammo i think any ammo bought today will out live most of us just laying on the shelf in the barn i have shot many ammo that was just left in garage no heat just regular weather changes the ammo was bought in the 70s early 80s it was 12 guage ammo and .22 ammo all shot fine the only reason i put my ammo in cans is because Cabelas sends dry boxes free with bulk ammo purchases why not store em in em but i dont think its a must

Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #44

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988

Have you tried any long term storage options? Those .50 cal ammo cans are cheap, waterproof and are good containers if you ever had to grab and go.

Bass pro had some unissued cans for $10 so I picked up 3.

Just a suggestion.
I actually have 3 in the safe full of ammo.
Thanks though.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #45

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade

There are ways around that. Also your location is important. I am rural
and plan on bugging in. So my plans are to re-inforce the farm and make a
stand, if I am force off, I would plan on retaking it. But I figure my main
concern is keeping away roving gangs of thieves. In reality, they are going
to look for easy targets, mine will not be an easy target.

Kinda like if a you and a few of your friends are being chased by a bear,
you do not have to be the fastest, just do not be the slowest.
We plan on bugging in as well. And if we do bug out, we'll probably only drive around the lake to the other side.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #46

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Love this post.

I am prettysure were gonna end up buggin inatleast for the beginning. Theres a river right next to our house. We live in a suburban area but noone behind us or in front. Wifes inlaws are rural. And if we had to thats where we'd go. Some how. Im thinkin for 22 its a 5k minimum. And your main caliber at least double that.
I was thinkin about stock piling shotgun ammo but its extremely heavy. But thanks guys for this post. Findin alot of good sh!t on here today.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #47

Liked 99 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 122

My only question is why bother waiting or thinking about SHTF? A couple years ago there was little ammo to be found and what there was had a hell of a price tag. Careful shopping and buying in bulk is just smart. Buy as much as funds and storage will allow. I use Action Packers and those neat Cabelas' boxes with bags of dessicant in each. 3k of 45 rounds can be fit in a small action packer...But you can barely pick it up

Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #48

Liked 815 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 497

If money was no object for me, the sky would be the limit. Since it is, 1K per round needed is still a LONG way off. Does anyone here stock any quantity of higher quality ammo, or just Walmart stuff? By High Quality, I mean good HP defense loads for the handguns, and better ammo for the rifles. I have been thinking about picking up 5 boxes each of Hornady Critical Defense, in 9mm, & 40 S&W. Pretty pricey, though.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1348 Times on 916 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
If money was no object for me, the sky would be the limit. Since it is, 1K per round needed is still a LONG way off. Does anyone here stock any quantity of higher quality ammo, or just Walmart stuff? By High Quality, I mean good HP defense loads for the handguns, and better ammo for the rifles. I have been thinking about picking up 5 boxes each of Hornady Critical Defense, in 9mm, & 40 S&W. Pretty pricey, though.
No, I haven't but I don't see hollow points as a plus for a SHTF situation. While HP ammo is good for combat it sucks for hunting. I either have FMJ or JSP ammo. I hope to avoid any combat if possible.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1954

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I stock premium ammo. It's premium because I loaded it.

There was something that came up in another thread that got me to thinking. The thread was about weapon reliability, and I realized that a weapon functioning properly is one part of reliability but so is being able to always hit what you are shooting at. In other words accuracy. Premium ammo generally gives you better accuracy. The bullet is also much more likely to perform as intended. Cheap ammo is ok for plinking but if it ain't accurate then it's not reliable and therefore not worth having.