Stocking Ammo - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Stocking Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
(Ahem) For those that have already heard me expound on this- go away, get a beer or something- I'll be done in a minute-

Yes, everything from ammo to propane to batteries is good- but what about when the last cartridge is used, the last battery dead?

Want to stockpile something? Stockpile knowledge.

What BOOKS do you have? Yeah- ink on paper. Requires no external power source beyond a candle, and immune to computer viruses and EMP.

Know how to tan a hide? Splint a broken arm? Make beer? Make methane gas (not with beans, beer, and onions, but as a fuel gas?) When the last D cell battery is gone- could you make a basic wind generator? Raise vegetables? Preserve them? Smoke meat?

This does not have to be all that expensive- check your local used book store, back issues of Mother Earth News, etc. My SHTF library is 3 bookcases.

Me? I plan to be the Old Man of the Hills that all the young folks want to have living in THEIR bunker!

OK, will put the soapbox away- y'all can come out of hiding now...
very good point. A lot of young people do not know how to make beer and all the other things you mention. MY grandfather Used to tell me stories of all the stuff he used to make living on a farm in Oklahoma like beer, moonshine and many other things. Right know Im 37 yrs old and Im teaching my self how to skin animals preserve vegetables and many other things. If **** hits the fan you can only carry so much ammo with you , but knowledge in your head weighs nothing.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
(Ahem) For those that have already heard me expound on this- go away, get a beer or something- I'll be done in a minute-

Yes, everything from ammo to propane to batteries is good- but what about when the last cartridge is used, the last battery dead?

Want to stockpile something? Stockpile knowledge.

What BOOKS do you have? Yeah- ink on paper. Requires no external power source beyond a candle, and immune to computer viruses and EMP.

Know how to tan a hide? Splint a broken arm? Make beer? Make methane gas (not with beans, beer, and onions, but as a fuel gas?) When the last D cell battery is gone- could you make a basic wind generator? Raise vegetables? Preserve them? Smoke meat?

This does not have to be all that expensive- check your local used book store, back issues of Mother Earth News, etc. My SHTF library is 3 bookcases.

Me? I plan to be the Old Man of the Hills that all the young folks want to have living in THEIR bunker!

OK, will put the soapbox away- y'all can come out of hiding now...
Best advice ever.

OC

"magbum"

Old 09-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #23

I would have to bet that spending your extra funds on buying a generator would be a wiser investment than ammo solely intended for bartering. Having said that, it might be nice to find out what your friends and family own, and if you see a good deal on their ammo, pick some up for them to add to their stockpile.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #24

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Here's a question, maybe someone has already covered this. Say you have been putting a little back and slowly preparing for several months to a couple years and have a way to purify water, grow food, etc, and you have been trying to tell someone very close to you that they need to think about what may happen and start preparing. Not all out but at least a bug out bag that they could make it a couple of days. But this person goes out and continually blows money on non-important things and just refused to even listen to advice.

When the SHTF and he/she comes running to you, would you take this person and help them, or do you think that the attitude they have had will carry over and ruin what you have worked hard for to sustain you and your family?

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 09-10-2009, 12:45 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8828 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

Quote:
someone very close to you
What I do depends on how close.

Of course, if they are close enough, I MAY grab them by the stacking swivel and adjust their attitude NOW.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:19 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Yes, that whole stockpiling knowledge bit is an excellent practice... even when not faced with a drastic situation.

Everybody has their "nitch". It may be in a trade, skill, or craft or something else that they can do better than the next guy. If you know yourself and know what you need to do for you and your family, hopefully everything else will work itself out.

"Be Prepared"... we all heard that somewhere, right?

Old 09-10-2009, 04:04 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
"Be Prepared"... we all heard that somewhere, right?
I believe it was Scar, from The Lion King.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #28
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronguyton View Post
Here's a question, maybe someone has already covered this. Say you have been putting a little back and slowly preparing for several months to a couple years and have a way to purify water, grow food, etc, and you have been trying to tell someone very close to you that they need to think about what may happen and start preparing. Not all out but at least a bug out bag that they could make it a couple of days. But this person goes out and continually blows money on non-important things and just refused to even listen to advice.
A lot of people panic at the idea of being almost entirely self-sufficient. It is such a daunting concept that they refuse to think about it.

So approach it in a less apocalyptic way. Ask them stuff like "The economy isn't too hot. What if you got laid off. Could you live well for a few months with little or no money in the bank?" Or "This swine flu thing might not amount to much. Or maybe it will. Or maybe some other worse epidemic or pandemic will come along. If the stores were closed and there was a curfew, would you be OK being confined to your house?"

When you go to the grocery store, don't embrace the "just-in-time" mode of thinking. Rather than buying only what you need for the moment, buy two or three of each key item. Before long, you'll have a good larder.

Grow your own garden and invite people over for a meal. Explain that the salad -- lettuce, carrots, cukes, tomatoes, etc. -- came from the garden. Serve venison stew from the deer you took last year. Offer them beer or wine you made yourself. When people see it can be done by normal folks, they're prone to want to learn more about it. That's the time to offer to teach them and help them get started.

Quote:
When the SHTF and he/she comes running to you, would you take this person and help them, or do you think that the attitude they have had will carry over and ruin what you have worked hard for to sustain you and your family?
It would depend on the scenario and the person. If it's a short-term deal, then yes, I'd help them. But generally, I've resolved to turn people away in a SHTF scenario if I had tried to get them to think about being self sufficient and they blew me off.

Talking with some friends, they've seen my stockpiles of stuff, the garden, etc. and they've said stuff like "If things get rough, I'm bringing my family over here!" and I've responded "And I'll have to turn you away because I'm preparing for me and my family. I'll help you get started with your own prep work now while times are good. That's where the charity ends." They usually ask for help getting started, then.

A friend who DID prepare and for whatever reason can't get to his stockpile (or if his house burned down, or whatever), I'd be inclined to help that person. They understand what to do already.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #29

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Grow your own garden and invite people over for a meal. Explain that the salad -- lettuce, carrots, cukes, tomatoes, etc. -- came from the garden. Serve venison stew from the deer you took last year. Offer them beer or wine you made yourself. When people see it can be done by normal folks, they're prone to want to learn more about it. That's the time to offer to teach them and help them get started.
+1

This is almost exactly what started my interest in being self sufficent. My wifes grandparents always had a garden and a good stock of homemade redwine or Lemondrop Moonshine. Not only is growing your own food supply (or at least part of it) a good idea in general, the produce almost always tastes better then the crap you get at a store! My favorite was coming to their house nice and early before church and walking outback to smell that fresh sage growing!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #30

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:

A lot of people who stockpile will be screwed if shtf because they will be targets for people who have not stockpiled especially in the big cities. Stockpiling and being prepared is a good thing but there must also be an ability to be mobile. In other words how fast can you grab all your necessity items and move to another area.