Stocking Ammo - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Stocking Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2940 Times on 1532 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
By trading ammo when SHTF, that same ammo you gave away could be heading towards you at high velocities.

S.S.
My thought is to only consider trading bird shot (#6 or smaller) and .22 LR. Legit for foraging but less likely to be used against you.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The problem I would have with bartering ammo, guns, or other weapons in a SHTF scenario is that you have now revealed that you are in possession of valuable guns, ammo, or weapons...just something else to worry about. I have seen trolls on other Forums state that in a SHTF scenario they would acquire life's necessities by robbing others. While this will always be a concern, I prefer not to escalate this possibility.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-30-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good point RL. I've read some of those posts. I'd like to think that it's just internet badass talk.

Of course if it's true, those tough guys have to get past me first to do any looting. I expect a Garand or a 12 gauge to cause a reevaluation of the situation.

My firearms and ammunition will either stay with me or possibly be used by trusted friends. Food and other supplies may or may not be be shared at my discretion.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As far as bartering ammo (or anything elce for that matter) I really do not have enough supplies and ammo for an extended long term real SHTF scenario.. I would have too much to carry to run and I am too old and have a bad hip so I will have to stay put. So anyone wanting my ammo will have to collect it from the muzzle. But I hope it never happens.

OC

"magbum"

Old 08-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Of course if it's true, those tough guys have to get past me first to do any looting. I expect a Garand or a 12 gauge to cause a reevaluation of the situation.
LOL - When I finally got fed-up with the squirrels raiding the bird feeder, I dispatched one and left him IN the feeder for several days to discourage that behavior....might do the same when the SHTF...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That would probably do the job.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-07-2009, 05:42 AM   #17

If you already have enough ammo for your guns, I'd buy toilet paper and lots of spirits, because those are going to be high value if the SHTF for a long time. Get something that ages really nice . In fact you probably could trade a bottle of Scotch for a lot of ammo after alcohol becomes hard to find.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Back in my youth I read a lot of Science Fiction. I remember one story (I think it was a Robert Heinlen novel) where .22 rounds had become the de-facto currency for bartering after a SHTF scenario. I keep a few thousand rounds of .22LR handy just in case.

TXnorton

Old 09-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1470

(Ahem) For those that have already heard me expound on this- go away, get a beer or something- I'll be done in a minute-

Yes, everything from ammo to propane to batteries is good- but what about when the last cartridge is used, the last battery dead?

Want to stockpile something? Stockpile knowledge.

What BOOKS do you have? Yeah- ink on paper. Requires no external power source beyond a candle, and immune to computer viruses and EMP.

Know how to tan a hide? Splint a broken arm? Make beer? Make methane gas (not with beans, beer, and onions, but as a fuel gas?) When the last D cell battery is gone- could you make a basic wind generator? Raise vegetables? Preserve them? Smoke meat?

This does not have to be all that expensive- check your local used book store, back issues of Mother Earth News, etc. My SHTF library is 3 bookcases.

Me? I plan to be the Old Man of the Hills that all the young folks want to have living in THEIR bunker!

OK, will put the soapbox away- y'all can come out of hiding now...

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #20

I have streamlined my gun collection so I primarily have two calibers to worry about, 5.56mm and .308Winchester. I have stockpiles of those two calibers and the supply to make many more.
Of course I still have the .22's, a .300 Win Mag, a .375H&HMag., etc but the primary fighting guns are 5.56mm and .308.
If you are going to stockpile, stockpile what YOU need. If your family and you are taken care of, everything else can just happen. In a SHTF situation for me it would be a matter of just keeping my family taken care of and safe.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)