Sterno ??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Sterno ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I can get a good deal on a large amount of sterno
Fuel. My question is should I stock up on it or not ? I can get 50 cans for 15-20 bucks. I have no idea about shelf life though . Will it last?!

Last edited by onewaywooten; 08-13-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewaywooten View Post
I can get a good deal on a large amount of sterno
Fuel. My question is should I stock up on it or not ? I can get 100 cans for 15-20 bucks. I have no idea about shelf life though . Will it last?!
IIRC, as long as the can stays sealed and unopened, it has a very long shelf life.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7439 Times on 4060 Posts
Likes Given: 15301

The Sterno website says shelf life is one year.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 08-13-2013, 03:34 AM   #4

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

The cans often are not quite sealed so shelf life is shortened. You could likely seal them with varnish or shellac or wax but that seams like alot of work.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:50 AM   #5

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

$15 or $20 is not much money. But I would be looking at something else. If you are looking for an emergency cooking alternative, you might want to look at Coleman stoves. I have one that will burn either Coleman fuel or unleaded gasoline. It costs about $100. I have had mine for close to 20 years. It still works like the day I bought it. And fuel is easy to come buy. I could use the gas can from the lawn mower if I needed to. I have had an old can of Coleman fuel that must be at least 10 years old. It still burns fine.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

mich1377usmc Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

Liked 1028 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 677

If it started to evaporate, you could turn it into squeeze.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:00 AM   #7

Liked 2493 Times on 1620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
$15 or $20 is not much money. But I would be looking at something else. If you are looking for an emergency cooking alternative, you might want to look at Coleman stoves. I have one that will burn either Coleman fuel or unleaded gasoline. It costs about $100. I have had mine for close to 20 years. It still works like the day I bought it. And fuel is easy to come buy. I could use the gas can from the lawn mower if I needed to. I have had an old can of Coleman fuel that must be at least 10 years old. It still burns fine.
I bought one last year, and took it camping this summer. I had lit it several times, but never cooked on it. It worked great other than the limited btu's, so I had to use no. 5 cast skillets.

Have you ever had to change the seals in it?

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-31-2013, 05:38 AM   #8

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

A little goes a long way at least with me, I use it to start fires build a small pile of kindlin and put some on the end of stick light it and boom I usually get a fire going pretty quick.

But it's good for a few different things but really for that price do you ever see yourself using sturno that much or do you have a better plan?

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED