Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > To Stay or Go??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 692 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 715

Default To Stay or Go??

I was talking to some friends about a bug out bag and they said "why? you already live in the boonies, have a private well, and can supply a small platoon." Most of my townie buddies say if the S ever does hit the fan their b-lining it straght to my house.... being in the desert i can see the well being a definite advantage as their are no close (or easy) water sources.
So in a SHTF situation how do you deside if you stay where your at or leave?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Too many possible scenarios...my answer is, it depends.

I will stay as long as I can though.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've already decided to bug out when s**t hits the fan, the reason is my house is in the middle of the town, I was trained to survive the woods not in the city, also it's easier to mount a defense when you can see people coming from any direction. Zombie, military invasion, or even plague I'm covered to a point. The best way I can say weather or not to make the call is just look at your situation and see what could happen in several different possible situations or just wait till it happens and react.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 03-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To me, if you can survive off the grid, I'd stay put. I'm working on that little problem now. My well is dependent on electricity.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 03-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry5081 View Post
To me, if you can survive off the grid, I'd stay put. I'm working on that little problem now. My well is dependent on electricity.
my well can hold 10,000+ gals. and ive recently got a generator that can run the pumps on it.... due to a previous well failure i found i have a 2- week supply with out any conserving (including watering animals, plants, taking showers, pretty much living as usual... im sure it could last 2-3 times as long if needed.) i would like to go solar at some point but the funds dont allow it.....

Old 03-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #6

Liked 1024 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 318

What if the reason to cause alarm is a local one. Got any nuclear plants within a hundred miles? Live in a potential earthquake/flood/wildfire/monsoon area?

I say, have a bag so that if you need to go you can go quickly. Your bag is needed for the scenarios you plan for and even more needed for the ones you don't.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 03-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Don't bug out unless staying at home puts you in serious danger.

Make sure you have one or more bug-out locations if you need to bug out.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5289 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 333

i plan on leaving wis. im waaay too close to milwaukee madison and chicago. all the government dependents will be looking to murder rape and steal everything they can. there are a couple million located in this general area.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
What if the reason to cause alarm is a local one. Got any nuclear plants within a hundred miles? Live in a potential earthquake/flood/wildfire/monsoon area?

I say, have a bag so that if you need to go you can go quickly. Your bag is needed for the scenarios you plan for and even more needed for the ones you don't.
Nope and Nope... where i live its blessing is its curse.. ive really have nowhere to go, theres pretty much nada for a couple of hundred miles, just sand, snakes, and more desert.. (well theirs tucson, but not going there for anything in a SHTF situation..) my biggest concern would be water, as there is none close. Even if you were to find water somewhere there would be a very good chance its contaminated with mercury and arsnic, left from the mines in the area.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:15 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

best place for me is the woods why I keep forgetting take my camping gear out of my truck

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."