Started buying food - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Started buying food

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 863 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
There are SEVERAL threads on emergency preps- and I do not want to see us recreating ALL of them (Egad!) However, to your list, make sure you have a good MANUAL can opener. Yes, you CAN haggle a can open with a knife- but you will use fewer bandaids with the can opener.

Bottle opener and corkscrew for the beer and wine, of course..........
Can openers like p36 and p58 are like $2 at surplus stores.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #12

Liked 1177 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 2063

canned hams go good with beans, chili, rice etc , I saw some a couple weeks ago dated 12/2017 ,
Also dont forget to stock up on water

Old 01-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1713 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 296

watch for sales on stuff your family likes to eat. Efficient and well organized storage will go a long ways to keeping your food edible. things like beans, we'll pick up 20 or more when they are on sale 10/$10. I then vacuum seal the beans and rotate the stock. Costco has big ole bags of sugar. They are put into quart jars and vacuum sealed. Helps with the freshness and keeps the critter away.

Really want to save money, and improve the quality of food for the family, learn to can food yourself. We started as a hobby, and it took on a life of it's own. Friend of ours said my wife would can rocks if she could make them edible... So, what did she do, but canned up some left over orange peels with vinegar, which apparently makes a fantastic general purpose cleaner. We picked up some boston butt on sale, put two in the smoker, didn't require any more energy for two than one. Left overs were thrown into pint jars, and pressure canned. Now we'll have boston butt as a literally free meal.