Started buying food
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Started buying food

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Started buying food

For emergency. I am going to have to do little every week until I get it built up to where I feel comfortable. I started by just getting some canned chili, soup, green beans, baked beans, tuna, chicken, and peanut butter. As you can tell I am new to this so any suggestions on what kinds of food to get and where and how to store it would be a great help. I do not have a lot of room and will probably have to just put it where I can find a spot in the house. I think if I do a little each week I will be ok. Family of 5.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Rice, dried beans, canned meats (Spam, Corned Beef, etc.), Saimin noodles, all are great. Focus on having plenty of protine and carbs. Dry goods are best (for me) stored in FoodSaver bags.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9203 Times on 3971 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

And get things that you eat- because you will be eating them. If you do not like chicken noodle soup, then do not stock up on that. You will want to rotate food- buy new, use some of the older.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 333 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I've been buying about $5 per week in beans, rice and canned goods. Need to consider some tuna or other canned meats. Also, don't forget to put back some bottled water. I have several cases that I got on sale for like $2.99/24. Not my favorite brands but I imagine if the SHTF I won't be complaining about the brand of water I will have on hand.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I got on sale for like $2.99/24. Not my favorite brands but I imagine if the SHTF I won't be complaining about the brand of water I will have on hand.
+1 on that , when your dehydrated I doubt you will really care as long as its wet and clean.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:21 AM   #6

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

When first starting out, it is best to buy the things you normally do, just stack them deeper in the pantry. This applies to canned and dry goods. It probably won't do well for you in time of a disaster to rely on the freezer, electricity can't be counted on unless you have a reliable backup.

Try buying the usual stuff you and your family like, but get double or more in amount. Soups, pasta, side dishes, chili, spaghetti sauce, tuna, ham, chicken, beef, spam, juice drinks and mixes and dry milk or canned condensed milk if you prefer for the milk drinkers and for use in cooking. After you have progressed to having a supply to last a couple of months then you can start thinking about long term storage foods and the things it takes to prepare them and make them tasty.

Decide how long you want to be prepared for, what you like to eat, how you will prepare it, whether you will have a water supply or how to get one and go for it. It does not have to cost a lot, even a little at a time will get you more prepared than a lot of people out there. Remember also for a long term event that you should consider first aid, meds, tp, grooming, teeth, soap, light, comms and a bunch more. There are a lot of links that have been put in this section of the forum for you to get some good ideas.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2235 Times on 1207 Posts
Likes Given: 806

Back when the Y2K hysteria was going strong, I rolled my eyes at storing up food.

I can't roll my eyes at any preparations folks are doing now.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #8

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Back when the Y2K hysteria was going strong, I rolled my eyes at storing up food.

I can't roll my eyes at any preparations folks are doing now.
I was the same way then. I'm stocking up now though. After losing a job I had for over 30 years a year and a half ago I started doing it even more seriously.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Last edited by fireguy; 01-29-2012 at 06:00 AM. Reason: fiksed speling

Old 01-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #9

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Water on hand is a must, however, storing it is not a long term proposition -- you'll need to strain and disinfect other water sources with chlorine (which u can also add a pinch of to water in all those soda bottle u throw away and store that instead of buying Poland Spring), or, filter purify it as with a Berkey setup.

I think the idea of doubling up on what storable stuff you use today is valid, to a point. It takes up alot of room, is expensive, and if you are not looking at nutrition and counting calories you are not doing yourself any favors; will you be healthy and will it last a fortnight, a month, or a quarter!?

Please see Post #4 here:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/best-place-56518/

Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9203 Times on 3971 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

There are SEVERAL threads on emergency preps- and I do not want to see us recreating ALL of them (Egad!) However, to your list, make sure you have a good MANUAL can opener. Yes, you CAN haggle a can open with a knife- but you will use fewer bandaids with the can opener.

Bottle opener and corkscrew for the beer and wine, of course..........

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.