SqFt Veggie Garden Ideas?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SqFt Veggie Garden Ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Default SqFt Veggie Garden Ideas?

So, we bought a house in Feb and it has a nice sized space out front for a garden with old timbers that need replaced as its boundry.

It measures 16'x8'.

I was hoping to do square foot gardening, but only have a few things in mind. I would like to grow:
Cucumber (pickling variety)
Several spices and herbs for pickling
Garlic
Onion (storage variety)
Green Pepper
Jalapeno Peppers
Carrots (maybe)

So thats a pretty limited number of things for a garden which, with that technique in mind, should yield a lot more.

What I need to know is what else you all sugguest growing which will be relatively easy to handle, delicious (of course) and easy to store.

Any info or sugguestions will be hugely appreciated!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Corn and tomatoes are pretty easy to grow. Grow what you like to eat

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 04-30-2013, 04:48 AM   #3

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

This isn't related to your stated specifications, but I'm throwing this out there. Block into planter boxes for space saving ways to grow herbs, etc...

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Old 04-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
Corn and tomatoes are pretty easy to grow. Grow what you like to eat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
This isn't related to your stated specifications, but I'm throwing this out there. Block into planter boxes for space saving ways to grow herbs, etc...
Thanks fellas.

Tomatoes will probably be a very small amount of what we grow as no one here really eats them aside from spaghetti sauce :P

Corn may upset our neighbors as we are closely confined (but boy do I wish I could!).

I actually ran across a seed catalogue last night and found a few other items. We are still open to sugguestions!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #5

So, a little update.

Before work today my two year old daughter and I went to work stripping all the weeds and grass (from where it looks like the previous owners tried to cover over the garden). I was happily surprised to find it in fact was a properly constructed garden with a rock bottom about a foot deep, the worms were plentiful, and dirt itself looks very good (nice rich coloration!).

We want to grow cherry tomatoes for pickling and we also want to do some sort of tomatoe for blending and freezing to make sauce later on. Any sugguestions on a good variety for that role? We are really focusing on heirloom varieties on all veggies.

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun

Old 05-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Roma tomatoes for sauce. Carrots do very well in sq ft gardening- be sure you are planting them one seed at a time, and not broadcasting them. Cukes- do a trellis on the Northern edge, grow vertically (wire fencing- not chicken wire) I like a few radishes, and they grow FAST and get out of the way, and a few beets (eat some of the young tops as cooked greens) Garlic should have been planted last fall. Onions will go around your tomatoes very nicely. Corn does best in a block (pollination)

If you have not read the sq ft gardening book, get it from the library. It really works. When we lived in Colorado, our garden was 4 ft x 100 ft, and we raised enough produce that we were canning spaghetti sauce and green beans. But you put each seed where you want it to grow.

Depends on what you like to eat.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Roma tomatoes for sauce. Carrots do very well in sq ft gardening- be sure you are planting them one seed at a time, and not broadcasting them. Cukes- do a trellis on the Northern edge, grow vertically (wire fencing- not chicken wire) I like a few radishes, and they grow FAST and get out of the way, and a few beets (eat some of the young tops as cooked greens) Garlic should have been planted last fall. Onions will go around your tomatoes very nicely. Corn does best in a block (pollination)

If you have not read the sq ft gardening book, get it from the library. It really works. When we lived in Colorado, our garden was 4 ft x 100 ft, and we raised enough produce that we were canning spaghetti sauce and green beans. But you put each seed where you want it to grow.

Depends on what you like to eat.
Great post!

I havnt read the book but I have read a lot on it online.

Will the Romas need help verticly?

No hope for garlic eh? Thats too bad. Its one thing we would certainly use a lot of.

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun

Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Romas are a pretty sturdy bush but you will need a cage or something to help support them because the fruits do get heavy.

Grow what you already eat and don't feel like you have to use all the available space. I know I usually plant more than I can maintain and I've been trying hard the last few years to not overreach.

I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't pickle many of those cherry tomatoes. There's a song about homegrown tomatoes...

Old 05-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #9

Thanks GreenOak!

As I said, having very close neighbors, I want to be as corteous as I can in my selection. As long as we arent talking about 5+ foot plants, we should be good.

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun

Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1232 Times on 794 Posts
Likes Given: 2485

Definitely plant a couple of tomato plants. Your family might become tomato eaters after trying a fresh tomato.

And put the tomatoes on the northern edge as well.

Zucchini (or yellow squash) might be worth a try as well. It grows easily and produces well. Beans are also very good producers and easy to do.

A great online resource for seeds is the seed saver exchange. They do heirloom variety plants just in case you want to save the seeds and plant them again the following year. They also have a large variety of plants that you just don't see anymore.

And the corn will get pretty tall. Fresh corn is great but I would pass on that one if space is an issue.

Last edited by TLuker; 05-01-2013 at 02:21 AM.
BigByrd47119 Likes This