Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   SqFt Veggie Garden Ideas? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/sqft-veggie-garden-ideas-89822/)

BigByrd47119 04-30-2013 03:42 AM

SqFt Veggie Garden Ideas?

So, we bought a house in Feb and it has a nice sized space out front for a garden with old timbers that need replaced as its boundry.

It measures 16'x8'.

I was hoping to do square foot gardening, but only have a few things in mind. I would like to grow:
Cucumber (pickling variety)
Several spices and herbs for pickling
Garlic
Onion (storage variety)
Green Pepper
Jalapeno Peppers
Carrots (maybe)

So thats a pretty limited number of things for a garden which, with that technique in mind, should yield a lot more.

What I need to know is what else you all sugguest growing which will be relatively easy to handle, delicious (of course) and easy to store.

Any info or sugguestions will be hugely appreciated!

colmustard 04-30-2013 04:23 AM

Corn and tomatoes are pretty easy to grow. Grow what you like to eat :)

Mosin 04-30-2013 05:48 AM

This isn't related to your stated specifications, but I'm throwing this out there. Block into planter boxes for space saving ways to grow herbs, etc...

BigByrd47119 04-30-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colmustard (Post 1231706)
Corn and tomatoes are pretty easy to grow. Grow what you like to eat :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 1231772)
This isn't related to your stated specifications, but I'm throwing this out there. Block into planter boxes for space saving ways to grow herbs, etc...

Thanks fellas.

Tomatoes will probably be a very small amount of what we grow as no one here really eats them aside from spaghetti sauce :P

Corn may upset our neighbors as we are closely confined (but boy do I wish I could!).

I actually ran across a seed catalogue last night and found a few other items. We are still open to sugguestions!

BigByrd47119 04-30-2013 09:24 PM

So, a little update.

Before work today my two year old daughter and I went to work stripping all the weeds and grass (from where it looks like the previous owners tried to cover over the garden). I was happily surprised to find it in fact was a properly constructed garden with a rock bottom about a foot deep, the worms were plentiful, and dirt itself looks very good (nice rich coloration!).

We want to grow cherry tomatoes for pickling and we also want to do some sort of tomatoe for blending and freezing to make sauce later on. Any sugguestions on a good variety for that role? We are really focusing on heirloom varieties on all veggies.

c3shooter 05-01-2013 01:29 AM

Roma tomatoes for sauce. Carrots do very well in sq ft gardening- be sure you are planting them one seed at a time, and not broadcasting them. Cukes- do a trellis on the Northern edge, grow vertically (wire fencing- not chicken wire) I like a few radishes, and they grow FAST and get out of the way, and a few beets (eat some of the young tops as cooked greens) Garlic should have been planted last fall. Onions will go around your tomatoes very nicely. Corn does best in a block (pollination)

If you have not read the sq ft gardening book, get it from the library. It really works. When we lived in Colorado, our garden was 4 ft x 100 ft, and we raised enough produce that we were canning spaghetti sauce and green beans. But you put each seed where you want it to grow.

Depends on what you like to eat.

BigByrd47119 05-01-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1232492)
Roma tomatoes for sauce. Carrots do very well in sq ft gardening- be sure you are planting them one seed at a time, and not broadcasting them. Cukes- do a trellis on the Northern edge, grow vertically (wire fencing- not chicken wire) I like a few radishes, and they grow FAST and get out of the way, and a few beets (eat some of the young tops as cooked greens) Garlic should have been planted last fall. Onions will go around your tomatoes very nicely. Corn does best in a block (pollination)

If you have not read the sq ft gardening book, get it from the library. It really works. When we lived in Colorado, our garden was 4 ft x 100 ft, and we raised enough produce that we were canning spaghetti sauce and green beans. But you put each seed where you want it to grow.

Depends on what you like to eat.

Great post!

I havnt read the book but I have read a lot on it online.

Will the Romas need help verticly?

No hope for garlic eh? Thats too bad. Its one thing we would certainly use a lot of.

greenoak 05-01-2013 02:15 AM

Romas are a pretty sturdy bush but you will need a cage or something to help support them because the fruits do get heavy.

Grow what you already eat and don't feel like you have to use all the available space. I know I usually plant more than I can maintain and I've been trying hard the last few years to not overreach.

I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't pickle many of those cherry tomatoes. There's a song about homegrown tomatoes...

BigByrd47119 05-01-2013 02:24 AM

Thanks GreenOak!

As I said, having very close neighbors, I want to be as corteous as I can in my selection. As long as we arent talking about 5+ foot plants, we should be good.

TLuker 05-01-2013 03:19 AM

Definitely plant a couple of tomato plants. Your family might become tomato eaters after trying a fresh tomato. :)

And put the tomatoes on the northern edge as well.

Zucchini (or yellow squash) might be worth a try as well. It grows easily and produces well. Beans are also very good producers and easy to do.

A great online resource for seeds is the seed saver exchange. They do heirloom variety plants just in case you want to save the seeds and plant them again the following year. They also have a large variety of plants that you just don't see anymore.

And the corn will get pretty tall. Fresh corn is great but I would pass on that one if space is an issue.