Something you need to think about adding to your bug out bag - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Something you need to think about adding to your bug out bag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Nice idea. Looks like this is one more thing i need to add to my SHTF bag.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

We have 3 BOBs and there is a 1gig thumb drive in each with all pertinent info on them. Had them for a while...I pull them teice a year to check to make sure they're still ok, update info or add new info.

Jimmy

Old 08-16-2011, 03:16 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Those "fireproof" safes are not necessarily so. A buddy of mine had videotaped everything he owned and made copies which he placed in three fireproof safes in different parts of the house (including one in the basement) and when the Oakland Hills fire burned his house down there was nothing left of the safes but chunks and ash. His machine tools (including a Bridgeport mill and a lathe) in the garage were all but melted down to slag, meaning they were still recognizable as what they once were but rendered to scrap.

Point being don't rely on hidey-holes entirely.
My family lost most of our possessions and our animals a few years ago in a fire. We were just able to make it out of the house with literally about a minute or two to spare. I now have a safety deposit box at the bank for the sole purpose of storing a small hard drive that I back up periodically with important documents, photographs (fortunately some were able to be retrieved by professionals off the one computer that didn't actually burn), etc.

While I am not advocating this as a solution for any and every possible situation, I only wish I had thought of it sooner before some of our irreplaceable old family photos were destroyed.