Something you need to think about adding to your bug out bag - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Something you need to think about adding to your bug out bag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I like flash memory, but i like DVD or CD backups too. If you could find something to read them with, they will supposedly work after an EMP, supposedly. Of course, cel phones can read some types of flash memory & might be more available.
I've had plenty of stored optical media fail, google the phrase "bit rot". Goes for flash and magnetic media as well though. As long as you make fresh copies every few years (up to ten for flash memory, as little as two for optical) either will be good. As far as a hypothetical EMP, store the flash drive in a metal container (like the pill vial on my keychain) which should act as a farady cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmason2008 View Post
The most important thing to do would be to password protect everything as well. That way if you lost the flash drive or if it was stolen, it would be difficult for someone else to access the documents.
If by password protect you mean encrypt, then I'm with you. Use something like Truecrypt to create a password protected encrypted volume. (And a hidden Truecrypt encrypted volume within the outer volume for the really important stuff).

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #12

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmason2008 View Post
The most important thing to do would be to password protect everything as well. That way if you lost the flash drive or if it was stolen, it would be difficult for someone else to access the documents.
I use TrueCrypt. It's free and easy. truecrypt.org

*edit* never mind. camiller beat me to it.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #13

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

My cell phone uses a Micro-SD card for data, which carries 4GB. I also have a little thingie that allows me to stick the teeny card into it, then use it as a USB flash drive. That extra little thingie is a good idea to keep around so my cell phone could transfer information from phone to computer in an emergency.

Plus, I think I'd be able to actually look at the documents on my cell phone.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-17-2011, 04:11 AM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1977 Times on 1071 Posts
Likes Given: 587

North Korea recently tested a Super EMP device.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 06-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
My cell phone uses a Micro-SD card for data, which carries 4GB. I also have a little thingie that allows me to stick the teeny card into it, then use it as a USB flash drive. That extra little thingie is a good idea to keep around so my cell phone could transfer information from phone to computer in an emergency.

Plus, I think I'd be able to actually look at the documents on my cell phone.
Yeah, those microSDHC cards are cool, available in up to 32GB and you could put a whole stack of them in a metal pill vial along with the tiny reader. You could fit the entire contents of the Library of Congress in less than the volume of a deck of playing cards. The new microSDXC standard will shrink that further. Eventually up to 2TB in the same form as your 4GB card.

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Old 06-18-2011, 03:21 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Great Info guys

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 06-19-2011, 03:14 AM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8273 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10698

Those "fireproof" safes are not necessarily so. A buddy of mine had videotaped everything he owned and made copies which he placed in three fireproof safes in different parts of the house (including one in the basement) and when the Oakland Hills fire burned his house down there was nothing left of the safes but chunks and ash. His machine tools (including a Bridgeport mill and a lathe) in the garage were all but melted down to slag, meaning they were still recognizable as what they once were but rendered to scrap.

Point being don't rely on hidey-holes entirely.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Along with personal data, a digital copy of the U.S. Constitution might ne needed if it gets really bad.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 06-20-2011, 03:41 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I've been carrying a 4gb flash drive in my front pants pocket with our important documents scanned. You needn't worry about keeping it in a water proof container though, mine's been accidentally washed and dried a couple of times and still works fine. LOL

Old 06-20-2011, 04:23 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
North Korea recently tested a Super EMP device.
Wouldnt worry about man made emp devices short of a thermonuke. It takes a amassive amount of energy to fry electronics. Even a nuke hasa short range emp effect due to exponential weakening of the shockwave. A massive solar flare might have a wide spread effect but that much energy will prolly remove ya frome the face of the planet making it a moot point

Schlubs like the north koreans like to prostelize kinda like iran claiming they have stealth missiles and moon landers. Their emp device is prolly a stun gun they got off he interweb....

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-20-2011 at 04:25 AM.