Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Something to consider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Something to consider

One situation I have not seen discussed in this forum or the other two I am a member of are those that concern feral dogs and cats. There are at this moment 100 million pets in this nation and in a EOTWAWKI atmosphere they pose a great threat to those who choose to go it alone and those who have BOL. Cats will decimate the small game popuplation, living off squirrels and other small game will be almost impossible. Dogs will pack up and be in groups of anywhere of groups of 5 to 50 in a pack. Making them a threat to those going it alone and those who have BOL. Remember to feral dogs , YOU are the food.Fido and Tabby may be more of a threat than the roaming bandits(of which there will be).
1. If you choose to go it alone, how would you handle the threat without giving away your position?
2. if you are in a group how would you handle the situation?
Both scenarios have no easy answer. How much ammo do you dispense eliminating the threat?

I am curious. I would like to know how you would handle the problem presented.

TedP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sit, Stay? Nice Kitty?

I hadn't thought about it other than just peripherally. Thanks for the food for thought.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #3

Most people don't consider this. It would be interesting to see how well the problem would be resolved. Remember this. Dogs will take out your deer , wild hog and other games species. Cats will take out your small game. Now when you become the food how do you survive?

This is something I haven't seen discussed but it is a real problem that will have to be addressed.

Ted P.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Asian-American Restaurant Cookbook?

In Korea it's called Kai-Go-gi (kagogi) and it doesn't taste bad AT ALL.

And it's good for keeping the Yang up, apparently....

JD

Old 12-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #5

Yes they are a food source. Better than starving. But how do you reduce the numbers , quietly? Oh by the way you don't have any commercial silencers. Just trying to see how many solutions can be thought of.

Another situation. If you are a single. Where and when do you sleep?

Ted P

Old 12-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

It works, try it sometime!
-------------
Feral Dogs are another story, probably wind up having to give up position and shoot them...unless I can train them to eat the cats.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 12-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #7

Several thoughts.

1) I don't need a commercially available silencer. In the event of the end of days, I can make one in a couple of hours in the garage. And yeah, I have a generator that runs on natural gas, so the lights will be working at my place.

2) Assuming that domesticated animals will automatically pack up and become wild, flesh tearing beasts is a bit of stretch, to be honest. They are pre-conditioned to be around humans, so in the event that a lot of humans are dead, they are going to be looking for their initial "pack', which would be live, loving and caring humans.

3) I don't need to thin their herd to be effective. I can hit a couple of them from 100 yards or further out with one of my good sticks, and let them waste their time feeding on the fallen if I need to get through an area.

Beyond that, traps and snares would work wonders, especially on animals that are used to going to a prescribed location to get food. Bait and dump a couple of them swiftly with a small caliber like a .22lr, doesn't make a lot of noise, but that leads me to another question..

WHO am I hiding from? Because if it's the space zombies, I can tell you the animals are going to be the LEAST of the problem.

In the event it's a foreign invasion, well, a small group of like minded rebels can make a WORLD of difference in terrain they know well and are comfortable with.

Once we zap a few patrols, we can use their equipment and rations, not to mention their coms, to locate and procure more.

In the event of End of Days, worrying about small, formerly domesticated animals isn't really going to be much of a problem to be honest.

Where do I sleep? Any second story structure with a locking door and a choke point like a stairwell that I can barricade.

I think it's an interesting question, but I don't think it's something that truthfully, is going to be THAT much of a problem. Even in Bosnia and Iraq/Afghanistan, animals like dogs were well documented to be "wild" only to adopt a soldier or even a whole group of soldiers and become an officer "pack member". Worn torn, savage brutality or not, the animals remember what it is like to be a human's friend and require/desire to rekindle that kind of relationship, regardless of what atrocities have gone on around them.

Granted, some of them will need to be put down, but I don't see it as a huge problem.

No, Garden Gnomes and Circus Clowns on the other hand, that is a SERIOUS issue.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #8

you don't have to give up the position. What kind of survival weapon do you have? Heavy calibers give you away. Which dogs do you take out first?
Just trying to put some thought into the survival thread. This is done with all due respect to the posters. But in a real live survival situation all possiblities have to be thought of
Ted P

Old 12-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post

Try it sometime
LMFAO!! My Ninja!

Old 12-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

WOOF,WOOF,WOOF,GGGGRRRRRRR.....BAM!!!!!!.......... ..........................................

or just drain the coolant out of all the abandoned cars and let them drink up.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America,and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.