Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Solar Panels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Default Solar Panels

Is anyone running solar panels in a significant way like running a well or generating pretty substantial energy?

If so where did you get your panels? How much?

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'm interested in this thread. I've been online looking at systems and what I would like is awfully high.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Yea I have yet to meet anyone running a decent solar array. It's like running it for a gate. Haven't even seen someone using it for a solar pump.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

There is a new construction home down the road with solar panels covering a third or so of its roof. It is one of the uber-efficient concrete homes made with the styrofoam molds.

Have you investigated making your own photovoltaic panels? A pre-heater for your water heater might be a simpler project from what i've read.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2310032_build-solar-panels.html basic test project instructions http://www.virtualsecrets.com/build-a-solar-panel.html

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 08-09-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #5

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

The DNR have a solar powered water well for wildlife a few miles from my home. No batteries but about 50 square feet of solar panels. Seems to work fine. From the spot its in I would guess it is not a deep well. A very large storage tank feeding a 4 foot by 4 foot in-ground shallow cement water trough.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
The DNR have a solar powered water well for wildlife a few miles from my home. No batteries but about 50 square feet of solar panels. Seems to work fine. From the spot its in I would guess it is not a deep well. A very large storage tank feeding a 4 foot by 4 foot in-ground shallow cement water trough.
Cement water trough = "natural resource" ? That sounds like some mission creep to me.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #7

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

It all depends on how much you want to run on them. In some cases they are use to supplement, only providing 20% or so of needed power. In other cases they can provide more power than needed - this may result in the local utility company installing a 2nd meter to credit the owner (think of it like being your own mini power plant).

In a really ideal set up someone would use multiple methods of self sustainable energy production - solar water heater, solar panels, geothermal, passive solar, etc. Relying on just solar one would have to install a battery bank that would cover any possible shortages of sun for whatever reason.

As for particular manufacturers I don't know any off hand but here's a start for some research,

Solar Energy Companies
USGBC: U.S. Green Building Council

I would talk to a few local Architects and Engineers as well, might be someone can point you in a good direction.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #8

I've had a couple of solar panels for years and they work great for the minor electricity I use. TV, computer, lights etc. is all I am using them for. My neighbor has a much larger set up, but is not really using it for anything more than I am. I've seen lot's of advances in the last 5 years or so. They'ce got some panels that are set in tubes and vacum sealed. They were producing power in the shade! Of course the larger house systems will up the ante on providing power. How much money do you got to spend? Ten or fifteen grand should get you some decent power.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

SCHOTT Solar Inc - | SCHOTT North America
They are doing a lot here in Albuquerque. German co. but mfg and such is here in Alb. the are doing wonders.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #10

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Ojai Solar Electric - Solar Panel Installation