Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Solar flares? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/solar-flares-59929/)

Jaybirdzz 03-10-2012 10:18 PM

Solar flares?

Whats been going on with these solar flares I been hearin alot lately?

RJMercer 03-11-2012 04:35 AM

Solar activity is up and is said to peak in 2013. It just plays hell with satellite communications and geomagnetics. If the flares get terribly radical it will induce noise onto terrestrial communication lines and the electrical grid. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you cant get a compass to point to magnetic north. That's a magnetic field disruption that could cause bigger problems.

paintsplat 03-11-2012 04:38 AM

From what I gather the sun is in its last part of an eleven year cycle and between now and sometime next year is suppose to be the strongest in flares and solar activity, which could produce flares strong enough to short out some power grids, shut down communications, short out satellites, so on and so forth, at least in a nut shell that's what I understand.

hiwall 03-11-2012 01:57 PM

And then there are some that say it could cause the end of the world as we know it. But I would not worry about something that you have no control over.

dog2000tj 03-11-2012 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Repent, and thou shalt be saved ;)

Jaybirdzz 03-11-2012 09:35 PM

Yeah im just not sure when they were supposed to hit and if they already did hit

kaido 03-11-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybirdzz
Yeah im just not sure when they were supposed to hit and if they already did hit

I'm thinking they already hit sometime last night.
Most everyone I've talked to had their lights flicker around the same time.
Didn't last all to long, but was surely enough to get everybody to notice it happening.

Soliferrum 03-12-2012 03:24 AM

the sun is in an active 10 year sweep since 2001. there have been 1000's of solar flares since 2001 but now this year alone they are super famous because the the ever fu*king retarded mayan prediction that even if you have a small small voice in the back of your mind goes "they could be right" shoot yourself so your children wont polute the gene pool.

Solar flares have been known to mess with all electronics across the world in different ways. the big one being electricity or "knocking out the grid". It takes 4 days for a solar flares' massive burst of radiation to reach earth. in that time all major life sustaining electronics will be turned off if they themselves are not protected by other means such as faraday cages. those massive fence enclosures around relays arnt just for security. Not to mention that that solar flare has to hit in the right place, with the earth being on the correct side, and for the flare to go off in the right direction towards us.

one such solar flare could knock out power to the U.S. it has happened before in the 1800s...i think it was. the late 1800's anyway - compared to that it would fry electronics that have a current in them. which is pretty amazing but scary. but thank goodness those massive power companies have a **** ton of contingencies for that exact specific occassion as in if massive one did knock out power, the longest one area might go without is 2 weeks. its a good thing they get plenty of practice since the common outage or downing or surge i.e. dimming of the lights or brightening, comes from solar flares.

in other words, a solar flare could most likely knock out power to a massive grid for while. but to the whole world? no. knock it out forever? no. kill everyone? no. i mean it could but there would be no saving yourself from a flare that massive. for it to actually kill people it would fry most of everything and the radiation alone would go about a good half mile into the earth, but our sun isnt that insane yet to start throwing those out.

good god i just cant stand people scared for no reason.

Jaybirdzz 03-12-2012 10:49 AM

Yeah I hear all that I was never scared just never really paid attention to it. I didnt even realized it hit. But I was reading about a little bit when I was first heard and realized it wasnt nothin major

Soliferrum 03-12-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybirdzz (Post 737667)
Yeah I hear all that I was never scared just never really paid attention to it. I didnt even realized it hit. But I was reading about a little bit when I was first heard and realized it wasnt nothin major

naw that wasnt directed at you bud, its just an encompassing comment to all these nut jobs about the end of the world + mayan crap. it pisses you off after you payed attention in school and find physics a hobby, then some retard thinks he knows whats going on "cause i watch the discovery channel." ....ugh.