Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Solar Energy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Solar Energy

Anyone converted to any form of solar energy for their homestead? I would like to get some feedback on price and how much wattage it can produce and if there is a way to store the energy after collection or do you have to just use it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I've done a pretty good amount of research with alternative energy sources. Solar is more efficient now than in the past, but it's still pretty inefficient. There are convection systems that you can use to heat water (which will heat your home and which can be used for bathing) that are entirely solar. Of course, you can get solar panels to charge batteries. But I would also recommend a combination wind turbine and/or microhydroelectric since solar only helps charge batteries in the daytime.

Every electricity-generating a/e system I've seen charges a large bank of batteries. An inverter changes the D/C to A/C and steps the voltage up to 110 so a home can run off it. Smarter systems will draw from the mains as needed.

What you should do sooner than later is determine how much power you use each day and what sort of setup you would need to meet that need. Even buying used solar panels, batteries, inverter, etc. you won't get away cheap; this is an effort that pays for itself over a few years.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can fire away at me if you want to. We have not converted, we just live off the grid totally (ends four miles away).

As bkt said, you need to have some qualifiers in there, and there are ways to cut costs as far as power usage. If I could build again I would make some considerable changes, but then I can make do with what we have now.

-Bidah