Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Solar battery charger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Solar battery charger

I've been looking on the web at different solar battery chargers for AA, AAA, C, and D batteries. I don't want to depend on the regular batteries I have stored. I want to get the rechargeables and charge them up without needing the grid. Does anyone have a set up they like?

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #2

Likes Given: 2

The Goal0 (read GOAL ZERO) is really nice, but pricey. I just ordered some chinese cheapies from ebay, I'll let you know if they are worth a damn when the show up.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 08-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #3

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

you can buy solar patio lights. they have 1 or 2 AA batteries in already and a solar charger. Plus can be used for lighting or as a flashlight. Harbor Freight has a solar charger for about $10 that has many good reviews.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:10 AM   #4

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I looked at the Goal0 stuff on Promotive and I was like you, it is kind of expensive. I think I'll do a Radio Shack search.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 08-16-2011, 04:55 AM   #5
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1703 Times on 971 Posts
Likes Given: 3479

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
you can buy solar patio lights. they have 1 or 2 AA batteries in already and a solar charger. Plus can be used for lighting or as a flashlight. Harbor Freight has a solar charger for about $10 that has many good reviews.
We have a few of them (less than 20) outside, around the house. Estimated lifespan of the 1 AA is between 6 to 18 months before completed battery burnout. The 2 AA models last about 18 months.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:05 AM   #6

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
We have a few of them (less than 20) outside, around the house. Estimated lifespan of the 1 AA is between 6 to 18 months before completed battery burnout. The 2 AA models last about 18 months.
Just trade those out for batteries with higher milli-amp hours, the higher the number the longer they hold a charge, the larger the charge is and the more cycles they will complete. The ones that come with the lights are usually AA 600-800 and AAA are 400-600. You can buy AA up to at least 4000(probably higher too) and like 2800 on the AAA

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST