So, what if you are already out, and need to bug back in.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > So, what if you are already out, and need to bug back in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default So, what if you are already out, and need to bug back in.

the BBI bag, if you will. in my work i travel...alot. all over tehas...the short of it, i frac for a small no name company. where we work, saying out in the middle of nowhere is an understatement. we stay in places like JR's motel and truckstop just so we can be at least an hour away from location. One area that is of personel concern is south texas, border towns. and unless youre retarded, you know why.

We have no personel vehicles. we hire contract drivers to and from. and they leave after each drop off. maybe 2 or 3 pick up trucks that belong to the other company or supervisors/mechanics. So now you are out in the middle of nowhere, no vehicles, and your pretty much the only former military guy working on the crew.

Knowing if we're suddenly attacked by cartel, and it has happened before. people who have rides are gone. and everyone will have that civilian mentality that "everyone for themselves". what would you bring in a back pack like carrier to help you get back home?

Keep in mind, you cant call a cab where you are. 911 is probably a good 2 1/2 hours away, thats if it is even 911 where you are at, let alone get signal. lease roads can be more than 10 miles long and they have no signs, shotty contruction, straight sand and gravel, and only made to last till the job is done. it took an hour and a half to drive out to location so you have about 5 hour walk back to civilization at the least, with or without bad people traveling the roads.

keep the gear queering to a minimum. im talking about out here working, not on a mission.

when i first got this job i was told sometimes we go to laredo, and i was joking when i said "hell, i better bring my gun heheh" ...nobody laughed. they just agreed with me with a straight face.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow. Big question with a ton of potential answers.

Given the situation you describe, I'd personally want a full blown BOB, complete with rifle, sidearm, and appropritate reloads. Food, shelter, and the means to live off the land if necessary.

That may not be possible for you. I dunno what your company policy is (if you even care).

Hmmm bare minimum? .22 pistol, ammo, poncho + liner, a way to carry water, light, and a small survival kit (the contents of which are described all over the 'net - obviously a way to make found water safe, make fire, live off the land, etc, etc) in an innocuous container (pack or whatever) that its presence won't raise eyebrows.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
...it took an hour and a half to drive out to location so you have about 5 hour walk back to civilization at the least, with or without bad people traveling the roads.
You must walk very fast...1.5 hours @ 60 mph is 90 miles!!! That will take me a few days to walk.

Assuming I have CHL, I'll probably bring (at a minimum) a 9mm w/ extra mag and a box of ammo in a backpack. Add some water/gatorade, sun screen, brimmed hat, large trash bags, fire starter, lighter, compass, solar/heat shield blanket, rope, duck tape, knife, breakfast/energy bars.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Last edited by Poink88; 07-27-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #4

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'd go with something like the Smith and Wesson SD 40. Noisy and a big enough bullet that if you get anybody anywhere, they won't keep shooting. On top of a firearm, You'll probably need a flashlight, compass, fair amount of water, and a flare gun wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 07-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #5

well i wanted to make this informative as well as imagintive. what would you do. i have a weapon of course, but i would bring no rifle. i do want to adhere to company policy, but in personel safety, i think its easier to hide my .45 than my AK. they are leient down there, but dont be to stupidly obvious, know what i mean?

Thanks fat pat, i dont know how i forgot about a poncho but its on my list now. if i have to i will start a fire with my fire starter, but low vis is my idea.

poink, not all of that hour and a half is on paved road, hell its not on a road period, at least i wouldnt call it that. trust me, where we go, there is no where at all near a paved road. if youre even trying to do 60 on these roads, you apparently want to die before reaching work.

think of it as a Zombie survival idea. you work in an office 15 miles from home and s**t in your area just went down like Raccoon City. what would u keep on you, I.E. in a back pack under your desk, to get home. cause thats all im workin with.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #6

A good quality poncho, a weapon, ammo, a knife, a hatchet, some food (power bars, cereal bars, etc), water, compass, map of the area, water purification tabs, first aid kit, fire starters, flashlight, and extra clothes like socks, sweater, sweat pants.
Stay off roads and keep in areas where the land can provide you quick cover. Think your way out, dont just run out where all can see you and get a good shot at you.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
poink, not all of that hour and a half is on paved road, hell its not on a road period, at least i wouldnt call it that. trust me, where we go, there is no where at all near a paved road. if youre even trying to do 60 on these roads, you apparently want to die before reaching work.
I am in construction so know what you are describing too. okay so 5 hours walk. You can take my original list (add a small flashlight & extra batteries) and adjust qty as needed. Some you might want to double for good measure esp water/liquid.

Weird as it might sound...an umbrella can help you tremendously in super hot environment. The water intake savings (due to reduced perspiration) you gain is well worth having one IMHO. They make super compact ones that won't hurt throwing in your BOB. Light/tan/Khaki colored (same as the brimmed hat) is your best bet.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 07-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Thanks fat pat, i dont know how i forgot about a poncho but its on my list now.
Youbetcha! The lowly pancho is just so darned versitile! For me, it's a must. Folds up into a nice, compact package too. The liner? Depending on climate, maybe not an absolute necessity, but much less bulky than a sleeping bag.

Quote:
think of it as a Zombie survival idea. you work in an office 15 miles from home and s**t in your area just went down like Raccoon City. what would u keep on you, I.E. in a back pack under your desk, to get home. cause thats all im workin with.
Hah! I work, literally, 5 minutes from my home (by auto) and you'd be surprised at what I keep in my truck!

The reason I didn't advocate a larger caliber handgun (my preference is .45 or .357) is you can pack a heck of a lot more .22 per pound and in the same space.

You confirmed what I imagined: You'd like to be low-key. John 'Lofty' Wiseman, author of the SAS Survival Handbook advocates keeping an "essentials" survival kit on your person at all times. His kit is housed in a 2 oz. tobacco tin (approximately 4.5"X3.5"X1"). His ideas on survival kits and pouches (somewhat larger and more complete) are some of the most thoroughly thought out that I've seen anywhere.
Fire can be an issue if you're trying to stay hidden. For those situations I keep on of the little hexamine folding stoves and eight or ten hexamine tabs.

I thought of something else that would be essential, both in your situation and the urban office worker trying to get home. A map and compass. It's darned easy to get turned around, find yourself facing a river crossing you didn't bank on, or maybe the bridge you were counting on is gone... you now need an alternate route.

Oh! I just remembered: I was thinking what I'd put all this stuff in. A nice, ubiquitous first aid pouch. One of the relatively large ones with a shoulder strap. Every company vehicle needs one, and another first aid pouch behind the seat won't raise any eyebrows.

Last edited by FatPat; 07-27-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: keep thinking of more stuffs...

Old 07-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
I'd go with something like the Smith and Wesson SD 40. Noisy and a big enough bullet that if you get anybody anywhere, they won't keep shooting. On top of a firearm, You'll probably need a flashlight, compass, fair amount of water, and a flare gun wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.
hahah the idea bud is to not be found out. besides my 1911 is plenty loud enough and with 11 hydroshocks i just need to get away not firefight. the other 4x10 rounders will be ICS. flares not a bad idea. it could be useful if i do get lost. maps would be useless. we never know where we truely are out there. we could be next door to where we thought we were going to be, or 100 miles apart. just got to remember to go north. north equals safety.

Last edited by usmcprofessional; 07-27-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPat View Post
Youbetcha! The lowly pancho is just so darned versitile! For me, it's a must. Folds up into a nice, compact package too. The liner? Depending on climate, maybe not an absolute necessity, but much less bulky than a sleeping bag.

Hah! I work, literally, 5 minutes from my home (by auto) and you'd be surprised at what I keep in my truck!

The reason I didn't advocate a larger caliber handgun (my preference is .45 or .357) is you can pack a heck of a lot more .22 per pound and in the same space.

You confirmed what I imagined: You'd like to be low-key. John 'Lofty' Wiseman, author of the SAS Survival Handbook advocates keeping an "essentials" survival kit on your person at all times. His kit is housed in a 2 oz. tobacco tin (approximately 4.5"X3.5"X1"). His ideas on survival kits and pouches (somewhat larger and more complete) are some of the most thoroughly thought out that I've seen anywhere.
Fire can be an issue if you're trying to stay hidden. For those situations I keep on of the little hexamine folding stoves and eight or ten hexamine tabs.

I thought of something else that would be essential, both in your situation and the urban office worker trying to get home. A map and compass. It's darned easy to get turned around, find yourself facing a river crossing you didn't bank on, or maybe the bridge you were counting on is gone... you now need an alternate route.

Oh! I just remembered: I was thinking what I'd put all this stuff in. A nice, ubiquitous first aid pouch. One of the relatively large ones with a shoulder strap. Every company vehicle needs one, and another first aid pouch behind the seat won't raise any eyebrows.
good idea, but again the trucks arnt mine, and they dont stay or they come and go. it litteraly is me+back pack. so that backpack has to stay with me at all times, be light somewhat, but packed with things that are the most important. the good thing is Vader, my para 1911, dosent take up much room and isnt heavy with its ammo. im not much a survivalist thats why i thought this would be good to bring up. and so far i thank all of you for the kick ass help.