Situational Awareness - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Situational Awareness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
C'mon folks, over 800 views and not too many folks have much to add? Let us know what you do/know/practice to keep yourself out of harms way
I started to reply, but then got self conscious as if I was some glaring authority...LOL

Okay, some little things I personally do.

We have highways here that have traffic in excess of 60mph and there is either a turn lane or no median/ barrier. When I drive these roads I try to stay away from the fast lane if I can because it's the closest to oncoming traffic. A driver texting or wrestling with a kid might veer into oncoming traffic, so I just keep to the outside lane if practical.

When I am walking with the lady, or anyone smaller than me, along a sidewalk or in a parking lot, I put myself between them and traffic, shielding them to the building or parked cars. If I notice someone that is fumbling around near a parked car or something I will make a move to cross the travel lane and put distance between us and them.

I try to never stand at the front of an elevator, I prefer the side with my strong hand towards the door.

In a crowd, like a line for a game, while my head is on a swivel, I also stand with my feet about shoulder width apart so that I can create space if I need too. If you are caught off guard with your feet close together you can be toppled, but if you have a decent base, you can take a shove or collision much better.

When I carry concealed and I have a jacket on I always leave it u zipped unless it's just nasty out. I always place my keys and cell in the pocket on my gun side so it has weight. The weight helps keep the jacket down and not rising up to avoid detection, but if I need to access the weapon, the added weight allows the jacket to swing open in speedy fashion.

I don't carry a Glock. This is huge and I remain alive today because of it. ZING!

When I am out an about, I pay attention to other peoples animals, especially dogs. It's cliche', but they can sense when something isn't right. One time I was in Kali and this ladies' little mop dog was going bananas at this little restaurant in Gilroy. It was barking and circling and running back and forth like it was on crack. About 5-8 minutes later there was an earthquake that was centered about 30 miles outside of Gilroy proper. A small one, but enough to get my attention. I remain convinced the dog knew and was trying to tell the owner.

I carry a knife. Everywhere. It's rule 1 really. Without I feel like something is wrong. I've done it so long now I don't even think about putting it in my pocket, it just kind of gets there every morning when I upload the daily needs.

I always make sure I know which way the door swings when I am somewhere new. Much like C3 alluded too above, doors that swing IN are your friends unless there is a mad scramble to get out (fire scenario). In which case you don't want to be crowded into a pull door, so make note of that and prepare accordingly.

Probably some more stuff, but I need to reflect about it...

JD
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #42

Liked 93 Times on 67 Posts

Here's something my dad taught me about driving when I was young and it's stuck ever since.

While drivin make use of all of you mirrors. Constantly. Just glances. You will be aware of your surroundings and the cars around you.

You will see who's behind you, who's in front of you, and who's coming up on your sides.

The purpose is that if that the person in front of you slams on their brakes for one reason or another, or something runs out in front of you, you know where all of the cars are in your vicinity and you can make a snap decision on which lane to move into without having to use your mirrors to check first.

Sorry, run on sentence. I'm glad I haven't had to make a decision like this but it makes me feel more comfortable knowing that I am able to if the situation arises.
People Like This 
Old 08-11-2012, 03:27 AM   #43
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Last night I was in downtown Reno where the Hot August Nights city-wide car show was going on. There were 3 or 4 cops at every intersection, all of them were in a circle facing each other and shooting the bull. Granted it is a low-key event and all, but really? I was paying more attention to the crowd than the cops were. Then again in Reno the general populace is generally as well armed as the cops are.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:10 AM   #44
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1445 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 627

Something to think about: testing done by independent labs has determined that someone on a cell phone while driving is equivalent to a drunk driver (BAC .08 or greater) and those texting are equivalent to DOUBLE that.

If you are on your phone in a public place, your SA quotient is about ZERO. Most people can't watch the kids, smoke a cig, talk on the phone AND remain situationally aware. If you're in public and want a chance to see it coming before it happens, stay off the phone. The life you save may be your entire family and your own.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #45

Liked 4667 Times on 2323 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

I'm outside the US a lot for work, and usually in some crummy country, like West Africa, or some such place. I keep a wallet on me with some expired cards and about 20 bucks in ones. Should I be robbed, I plan on handing the wallet over and making my escape.
However, even in the US. I maintain an upright posture and scan my surroundings. I want to be seen scanning my surroundings. I try to project the image that I dominate my space. I've seen shady people at late night gas stations walk away from me when I look them dead in the eyes and say in a loud, deep voice 'how are you doing?'
I always look for an escape when I enter a place.
Its a good skill to hone.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #46

Liked 4667 Times on 2323 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

Another thing I learned in a class was while driving, never stop directly behind the car in front of you, leave enough room to escape, and know what's the best way to escape, left or right. Saved me a headache once when I noticed the distracted driver lock up their brakes behind me. I cut to the right and onto the shoulder. Their car stopped about mid length of where my car was previously stopped. 'glad I do that' I thought to myself...
People Like This 
Old 08-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #47

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56
Here's something my dad taught me about driving when I was young and it's stuck ever since.

While drivin make use of all of you mirrors. Constantly. Just glances. You will be aware of your surroundings and the cars around you.

You will see who's behind you, who's in front of you, and who's coming up on your sides.

The purpose is that if that the person in front of you slams on their brakes for one reason or another, or something runs out in front of you, you know where all of the cars are in your vicinity and you can make a snap decision on which lane to move into without having to use your mirrors to check first.

Sorry, run on sentence. I'm glad I haven't had to make a decision like this but it makes me feel more comfortable knowing that I am able to if the situation arises.
Look up the "Smith Driving System". It's a way of driving, teaches you where to look and why. To many people only watch directly in front of the vehicles. The smith system teaches you to look far ahead as well as close. Most cdl drivers are taught this system.

Ideally you want to check your mirrors every 5 to 8 seconds.

We were also taught in cdl school to leave room between you and the car ahead of you. The general rule of thumb for big trucks is you want to be able to see the rear tires on the road of the car in front of you. Pull up too far and your hoodline blocks them.

My dad also taught me to never sit in a resturant with the door to your back, you never know who will come through the door ready to do something stupid.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 08-13-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #48

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Yep any time I got out to eat always make sure im facing the door, NEVER have my back to it

Old 08-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #49

I feel like I have been better about SA since joining this forum not too long ago... I try to do a lot of the things that y'all do in regards to noticing things and not letting someone approach from behind without my knowing. I am real big about paying attention to my surroundings in the car. What neighborhood I am near... where pedestrians are around me... I've avoided a collision or two by watching the rear view mirror... I like to test myself be mentally listing at least three things that I saw while driving to work... Try it ... You will find yourself paying attention more to the things you are passing and seeing.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:07 AM   #50

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell5900 View Post
I feel like I have been better about SA since joining this forum not too long ago
that's great to hear and this was the whole intent for this thread, try to convey some tips/wisdom from life's experiences to help others

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD