Situational Awareness - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Situational Awareness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I try to practice awareness at all times. I often see things that those with me at the time do not. I point out those things and I most often get the reply, "Yea, I did not catch that." That has happened as long as I can remember even back to a child. It still happens to this day, and not only when out and about. The same has happened with sounds as long as I can remember. I learned that judging people on appearance is not as nearly as valid as their body language later in life. The nervous guy driving a BMW and wearing designer clothes is more likely to do something than the unkempt guy in rags driving a rusted out Honda.

Another thought is driving into unknown areas in an unfamiliar city. I look for gang tags in the grafitti. If I see tags covered in other tags covered in other tags, I don't drive down that street. I would rather try to explain to the officer who pulls me over for an illegal u-ey why I did what I did than never get to explain to my loved ones that I went down the wrong street.

So, anyone look for tags other than me?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #22

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
So, anyone look for tags other than me?
Fortunately for me I don't run into to many gang tags since I moved to Bennington Not knowing what or who's tags are on the walls is not nearly as important as recognizing a turf war. Good tip Skully

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 05-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #23

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

SA was beaten in to our heads in the Navy but only after I started riding was when it kicked in to overdrive. High alertness has become second nature for me & sometimes I notice too much which is why I wear sunglasses a lot

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8260 Times on 4772 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
And a note to MGH, and anyone that teaches (or has friends/ family that teach)- Hit the local dollar store. They sell rubber door stops. Pack of 2 for a dollar. Put a pack in your desk.

Most classrooms have doors that open IN. If you are IN a classroom, and there is a shooter OUT there somewhere, grab a door stopper, kick it in the bottom edge close to the knob side, get away from the door. Even if someone tries shooting out the knob and latch, it should still hold.

MUCH better than trying to hold a door against someone trying to push it in. And if you never need them, you're out of a buck.
Another good tip that I learned some time ago: You know those automatic door closers on many doors (especially in public buildings it seems to me), the ones with a damper that both closes the door and makes it close slowly enough not to trap a person in the door? The usually have a box with a hinged lever attached to the door and the door frame. If you can tie the levers together as far from the hinge end as possible it will make the door very difficult to open. You can use shoelaces or a belt to do it (I would have somebody else donate the laces or belt!). Makes it hard to open the door because that is where the door has the least amount of leverage on the mechanism. It works better than a rubber door stopper in most cases.

Another thing I have always done is to avoid getting into elevators. Not because I am clausterphobic (I am not) but to avoid being trapped in one in case the power goes out or what have you. This is fine around here where most buildings are not over ten floors or therabouts for the most part. I have run into situations though where you cannot access the floor you want to get to from the stairwell which kinda sucks if you have climbed ten floors only to effectively be locked out of the building. Ironically they do this to keep bad guys from getting access into the building while maintaining fire safety/evacuation routes out of the building. Oh well, not like we can't all use the exercise! The people in the lobby look at you kind of funny when you tell them what happened, I'll just tell them that I like the exercise if they ask why I was using the stairs.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #25
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8260 Times on 4772 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Also, is it just me or does anyone else hate those car doors that automatically lock and you cannot open them without actuating the door lock mechanism? I like having the doors locked, but I also like being able to open the door quickly even if it is locked. I had a guy get out of his car and try to attack me on the freeway (traffic had stopped) because I flipped him off after he had thrown a bag of trash out his window. I was in my old Ford truck and the door was locked with the window down about six inches. The guy was screaming at me and telling me to get out of the truck, so I told him to try and come in and get me. When he got close enough I slammed the door into his face (I think I broke his nose) and he fell back against the center median wall. Traffic opened up and I rolled on down the road, leaving him bleeding in the median. Funny thing is that I had a loaded gun close at hand but didn't even consider using it. I made the right choice in that. Never heard a word about it despite there having been many potential witnesses with all of the people in their cars watching the scenario unfold.

Anyhow, know what options you have at your disposal at all times.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:14 AM   #26

With the rash of shootings that has happened lately and downsouth's topic about race riots that are not being reported I thought I would bring this topic back from the dead.

The idea is to recognize your surroundings, what is going on, who is in the vicinity, what obstructions/advantages are there, etc.

Riots/beatings,
I mentioned in downsouth's thread - http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f13/race-riots-media-keep-down-low-69905/ that in the race riots/beatings more often than not the victim will be likely to be the one who tries to hide. People who go out looking to start trouble often look for those that are desperately trying to avoid trouble, to the point it is obvious. So naturally a small or even large group will pick on the weakest victim they can find. But if you present yourself as aware of your surroundings, and confident in your position than it is more likely you will not be singled out.

Now someone else may end up being attacked but that does not mean you cannot be of assistance. As mentioned earlier in this thread help does not necessarily mean a direct approach. Get to an alarm and pull/push it - keep in mind that most emergency exit doors that are marked "alarm will sound if opened" will do just that. So in a pinch just kick one open, sometimes they are so loud as to almost be incapacitating. Another option is to get clear and make a call - we all have cell phones now a days. But what most don't realize is that many phones can record background while making a call. So not only can you notify 911 of an emergency, you can grab some audio for future reference/iinvestigation by the authorities.

Shootings,
this one is tough - lets face it, these can happen any time, anywhere, by anyone. But in the case of Aurora CO few people took notice of someone leaving out the emergency exit door after the show started. Even fewer realized the door was propped open - FYI - all emergency exits doors close automatically and should close completely! Further folks mentioned that when the shooter returned - through the emergency exit door - they thought it was part of the show!

How many movies have you all been to that had participants outside of the big screen?

In the case of Tucson AZ folks were outside for a rally, focused on the speaker Rep Giffords. Here is something I say at work often to tradesmen - stop focusing on the leaf and take a step back and look at the tree. It can be great fun to be at a public event but that does not mean you can't break away and look around for 2-3 seconds. Had someone been doing so or multiple people been doing so one may have noticed the nutjob walking with intent and a firearm in his hand toward the event.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but keeping aware of your surroundings doesn't take much effort and it could very well save your life and possibly others. The world is a scary place, even more scary if you are afraid of it. So let's hear it folks, thought? Opinions? Advice?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

MrWray Likes This 
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #27
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Everyone has heightened SA when out at night or in an unfamiliar neighborhood. The trick is to train yourself to be SA even when you're going to get milk at the corner store in broad daylight.

2 p.m. In the afternoon, full daylight. My wife an I go to the largest mall in our town to Christmas shop. As we exit our car and start to walk on, I see a gentleman walking down a row of cars looking at different ones. My suspicions weren't too aroused, as he could've lost his car and be checking across rows, however, a quick check of his hands showed he was wearing sap gloves - leather gloves with a pouch across the knuckles that holds lead or steel shot - which are typically used to break car windows prior to stealing car contents or car itself. I quickly entered the mall, told security, and then watched while 12+ guards swarmed, tackled and arrested this guy. There had been a series of car burglaries and they were looking for this guy.

Remember, Familiarity Breeds Contempt. The everyday places you've gone 100+ times are just as dangerous as a gang area at midnight if you're not paying attention.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #28

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I have Spidey Sense -- the question is also what we do with it. It is easy to discount it, write it off, be politically correct, play the odds. That could've gotten someone(s) killed once in my case, but generally it also might have saved some, especially me.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
In another thread notdku raised a question about a person not being able to communicate properly with 911 operators. So JD made mention about situational awareness and I was wondering well, just how aware are you?

So here is your chance to perform a little task - describe in detail your immediate environment that you may be in while at home, work or running an errand or whatever.

I'll start with an example - A couple of years ago my sister and I met some cousins in NYC for dinner. While i am out and about in the city I look everyone square in the face, check there hands and take notice of there walk/gate. It's just natural for me to do that. Corners and blind spots - I make wide turns and keep my head square with them. So here's what happens, the sister and I leave dinner and head out west along the north side of the street. There are few cars parked on this side and traffic is moving east so I keep close to the buildings. But after crossing an intersection I notice a drunken bum about 30' - 40' ahead. Fortunately this section of sidewalk was not heavily populated so I was able to maintain visual contact with him. He staggered all over from sidewalk to building, back and again. At about 15' from me I moved off the sidewalk and took a path along the curb, the whole time keeping my vision square with the bum. What does my sister do? She stares at me like I'm on fire and walks right by the bum, only when she passes him by and gets a whiff of his odor does she realize how close he was.

This is what I'm talking about folks - are you aware of what's around you?
I was born and raised in the infamous neighborhood of 100th Street in Harlem, NYC, mentioned by esteem newspapers to be the worse block in all of NYC's criminal history. And so wherever I walk today I am extremely aware of everything and everyone around me. This jungle instinct has been the staple of my survival even in 'nam. The down side of this is I can't ever seem to let down my guard and relax, (except when I'm in meditation).
Old 08-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
I was born and raised in the infamous neighborhood of 100th Street in Harlem, NYC, mentioned by esteem newspapers to be the worse block in all of NYC's criminal history. And so wherever I walk today I am extremely aware of everything and everyone around me. This jungle instinct has been the staple of my survival even in 'nam. The down side of this is I can't ever seem to let down my guard and relax, (except when I'm in meditation).
that IS a rough neighborhood on the flip side like you said, awareness heightened by that environment probably has saved your life on more than 1 occasion I was born in the north end of the Bronx and spent some time around 233rd St area growing up ... even there it wasn't a good place to be

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas