Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Situational Awareness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Typically I am fairly aware of my surroundings and what is going on in them. This depends on circumstances though. If I am clearly in a sketchy area/situation my awareness is peaked. I am definitely guilty of be too relaxed at times when there is no perceived threat. Something to work on for sure as things are not always what they seem.

Good thread. Food for thought.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #12

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

This is a good discussion because we are showing the need for awareness in more than just dangerous encounters - work, everyday errands, going out to dinner.

A couple of the things that stick with me is knowing where exits are and emergency equipment is in buildings. This is due from all the years of working in construction, I had to know where these things needed to go. So anytime I'm out I instinctively locate them when I am looking around.

Another little tid bit - most businesses have fire alarms with an emergency button that dials out to 911. These alarms are located by the main entrance per code requirements. You've probably seen them, a large black or red box, lots of buttons and lights. The smaller red keypads are annunciators, which are tied into the Fire Alarm's controls. In an emergency direct action may not be prudent or even possible. But a press of the emergency button gets an automatic response.

Keep the info coming boys and girls, someday one of these ideas may save your life

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
bkt

Liked 1303 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 151

This is a great thread! A close cousin to situational awareness is normalcy bias. People get used to their routine and assume (sometimes very wrongly) that nothing is out of place. The worst examples of it are usually when people are looking very bad news square in the face and pretend not to see it; to acknowledge danger exists is really difficult for many people. The Holocaust is the most noteworthy example. Jews in Germany refused to believe what was happening until after they were naked, 20 pounds underweight and heading to the gas chambers.

Learning to be situationally aware can help overcome normalcy bias for short term immediate events (like walking down the street and noticing a shady character you should avoid) as well as for bigger events that may take years to coalesce into something really nasty.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #14

Default Me To...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
In another thread notdku raised a question about a person not being able to communicate properly with 911 operators. So JD made mention about situational awareness and I was wondering well, just how aware are you?

So here is your chance to perform a little task - describe in detail your immediate environment that you may be in while at home, work or running an errand or whatever.

I'll start with an example - A couple of years ago my sister and I met some cousins in NYC for dinner. While i am out and about in the city I look everyone square in the face, check there hands and take notice of there walk/gate. It's just natural for me to do that. Corners and blind spots - I make wide turns and keep my head square with them. So here's what happens, the sister and I leave dinner and head out west along the north side of the street. There are few cars parked on this side and traffic is moving east so I keep close to the buildings. But after crossing an intersection I notice a drunken bum about 30' - 40' ahead. Fortunately this section of sidewalk was not heavily populated so I was able to maintain visual contact with him. He staggered all over from sidewalk to building, back and again. At about 15' from me I moved off the sidewalk and took a path along the curb, the whole time keeping my vision square with the bum. What does my sister do? She stares at me like I'm on fire and walks right by the bum, only when she passes him by and gets a whiff of his odor does she realize how close he was.

This is what I'm talking about folks - are you aware of what's around you?
I do the same thing no matter where I am. Make wide turns, watch everyone walking and notice where they are looking, making sure their path will not come too close. Who is in the checkout line behind me.
Amoung strangers, (like at walmart, busy sidewalk) I make sure I have enough distance for a reaction time. Keep one hand in my pocket and one free hand.

No matter how paranoid/vigilant I am, I know I am still prey to some.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #15
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Situational awareness is exactly like fine muscle memory..... If you don't use it, you lose it. Folks need to become proficient with it, then it just "happens". Unfortunately most of the folks that are very aware, are that way due to an experience that they or a family member has been exposed to.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #16
MGH

And since the big bad OBL is roasting in hell I feel like we need to be even more vigilant. A Mumbai type attack is a definite possibility now.

Working on a college campus I feel like I'll need to be even more aware now. I'm thinking about keeping my .223 in the trunk of my personal car so I can act if something happens. (It's a private college so no weapons allowed, not even for security.)

Old 05-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8312 Times on 3593 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Situation- it is Oh Dark Thirty- you are coming home from a late shift/ trip/ assignation with the entire Swedish Bikini Team- and you really want a cup of coffee and a donut, so you pull into the local mini-mart. Before unlocking your door (they SHOULD be locked in the first place) and stepping out- what are you doing?

Answer- looking INSIDE any other cars pulled at there- ESPECIALLY if you can see exhaust. (potential getaway car there) and looking AT any people around the outside of the store.

Having alighted from your coach, what do you look for BEFORE opening the door to the store?

Answer- the clerk. Yes, clerk may be over at the cooler changing the expiration dates on dairy products, making coffee, etc- but if not readily visible, give it a minute. Clerk could ALSO be in the back room with a stickup artist, and you are about to walk INTO a robbery.

Coming out, donut and coffee. Where are your keys, and what is in the hand you would use to draw a firearm?

Answer- Keys in my left hand, also holding donut. When I get to car, donut in teeth, left hand pushes unlock button. If a zombie suddenly steps into your path, and demands your brains, watch, wallet, offering him a donut does not make much of an impression, but a cup of hot coffee in the face clears your hand to draw, and also slows him down. Donuts only speed them up.

When you close the car door, tap the LOCK button, so that while you are fumbling, cursing the engineer that put the ignition key slot in a hard to see space, your doors are already locked.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8312 Times on 3593 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

And a note to MGH, and anyone that teaches (or has friends/ family that teach)- Hit the local dollar store. They sell rubber door stops. Pack of 2 for a dollar. Put a pack in your desk.

Most classrooms have doors that open IN. If you are IN a classroom, and there is a shooter OUT there somewhere, grab a door stopper, kick it in the bottom edge close to the knob side, get away from the door. Even if someone tries shooting out the knob and latch, it should still hold.

MUCH better than trying to hold a door against someone trying to push it in. And if you never need them, you're out of a buck.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 05-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #19

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
And a note to MGH, and anyone that teaches (or has friends/ family that teach)- Hit the local dollar store. They sell rubber door stops. Pack of 2 for a dollar. Put a pack in your desk.

Most classrooms have doors that open IN. If you are IN a classroom, and there is a shooter OUT there somewhere, grab a door stopper, kick it in the bottom edge close to the knob side, get away from the door. Even if someone tries shooting out the knob and latch, it should still hold.

MUCH better than trying to hold a door against someone trying to push it in. And if you never need them, you're out of a buck.
That is an excellent tip, thanks c3

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 05-03-2011, 02:16 AM   #20
MGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Thats an awesome idea. I've got an old door stop in my cargo pocket right now.

If something happens I can grab as many students I can and hold up in a small classroom near by.

again, thanks for the suggestion.