Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SIR: What About The "Shelter" Effect?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Honestly, I'd worry more about hurricanes, floods, fires and earthquakes more than I would civil unrest. I'll deal with fires and you'll deal with at least 2 hurricanes this year, your chances of massive civil unrest or other zombie hordes are slim to none.

I can assure you that the FBI, CIA, NSA and the Secret Service are doing more to protect this president than any other.
Oh I totally agree, I was just spitballin'. I think the point is that none of us has a crystal ball, and none of us knows what may happen, or we wouldn't be building up a HD arsenal in the first place.

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!

Old 07-08-2009, 01:51 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7620 Times on 3316 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

In addition to the foregoing posts which are some very pertinent thoughts(with the exception of the cannibalism posts- do you guys understand COMMUNICABLE DISEASES ?) would leave you with one other thought-

YOU MAY NEED TO GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE !!!

Right now might be a good time, but I understand that circumstances can force our hands, and you may have to be living somewhere you would not want to be if SHTF.

In which case, do you have a plan to get out of there? SUV, car, 4WD, trail bike, mountain bike, or hoofing it? Even a boat or (skills permitting) light aircraft. Seriously, except in EXTREME cold, an adult can do 20 miles a day on foot. 5 days, you have put 100 miles between you and there. Best system is multi-stage vehicle. My Jeep until I hit something it cannot get past (or it's dry), then launch the second stage- trail bike. That goes until it does not go- launch third stage- backpack, canteen, shotgun.

You would need to take family members into account- but seriously- have a bug out plan. Got some vacation coming up? Rehearse it.

For your education, hunt up some of Dean Ing's books.

Myself, plan to use the helicopter for stage one.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
YOU MAY NEED TO GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE !!!

Right now might be a good time, but I understand that circumstances can force our hands, and you may have to be living somewhere you would not want to be if SHTF.

In which case, do you have a plan to get out of there? SUV, car, 4WD, trail bike, mountain bike, or hoofing it? Even a boat or (skills permitting) light aircraft. Seriously, except in EXTREME cold, an adult can do 20 miles a day on foot. 5 days, you have put 100 miles between you and there. Best system is multi-stage vehicle. My Jeep until I hit something it cannot get past (or it's dry), then launch the second stage- trail bike. That goes until it does not go- launch third stage- backpack, canteen, shotgun.

You would need to take family members into account- but seriously- have a bug out plan. Got some vacation coming up? Rehearse it.

For your education, hunt up some of Dean Ing's books.

Myself, plan to use the helicopter for stage one.
Great stuff. I understand your questions were rhetorical and to provoke thought, but sadly I must answer anyway, and say that we are (a) totally exposed where we live right now, and (2) cannot really move right now (I'll spare you the whole got laid-off story and relocated to this job 18 months ago, etc. etc.)

Also, the family is a hinderance to traveling under NORMAL conditions, so that's going to take some planning. We DO have a boat, but it has no speed or range. I DO have a 4x4 pickup, but it's a tow pig for the boat and is not long for this world. Plus it smells bad inside. Why did we trade that Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x4 for the Odyssey? Oh, that's right - 12 mpg....

Lastly, we just decided that we are taking our kids out of the government indoctrination centers they call "school" and are going to home school them from now on, so we are reading and planning and studying our tails off for that right now. SO much to do!!! ARRRRGH! At least we've turned and are now headed in the right direction....

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!

Old 07-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7620 Times on 3316 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Notice you are from SE Virginia (I'm West of Richmond by 40 miles) Best have a "get outa town" plan anyway- Willoughby Spit in Norfolk was created by a hurricane- one of these days, it is gonna go away in a hurricane. If you are in VA Beach, the average elevation is 12 ft above sea level.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #25

Default Ain't that the truth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I have no problem with Jesus, it's his fan club that I dislike.
Well said. One look at the splintered nature of Christianity is enough for me to avoid it and the other religions as well.

You walk your path, I'll walk mine. We can still meet at the same destination.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_kid View Post
Well said. One look at the splintered nature of Christianity is enough for me to avoid it and the other religions as well.

You walk your path, I'll walk mine. We can still meet at the same destination.
werd .

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #27

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
This is where the good hearted FirearmsTalk member can really shine their light to humanity in those dark days of disaster aftermath. For if society falls into chaos, we know that FirearmsTalk members will be the new elite of a rebuilt nation....
I like the way you think. The idea of enslaving liberals to toil the land does have a certain appeal. But, even casting slavery notions aside, I would definitely think that a FireArmsTalk member could help organize the unwashed masses to care for themselves, till the land, hunt, gather, fish, collect rainwater, etc., in a constructive way.