Simple Wind Generator Over Speed Governor/Regulator? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Simple Wind Generator Over Speed Governor/Regulator?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 03:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Site analysis!

No question about this, I was going to pay a $4,000 fee for 'Site Analysis' when I read about these little gadgets, http://www.solarpathfinder.com and I can't recommend them enough! Some places have these for rent or loan, so you may want to check around before you buy. (I got mine used on E-bay for $80)
This has helped my production by over 30%, and helped me choose my next solar location.

One thing that most people don't consider (I didn't) is that just because you don't have anything in direct sun path doesn't mean your panels are putting out at maximum for the location.
Trees, shrubs and growing plants will absorb solar radiation that would otherwise be reflected towards the solar array.
Direct, line of sight production on most rigid solar panels will account for about 70% of your production,
Reflected light from the surroundings & sun tracking will account for the other 30%.

If you live in a wind area (I live in a marginal area) wind generation may be your primary way to produce energy.
Trees and hills may make a wind location expensive. Taller towers may be required, and when it comes to towers, Nothing beats Heavy Metal!
Metal is expensive right now, so proper site location may save you a bunch of money.

If you have running water available, never underestimate the energy of moving water!
Even a small water wheel will produce large returns over time! The more active the water, the more energy you can extract.

Consider your distance between generation and battery bank.
DC (Direct Current) doesn't travel well, and most all home generators will produce in DC.
Locating your converters/inverters and battery banks close to the generators will keep losses to a minimum.
Pushing AC (Alternating Current) through relatively long runs of wire is much easier to do than pushing DC, so keep generating stations (DC) close to battery banks (DC) and inverters where it will be converted to AC, then the AC current can be transferred to your home or garage.

A centrally located 'Shed' between power generation points (solar, micro hydro, wind) can easily serve as your 'Power Station' and contain batteries, inverters and charge controllers.

I built mine as a 'Root Cellar' (my friends call it my 'bunker') at the base of a old wind mill structure.
Being subterranean it keeps my battery banks at a relatively constant temperature (very good for the batteries, a substantial expense in home generation), and serves as a storm proof location for my converters, inverters, and well/pump.

Some people just use one of the little yard barns, and some people simply use weather proof/outdoor electronics boxes, but keeping your generating points consolidated and keeping your DC wiring runs short is mandatory.