Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Simple Wind Generator Over Speed Governor/Regulator?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Simple Wind Generator Over Speed Governor/Regulator?

I'm trying to find a super simple wind generator over-speed governor... And I'm just not having any luck.

Where I live, we need extremely long blades to get any real production out of wind generators...
That leads to problems when storms come up!

I've been building a rather complicated mechanical governor/air brake thing, but I lost another set of blades this last storm, so I'm looking for something better or simpler/more effective...

If anyone has any pictures, diagrams or links for this stuff, I'd sure like for you to share!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2007, 12:01 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well.. having grown up around these things.. What a lot of them do is have a way to bring the tail up parallel to the blades so they are out of the wind, and sideways to it. Manual operation though. I suppose you could work up an actual brake from a truck..

I don't know where the site was, but there is one out there about building your own wind generator, complete with a ton of information. They might have what you want, if you can find it.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 08-31-2007, 05:24 AM   #3

If you run onto it, I'd sure like to have it!
I've been messing around with all the ideas I can steal and reproduce here in the home garage, but I'd like something really simple...

So far, I'm running a spring and weight arrangement, sort of a centrifugal governor that activates an 'Air brake' of sorts,
Chunky, heavy and not terribly effective.
I'm tired of replacing blades, that's a lot of work after your generator is in place!

Between the 8 solar panels, and the two wind generators, I'm breaking even on power around here, home, shop, water pump, air conditioning, everything, so I can't complain so far...

Old 08-31-2007, 11:46 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Took me a few seconds.. http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.html

With my 8 panels I am just making enough, on a good summer day, to stay just slightly less than even. Another 4 panels should do me, except for winter. My wife wants to put up a wind genset, but I have not gotten that far yet.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 08-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #5

My wind generator doesn't produce much, but it usually does it late in the day, when the wind comes up some around here, and it comes in very gently, so it's just perfect for topping off one set of batteries or the other!
It really is the perfect full cycle top-off charge for the batteries.

My panels are much more productive since I cut a few trees that were in the peripheral areas (not directly shading, but still absorbing some of the energy none the less) and I started sun tracking 5 times a day.

I really didn't think the sun tracking would do much for me, but I was WRONG!
Production jumped about 30% in spring and fall!
Summer it's only about 18% increase, but it really makes a difference over last year in the spring and fall!
I really didn't notice any increase in usage when we started tracking... I expected one since the lap top has to be on all the time and the screw jack has to turn the panels 6 times a day (5 tracks, 1 return after dark to morning position).

The automatic jack wasn't cheap, but the rest of it was a piece of cake since my mount already had two axis adjustments for elevation and tracking.
A guy that only had elevation adjustment might have to build a new post cap, but it's not too difficult!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:46 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My problem is the amount of sunlight overall. Summer I have too much, and my usage is lower. Winter I have high usage but little sun. I have figured that adding the MPPT controller added at least a panels worth of juice for the batteries.

My system runs on 24 1800AH 2V Forklift batteries. Not a small system..

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 09-01-2007, 02:16 AM   #7

I'm running on batteries from underground mining equipment.
Got them REAL cheap when the mine stopped producing.

Using 6 volt batteries at the pump station and shop.
They do OK, but I wish I had more reserve, I spend too much time on generator, but then again, the shop is productive and the house is just shelter...

What brand of Multi Point Power Tracker are you using?
I need to load some better software, and I probably will when I update this money pit project of mine!
I'd really like to retire in a home that is off the grid...

I have Sunny boy chargers and inverters in one place, and Midnight in another and I can't really tell much of a difference...
If I had it to do over again, I'd consolidate and only run one large system with a back up inverter if something when wrong, but my system is actually parts of three used systems I picked up cheap, before I decided to get serious.
I've been messing around with the wind generators as a 'Hobby/Learning experience', and have to tell you I'm not too disappointed with the production so far...
I'm sure it could be better, but for completely home made, they aren't doing too bad!

Last edited by AR Hammer; 09-01-2007 at 02:25 AM.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:59 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I am completely off grid, and I use a single system for everything..

The solar charger is a Outback, the other charge/gen/inverter system is Xantrex. If I had to do it again I would probably go all Outback if I could.

Good luck on your project.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 09-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I am very interesting in going off-grid. Could you guys describe your setups in more details. Pictures of your setups would be very nice as well if possible.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #10

Diagrams will be better than pictures in a lot of cases.
You can't see wiring diagrams in a picture! But pictures are good for things like engineering the post and post heads/mounts.
---------------------------------

"POWER STATION" mind set,

Most people throw up a couple of solar cells and say, "I'm saving the world!"
I'm ecological oriented, but I'm no tree hugger!
AND,
I'm not going to delude myself into believing that two solar panels are going to supply my power needs!

I'm trying to keep my recently purchased farm off of the 'Grid'.
I'm trying a few different things, like recycling batteries from industry and combining generating sources... I don't know if it will work or not, but everything I have I can build/repair myself... Substance living with 0% carbon emissions from house and shop is what I'm working towards...
(Not there yet by a long shot, but I'm working towards it!)

There was an old wind mill here, so instead of the mechanical wind head that pumped water before, it now sports a wind generator.
Under the tower is a small building that is mostly 'Root cellar'...
It used to be a pump house for the water pumping wind mill and a 'Cream Keeper' house since cold water was pumped up in there before the days of refrigeration...

The 'Root Cellar' or 'Cream House' or 'Pump House' or what ever you want to call it,
Keeps batteries at an even temperature so day and night atmosphere changes don't effect them.
The tower also sports some solar cells, and the now electric water pump waters the stock.
Atmosphere powered subsistence living for the 21st. century.

There is also a post with an 8 panel array not to far away... and I've been thinking about consolidating the arrays in the 'Pump House'.

The good part about this is now it's a 'Power House'.
Wind, solar and if I expand, the generator is going out there also.
I wish I had running water across the property, or lived close enough to the river, I'd have micro Hydro also!
Nothing like having your own power station!

CONSERVATION!
If you want to go off grid, then you need to CONSERVE your power!
Compact Fluorescent bulbs are the best thing you can do for yourself! Lighting and Heating are the big wasters. compact fluorescent bulbs will drop your lighting usage by over 3/4.

You should consider heating with:
Propane (a petroleum product and therefore will be tied to the price of petroleum),
Stores well, contains a lot of BTU's for the volume of fuel consumed.

Natural gas, (not available in all areas),
Usually delivered by pipeline to most homes in an urban setting. Can be stored in tanks.
Cheaper and will remain cheaper than petroleum based fuels.

Renewable fuels, Corn, wood pellets, wood, ect.
Stoves need lots of tending, filling hoppers and removing ashes, but better than starving in the dark!

Electric heat is pretty much out of the question with Off Grid living...

These guidelines apply to electric water heaters, electric kitchen stoves, even things like toasters, toaster ovens, microwaves, cloths dryers, air conditioners and blow dryers are huge energy hogs.
Limit or eliminate usage if you can...