SHTF Survival Guns - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

SHTF Survival Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Well said, thumb's up.
Thanks CA for the thumb's up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutz47 View Post
No way I'm reading all that

9mm 22lr and 300winmag
I figure that'll cover everything from close quaters combat to lang range hunting and a little small game. Shoot a shotgun all day and you'll wish you had something else. 22lr is everwhere, as is 9mm. Wish I had a 30 06 though.
You can quote it, but won't take the time to read it. I don't remember seeing the survivalist "cliff notes" at the gun store.
......willfully, that's some funny sh!t .....

Old 11-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Well, though I donít see myself traveling much and foot travel for long distances are required, Iím dead meat. So, Iím planning pretty much on sitting tight at my little retreat. Now a military type assault on my place is not defensible, raids or whatever from land pirates should be. Besides certain early warning systems and defenses I already have in place, I feel I can cope with it. I have a 308 bolt for the long stuff. Long stuff being 700 yards max. I only have firing lanes that long to deal with. I used to have an array of assault type weapons, but came to the conclusion, ammo was going to be an issue. I keep 500 rounds loaded for the 308 bolt. Easy to store and easy to load. I have supplies to load MANY more at any given time.

I have a .22 rifle for general use. It has good optics and is very dependable.

For close work a 12 ga with tons of ammo for it, in various loads. Can also load more when needed.

I also have 3 handguns. Two .40s and a .22. Can load for the 40 also.

If Iím roaming around the place and outskirts the 12 and a 40 would be with me all the time. Trying to keep it as simple as possible as I can.

Though I see things could become very medieval, I feel like what ďhoardsĒ are around, wonít be making gang rushes against others. They will learn quickly there are folks out there with weapons that will not hesitate to shoot them. I see them trying to be for lack of a better term ďsneakyĒ . That is what Iím trying to be ready for in a SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, WORL, or whatever you want to call it.

12 days without power after Katrina, things got somewhat stupid here, not just in NO. Iíve seen what people will do and say in that sort of scenario. It ainít pretty.

Jimmy

Hope for better, prepared for worst...

Old 11-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutz47 View Post
No way I'm reading all that

9mm 22lr and 300winmag
I figure that'll cover everything from close quaters combat to lang range hunting and a little small game. Shoot a shotgun all day and you'll wish you had something else. 22lr is everwhere, as is 9mm. Wish I had a 30 06 though.
I agree can't read all that.

List depends on how many? Perferd list for me not in order.
In the USA.
#1 AR 15 or M-4
#2 M-40 clone .338 Lapau Mag.
#3 Mossberg 500 18.5 and 28 IN Barrels.
#4 Beretta M9
#5 Ruger 10/22
#6 Ruger .22/45
#7 FN/FAL
Joe-R

Last edited by XR750; 11-22-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1969 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 4462

EagleSix,

That was well written with some very good advice, but it might be more helpful for those of us reading it if you broke that down into several different topics?

Do one section or even a different write up just on the importance of using your gear just so you can learn what works and what doesn't (and you were right to point out how important that is).

Next section or write up - Long gun vs hand gun (you had some great points on that, and I don't think a lot of people realize how limited they are with a handgun).

Then - The importance of using and knowing your firearms (another great point). There are people out there that are great shots from a bench with a sand bag but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in a real world situation (they've never shot any other way or at anything other than a stationary bulls-eye) - and those people are way ahead of a lot of others.

I only ask that you break that up because you made so many well thought points (I never thought about handguns existing for convenience but its true). It would be a great read and helpful for others to see that in smaller sections. As detailed oriented as you are, I'm guessing that you could also easily expand on a few of those topics? I'm also guessing that you could easily add some new and interesting topics to what you have there? i.e. I'm a hunter and I think of hunting first and defense second. It would be nice to hear more of your thoughts on having the mind set of defense first and hunting second.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:46 AM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

My plan includes stockpiling ammo for the guns I own. Simple.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #16
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The ONLY nit-pick I have....For the Army at least, we don't use the word 'hours' or 'hrs' after the time. AR 25-50. Sorry, it's the inner AG NCO in me.

Right now I'm torn between a saiga-20 20gauge, and my AR/M4 variant.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #17

Liked 849 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 257

I am surprised that someone would pick a shotgun for a carry-around gun. Only because the ammo is so bulky and heavy. Often versatility is listed but but even there I must disagree. For home base, close-range defense with heavy shot it is excellent. But for everything else it is second rate. Poor for hunting small game( loud, short-range,meat destroying, heavy bulky ammo). Poor for big game for the same reasons. As far as versatile, it is very,very slow to change ammo when gun is full. I would have to say it is really only good for home base, close-range defense,period.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #18
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hunters here in MI use Shotguns for deer hunting with great results! It's powerful, and sings bass.

True story - former co-worker jumped into panama back in the day. Orders were to get COL-level approval before firing anything larger than 5.56. While his squad held enemy in a bunker, using two M249s, they were at a stand off. Soon as they had approval to use the M60 - 10-round burst of whomp!whomp!whomp! caused immediate surrender from the bad guys. My co-worker said "...That sixty sings bass..."

That's why I'm torn between it, and my AR.

Shotty - useful to at least medium-sized game. Variety of loads - shot or slugs. Easy to maintain (Ak platform).
AR - distance, sniper-type potential if required. Maybe not best against medium-sized animals w/o doing a head-shot. Light-weight, and light-weight ammo....

decisions, decisions.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
EagleSix,

That was well written with some very good advice, but it might be more helpful for those of us reading it if you broke that down into several different topics? ~snip~
Thank You Lurker for the critique and kind words. This was an article I wrote in August of 2010 for the dean eLetter and published on our website in February of 2011, and then posted here. Maybe next time I'll just post a link.

Considering the comments from some others about this thread, perhaps 2-3 paragraphs is the limit!!

Thanks again Lurker, I appreciate your feedback.

Last edited by EagleSix; 11-22-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I am surprised that someone would pick a shotgun for a carry-around gun. Only because the ammo is so bulky and heavy. Often versatility is listed but but even there I must disagree. For home base, close-range defense with heavy shot it is excellent. But for everything else it is second rate. Poor for hunting small game( loud, short-range,meat destroying, heavy bulky ammo). Poor for big game for the same reasons. As far as versatile, it is very,very slow to change ammo when gun is full. I would have to say it is really only good for home base, close-range defense,period.
.....well hiwall, if everyone lived along Crown King Road, they might agree with you!!

Unless you are a trick shot, the shotgun is going to get you a lot more birds on the table than a rifle, pistol or revolver. If you are in deep cover, the multiple shot from the 12 gauge provides an advantage over the pistol, revolver or rifle for fast moving game. And, when hunting small, medium, or large game in more populated areas......the shotgun provides a means of lethal close distance, without the over-shooting safety issue of the rifle. For defense, there is nothing, that will provide the lethal power of the shotgun, in a easy to handle package for men, women, big or small. The capability of the "select load" flexibility of the shotgun is unmatched by the pistol, revolver or rifle. Loading, unloading, and select loading the Battle Shotgun is by no means slow, by the trained operator. And, if the shotgun is what a person has, and what they are familiar with, and what they are the most capable with, perhaps because that is what they grew up with, why not use what they are already expert with? Yes, the ammo is bulky, but not that heavy......on the other hand, if your trying to shoot that mallard duck for dinner, it just might take a few more pistol rounds than is reasonable to carry.

With that said, I'm not defending the shotgun, it is pretty much the last of my choices, but I understand why some would like it, and there can be no argument, the Battle Shotgun provide flexibility like no other firearm. One can argue why they would not like it, as you have done......but the shotgun is a viable lethal tool to be considered in a SHTF scenario.