Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   SHTF in the southwest (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/shtf-southwest-47160/)

hiwall 08-21-2011 02:17 PM

SHTF in the southwest

When/if the SHTF those living in the southwest will most likely have a much worse problem than those in other states. I believe we will see a huge horde of people come up from Mexico. The lure of no police and free looting in the rich USA will be quite an enticement. And that is for the regular population of Mexicans. If I was running a drug cartel I would realize that until things got back to normal I would be out of business. The best option would be to send groups of my "troops" up to the USA to pillage. Even if functioning our government would take a long time to make a decision to secure our border. Those of us living in the southwest would be screwed. Well at least we wouldn't have time to fight amongst ourselves(I hope) but instead band together to fight the invasion. Or have I got it all wrong?

CA357 08-21-2011 03:39 PM

There are also the "Aztlan" zealots to be considered. In addition to looting, killing and chaos, there may also be a war to retake the land.

fireguy 08-21-2011 03:55 PM

I think you and CA357 both have it right. Between the career criminals and those wanting to retake the "stolen" southwest it could be a hard time. The weather conditions are probably in your favor, though. It would be much harder to survive and thrive on the move in the intense heat and sun, let alone remain an effective, cohesive fighting force. Heat, hunger, and revolt within the ranks of the perps could become a strong factor to those wanting to defend.

bkt 08-21-2011 04:23 PM

Sounds like a good observation. If I were you, I'd bring this up at local Tea Party/912 Project meet-ups and see what others think. This should be considered at the very localized level because you know municipalities are going to depend on the state which will be slow to move.

The other consideration is if the Mexican government completely craps out, you might get hundreds of thousands of Mexican refugees wanting to flee the corrupt drug cartel-run government. How can you accommodate those folks? You can't. That will push your local economies off the cliff pretty quickly.

MrMosin 08-21-2011 06:12 PM

You make a pretty valid point, however what is one of the biggest reasons illegals come up from the south? Money. If the SHTF in question is the economy pooping the bed and the value of the dollar plummeting there would really not be any reason for them to come up. Not saying this is concrete, but it seems like sound logic to me.

hiwall 08-21-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMosin (Post 567350)
You make a pretty valid point, however what is one of the biggest reasons illegals come up from the south? Money. If the SHTF in question is the economy pooping the bed and the value of the dollar plummeting there would really not be any reason for them to come up. Not saying this is concrete, but it seems like sound logic to me.

You also make a valid point but if you are in Mexico and have nothing and no tourist dollars are coming and the Mexico economy would also crap out - then why not go to the USA for better housing and to steal "stuff". If you have very little most anyplace always looks better. If the USA crapped out the whole world would at about the same time. The USA would still be the best place in the "new" world.

Caoimhin 08-21-2011 07:17 PM

It's not all the way you see it on the news. 1st here in the 47th (New Mexico) The local Hispanic population will not tolerate an invasion from South of the Border. People born and raised here with blood lines that run deep into Mexico and yet are very much racist in regards to illegals. The vast majority of illegals are not in the cartel either. Only the bad guys in Mexico have Guns. Everyone in New Mexico, Texas and Arizona has guns. Well we can leave out some Liberals, but even most Democrats here are gun owners. Their only safe crossing is into California and I expect that state to soon be Chinese controlled (Tin Foil Hat time). The customers of the Mexican cartels are necessary for the cartels to survive, they have no plans to leave easy street. I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction is filled with Cartel. They then move drugs north to KC, Omaha and Minneapolis. They then route drug money back south. They also get to play with the American Rich and Famous and supply them. Of course if we call them Illegal aliens now the White house says we are bigots. They are undocumented workers. Would that make a bank robbery an undocumented withdraw? Just my thoughts dealing with the border problem on a daily basis.

MrMosin 08-21-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 567367)
You also make a valid point but if you are in Mexico and have nothing and no tourist dollars are coming and the Mexico economy would also crap out - then why not go to the USA for better housing and to steal "stuff". If you have very little most anyplace always looks better. If the USA crapped out the whole world would at about the same time. The USA would still be the best place in the "new" world.

Also a good point to bring up. But I guess we will never know what will happen until the S does HTF. Hopefully it will not cause a mass exodus into the USA.

Jimmy 08-21-2011 10:24 PM

Having being born and grown up in El Paso and still have many relitives there, I could see this being a problem. My family tells me all the time of all the crap that goes on. El Paso and surounding areas have more fences for front yards than anywhere else...My family has steadly been moving away from the greater El Paso area for some time now. My uncle who is 66, born raised and retired in El Paso, moved last year. Said he'd had enough....

When you look across the river there and see the cardboard shanties, yep they'll come looking for better diggs....

Jimmy

Scratchammo 08-21-2011 10:33 PM

Be on the lookout for a Honda Shadow parked next to a campfire with a greasy, grimey, bandana wearing, biker trash. I'll be cooking beans & disposing of Jaegermiester.