SHTF Shack - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF Shack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 02:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger44 View Post
Oh yes. No problem. In fact for the bus I buried I took the seat frames and bolted them to the bus on the south facing side above the windows to hold the dirt up on the roof. The steering wheel came out easily also and that is where I put the shower. Paid a couple hundred bucks for the bus, it's a Blue Bird and it's an instant home! Got the stove pipe going out a window which I replaced with some sheet metal. You can even use the linterior lights, I didn't but you can.
Fascinating. You bolted the seats on the outside of the bus to help keep the dirt in place?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-12-2010, 02:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Fascinating. You bolted the seats on the outside of the bus to help keep the dirt in place?
If you were sitting in the seat, your legs would be dangling in front of the windows, thus the back of the seatback is holding up the dirt. The cushions from the seats have been revoved, only the metal remains. See enclosed picture. Before I put the wood part up, the seats went all along the bus. Looking from left to right, the rear of the bus is to the left. The logs to the extreme right cover the engine compartment.

bus-002.jpg  

Last edited by Ruger44; 12-12-2010 at 03:01 AM.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:17 AM   #13

Quote:
If you were sitting in the seat, your legs would be dangling in front of the windows, thus the back of the seatback is holding up the dirt. The cushions from the seats have been revoved, only the metal remains. See enclosed picture. Before I put the wood part up, the seats went all along the bus. Looking from left to right, the rear of the bus is to the left. The logs to the extreme right cover the engine compartment.
Gotcha. Missed that the first time. Are they bolted all the way through the side of the bus?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-12-2010, 03:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Gotcha. Missed that the first time. Are they bolted all the way through the side of the bus?
They are clamped at the bottom with half moon clamps and bolted to the sheet metal that is behind the seatbacks, which is screwed into the bus roof with some large sheet metal screws. In the ground since 1981 and still solid.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:10 AM   #15

Quote:
They are clamped at the bottom with half moon clamps and bolted to the sheet metal that is behind the seatbacks, which is screwed into the bus roof with some large sheet metal screws. In the ground since 1981 and still solid.
I'm pretty impressed. Time to do more research about "modified school bus dwellings". Can you post some pics of the inside?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 12-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm pretty impressed. Time to do more research about "modified school bus dwellings". Can you post some pics of the inside?
I'll need a little time to see if I got any pics of the inside. Basically, I cleared out the whole thing of seats. I built the sleeping area at the rearmost of the bus. On the south facing windows side, about half way up I put the wood stove. On the other side I built wooden benches for seating with storage underneath, this extended about three quarters to the front. On this same side I then put the sink with some counter space extending towards where the drivers seat was where I put the shower. As you can see in the picture, I had built a sencond story living area where the front half of the bus is. I removed the front half of the roof to do this. I did this becuse previously I had a 28 ft high tower built at the front of the bus over the engine compartment where u now have that log section. The tower caught fire and collapsed onto the front half of the bus, crushing the roof. So, I then removed the front portion of the roof and built what u see in the picture. The beauty of this is that the insulating value of the earth, and the snow in winter helps keep u warm. Also cool in the summer. It was a cheap way to go. I also had solar for power and a spring nearby.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:21 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Me like! Thanks for the pics.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #18

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Weve got lots of underground SHTF shacks here. Unfortunately they are privately owned, and most full of water. Atlas E missile silos. THe one nearest my inlaws property(my shtf rendevous), is nearly 90% full of water.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Weve got lots of underground SHTF shacks here. Unfortunately they are privately owned, and most full of water. Atlas E missile silos. THe one nearest my inlaws property(my shtf rendevous), is nearly 90% full of water.
Bummer! I've been out to your area many times. Looks like you probably can't go real deep if u want to go into the earth.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #20

Tagged for interest.