Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   SHTF Shack (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/shtf-shack-35437/)

Ruger44 12-10-2010 09:24 PM

SHTF Shack

4 Attachment(s)
Enclosed are a few pics of my shack on top of my mountain in Vermont. Sometime ago I posted some pics of my buried schoolbus, which was located on the bottom part of my property. This is my shack along with another schoolbus that I use for storage. I am in the process of getting this place squared away. I should finish it up sometime next summer.
The one pic with no shack is my pond which is about 25 yards from the building. I know it's not much, but I've got it well insulated and it dosen't leak. Notice the solar panel in front. One panel gives enough power for lights, radio, and a laptop.

CA357 12-10-2010 09:28 PM

Cool beans. :cool:

NitroxAZ 12-11-2010 12:45 AM

Nice. A little at a time and you will have a serious location there.

dunerunner 12-11-2010 05:39 AM

Swampy all the time? Would be great if it was! Lookin good!!

Alchemist 12-11-2010 11:48 AM

Cool... Does the buried schoolbus stay dry inside?

Ruger44 12-11-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 401043)
Swampy all the time? Would be great if it was! Lookin good!!

Not swampy, that's just drainage coming down from the wet part to the right of the shack. Just need a small dozer to come up and put a proper ditch along there. It does dry up some as is in the middle of summer. My plan is to eventually bring some gravel for a small road to allow vehicle access.

CA357 12-11-2010 02:19 PM

Would you please tell me a bit about your solar panel?

Ruger44 12-11-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemist (Post 401092)
Cool... Does the buried schoolbus stay dry inside?

The buried bus works quite well. Before I buried it, I covered the entire bus in roofing tar, then put some plastic and buried the sucker. Got about 12 in. of dirt on the roof, the north, east and west side are also covered. The south side is covered up to the bottom of the windows. I stayed nice and toasty inside all winter and cool in the summer. If you go back in this thread area on 08/16/10 I posted some pics of the buried bus and how I built up out of it with some wood.

M14sRock 12-12-2010 12:04 AM

Very cool. Can the interior of a school bus be stripped out pretty easy? Seats, etc...

Ruger44 12-12-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 401402)
Very cool. Can the interior of a school bus be stripped out pretty easy? Seats, etc...

Oh yes. No problem. In fact for the bus I buried I took the seat frames and bolted them to the bus on the south facing side above the windows to hold the dirt up on the roof. The steering wheel came out easily also and that is where I put the shower. Paid a couple hundred bucks for the bus, it's a Blue Bird and it's an instant home! Got the stove pipe going out a window which I replaced with some sheet metal. You can even use the linterior lights, I didn't but you can.