Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF Scenarios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1353 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Default SHTF Scenarios

What do you feel are the most likely SHTF scenarios, other than natural disasters?

I've always thought the most likely would be either a local-level terrorist strike, like 9/11, with a suitcase nuke detonation in an urban population center, a bio attack like the Japanese subway strike some years ago...or epic fail of infrastructure due to electromagnetic/cyberwarfare.

All this stuff is scoffed at as paranoia, but the suitcase nuke scenario is quite plausible to me, given the spread of nuke-tech to rogue countries. And like Alfred said in The Dark Knight, "Some men just want to watch the world burn..."

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd tell you if this were in the Bunker!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
but the suitcase nuke scenario is quite plausible to me, given the spread of nuke-tech to rogue countries.
It would have to be a dirty bomb. not a nuke. The smallest nuke someone could make without very sophisticated tech. would weigh several hundred pounds. but other than that, from what i understand they're very easy to make. hardest part is getting a hold of fissile material.

Back to original topic. Maybe the US gets invaded by China and Korea in WW3? You wanted what I think is the most likely, korea pretty much wants a war, and china crazy.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have concerns about EMP.

I also have some concerns about violence if the gubmint gravy train slows down for the entitlement community.

Other than that, just the usual, like aliens escaping Area 51, Zombies, a Martian invasion, you know, the usual stuff. Wolverines!!!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I have concerns about EMP.

I also have some concerns about violence if the gubmint gravy train slows down for the entitlement community.

Other than that, just the usual, like aliens escaping Area 51, Zombies, a Martian invasion, you know, the usual stuff. Wolverines!!!

Rog that on EMP.

I had a feeling aliens and zombies would creep into this thread. I was just kind of taking bets on when. better get me an AK and a 80s hairdo.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
It would have to be a dirty bomb. not a nuke. The smallest nuke someone could make without very sophisticated tech. would weigh several hundred pounds. but other than that, from what i understand they're very easy to make. hardest part is getting a hold of fissile material.

Back to original topic. Maybe the US gets invaded by China and Korea in WW3? You wanted what I think is the most likely, korea pretty much wants a war, and china crazy.

Thanks bro, I didn't know that. Nukes etc are not my lane. As far as China goes, the invasion is ongoing. Every freaking thing in my house is made in China. Every freaking Christmas present I bought my kids (except the 10/22) was made in freaking China. They're buying up all the oil wells in South America and Africa, all the scrap metal wherever they find it, and they're trafficking in humans and weapons. The N. Koreans are trafficking in heroin and missiles and sending trade delegations to Venezuela. Chavez is building Kalashnikovs under Russian license and the Chinese triads are firmly entrenched in Panama. The Snakeheads have smuggled hundreds of thousands of people into the US since the 80s.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #7

Most likely man-made....

Truck-nuke -- 10kt range -- detonated in a big city by 9/11 terrorist types.
Widespread 9/11 scale attacks all in one day by several organized groups of terrorists aimed at key infrastructure.
EMP from a ICBM launched by terrorist or N. Korea or other state actor.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Anybody ever watch "The Sum Of All Fears"?

This thread needs to be in the Bunker where it isn't searchable from the weeb.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Personally, i see a superflu-type viral pandemic as the most likely SHTF situation. With the population densities in many parts of Asia, Africa, India, and some places in Central America, it wouldn't take much, just some chicken farmer in Thailand with a bad cold going to an over-crowded hospital in town for some medicine and maybe one of those nice people from Doctors Without Borders to bring it back to this side of the ocean. If that H1N1 had managed to mingle with some of the more easily spread Avian flu roaming Asia, we would have been in deep doo. I think we all saw the "lightning fast" rollout of the flu vaccine that included H1N1.

In all honesty, after a few years of herd thinning, the world would probably be a much better place for the survivors (no more water shortages, overcrowding, resource-based political conflicts), kinda like a industrial revolution RESET button.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
In all honesty, after a few years of herd thinning, the world would probably be a much better place for the survivors (no more water shortages, overcrowding, resource-based political conflicts), kinda like a industrial revolution RESET button.

QFT. With us closing on 8 billion (projected) either something thins the herd naturally or we'll have to start enforcing birth control globally thru incentives. Before long we'll be fighting each other over drinking water and living space. (I got mine)