Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF scenario 1 - No electronic transactions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default SHTF scenario 1 - No electronic transactions

I experienced this scenario where one of the biggest banks of the nation (not USA) went belly up and people panicked trying to withdraw their money from all other banks. This caused cash shortage which triggered further panic (and other bankruptcy). The gov't eventually placed a maximum withdrawal per account but the people took months to settle down. Note that the country, at that time, hardly uses CC or Debit card yet and most transactions are in cash. Commerce, work, etc. continued normally despite this.

Scenario. USA lost means to do electronic transactions (for whatever reason). No ATM, no POS CC/Debit card processing, etc. It is temporary and may just last a day or could be weeks.

Note that in this scenario, like in my example, you can still buy anything and everything if you have cash.

Are you ready or will you be one of the mob waiting for the bank to open?
How much cash do you have (not your savings in the bank)?
Do you have enough supplies and try to wait it out?
What is the likelihood that it will ignite riots?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

BTW, this post is triggered by my observation of what others usually say/list they keep in their SHTF kit or BOB. Cash is usually forgotten...which IMHO is one of the most important and should be pointed out.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8323 Times on 3599 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Valid point. If the banks are not doing business, and the CC machine is out, you may be standing there looking poor and stupid. I try to keep one virgin but usable CC and some green folding dead presidents in my "gotta go- bye" stuff. And a roll of quarters.

Ya never know when you need to feed a vending machine, or cash for supplies, "la mordida" etc.

Nice thing about money- it may not be the right size, but it is ALWAYS the right color.

PS- here's a thought- roll your chump change with ones on the outside, and a rubber band holding your stash-rolled around a small tube of OC spray.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Interesting thought! Bad enough that you cannot get cash, yet not so bad that barter has replaced cash. Food for thought!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If the electricity is out how will you pay cash for something when they can't scan the merchandise looking for a bar code? Seems the mom and pop stores will be the only ones that might be able to function without that darn bar code.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 01-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Larry, While that is possible (and funny), the scenario did not say electricity is out. It could be just the communication lines that is down or internet for that matter.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Think EMP. Nothing electronic works. It is a very real danger.

I highly recommend reading "One Second After" by W. Fortschen. It's one of the most realistic SHTF if books out there.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Larry, While that is possible (and funny), the scenario did not say electricity is out. It could be just the communication lines that is down or internet for that matter.
Reminds me of the solar flare situation back in the late 1990's; none of the gas stations around where i was working could get a connection or whatever to accept credit/debit cards. It was annoying, but ATM's at bank locations were still working. IIRC, it had an impact on cellular phones too.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I do think the cash in the BOB is a good point......especially because I think that if there is a SHTF it probably WILL be lack of electricity. But, will money have more value than the price of paper if the SHTF.

I saw this show on TV recenly about solar flares and how they could wipe out the electrical grid.....pretty interesting stuff.

can you imagine if there was no electricty at all? no gas pumps, no heat or cooling, no water, no street lights, no power tools, no cell phones.....etc.

This stuff could be a reality.....we better be prepared!

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
can you imagine if there was no electricty at all? no gas pumps, no heat or cooling, no water, no street lights, no power tools, no cell phones.....etc.
It happened to me too twice! Not because of solar flare but by Super Typhoon (more than 180mph sustained winds) downing most of the power poles of the island and left us with no water for a week and no power for a month (other areas for 2 months). To make matters worse...it was early December so we had Christmas and New Year w/o power.

But that is a totally different scenario.

Last edited by Poink88; 01-27-2011 at 07:28 PM.