You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

SHTF: Save Ammo, Still Eat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
You can actually fish for woodchucks and prairie dogs. Put 4 toothpicks in the ground around the hole, put a loop of fishing line around them, and walk back about 50 yards being sure to keep the line just taut. Keep the rod tip low, and when the woodchuck comes out of the hole to look around, sharply raise the rod tip to take up the slack and secure the loop around the rodent. Then reel like mad.
Bear in mind that your "fish" is going to cartwheeling and clawing like a fur-bearing chainsaw until you "Terminate the encounter", but it will be a lot of fun, with a meal at the end.
I recommend a 6.5-7' spinning rod with 15lb line fed through a swivel at the terminal end to form the loop.
I saw it done like traditional fishing using hotdog pieces as bait.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #62

Traps are expensive, easily stolen, and you have to handle them right for them to work (like boiling them to get your smell off of them).

Conversely, metal wire snares are cheap, easy to use, very effective, and with one roll of wire, you can store up hundreds of them.

Snares are illegal (in normal times) simply because they are soooo effective!

Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff44 View Post
Traps are expensive, easily stolen, and you have to handle them right for them to work (like boiling them to get your smell off of them).

Conversely, metal wire snares are cheap, easy to use, very effective, and with one roll of wire, you can store up hundreds of them.

Snares are illegal (in normal times) simply because they are soooo effective!
Please cite your sources on this and explain what states you're referring to.

According to this: http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.asp#465_5 a snare is a non-body holding device and therefore, perfectly legal under California law.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 01-08-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #64

Default as i read doc

as i read doc ,it states you are not allowed to trap mammels with a snare.

i may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but that seemed fairly clear.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
+1 ROFLMAO!!!! Thanks a lot...I'll think of this next time I order Chinese food...if I ever eat Chinese food again. Ever been to the Phillipines?
Yup! Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "good doggy"!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:36 AM   #66

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default gettin' it done

In the late 1800s my maternal grandpa and a friend decided, as young men, to spend a winter in the north woods trapping wolves. Not having a gun they planned on using a stout club to harvest the wolves once they were in the trap. When the first one had been caught, they sorta decided to wait until it had shortened the chain and was sorta stuck between two trees before using their club. After the first wolf they decided to head back to town and engage in other pursuits.
(I think L'll stop at Walmart and buy an extra brick or two of .22s.)

Old 02-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #67

Liked 278 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Ever heard of the " tragedy of the commons " concept...

A year after TSHTF , there won't be any game left to trap or shoot . In fact, if you guys are as skillful as you sound, the game will be gone sooner than that .

I wonder if guys with C-4 and hand grenades will go " demolition fishin' " and wipe out the supply of fish for the rest of us . LOL

Old 02-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #68

I would use 50% of the ammo on food and the other 50% for defending myself. Maybe more on food, but thats roughly what I would do.

S.S.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #69

Default Hunting for food.

I live on an Indian Rez. that is has a healthy herd of deer, a bunch of elk and more than a few moose. They are hunted almost year round and flourish in spite of the hunting. I can't help but wonder how long they will last when the SHTF. Don't intend on depending on wild game. Stock up the best you can and raise or grow as much as you can so when you kill a deer it is gravy and not something your life depends on.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #70

Default Terramycin us in humans

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie View Post
You are, of course, correct. I'm trying to make the point that today we are all too damn dependent on others, for every little thing on up to things life-threatening which we can't help ourselves with (appendicitis, heart attack, etc.).

BTW, a really good broad-spectrum antibiotic known as Terramycin can be bought by anyone at almost any Ag-type, farm store, or veterinary supply in 10 gram packets, water-soluble, same quality as for human consumption, for under $5 a pack. I use it myself even though warnings for "veterinary use only" are posted on it. Those warnings no doubt justify it's costing 10 times as much by prescription.....If you care to know, daily adult male human dose is on the order of 1/4 to 1/2 gram 3 times daily.

Watch the flack I'll catch for this post!!!
My mother and father who are small time farmers have used terramycin on themselves for years.