SHTF: Save Ammo, Still Eat - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF: Save Ammo, Still Eat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 02:29 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can actually fish for woodchucks and prairie dogs. Put 4 toothpicks in the ground around the hole, put a loop of fishing line around them, and walk back about 50 yards being sure to keep the line just taut. Keep the rod tip low, and when the woodchuck comes out of the hole to look around, sharply raise the rod tip to take up the slack and secure the loop around the rodent. Then reel like mad.
Bear in mind that your "fish" is going to cartwheeling and clawing like a fur-bearing chainsaw until you "Terminate the encounter", but it will be a lot of fun, with a meal at the end.
I recommend a 6.5-7' spinning rod with 15lb line fed through a swivel at the terminal end to form the loop.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:15 AM   #52

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

thats so weird, how did you ever come up with that

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Hunger makes you get "creative"...

Old 12-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #54

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Bear in mind that your "fish" is going to cartwheeling and clawing like a fur-bearing chainsaw until you "Terminate the encounter", but it will be a lot of fun, with a meal at the end.

Imagining the "fur-bearing chainsaw" is the best part of the whole post

Old 12-07-2008, 02:38 AM   #55
cbw

Back when I lived in the city we had some coon problems, so I borrowed a live trap to eliminate the pests. A trapped coon is one of the meanest, nasty biting clawing thing I have come across. As we hauled it out to the county to release it I wished I would have brought a pistol to shoot it as my friend had recommended. Using mid arm high ultra thick welding gloves I opened the trap and the thing, which was so freaking big could barely get out of the trap ran away. Afterwords I got to thinking (that hindsight thing u know) if that coon would have come at me I was completely screwed! Not only was it faster then me, so was my friend which made the situation all the worse, it had claws like a gargoyle that I know could have ripped open my Ramcharger.

I ate coon that was barbecued once!!

Lesson learned trapping is good if you catch something you would eat, Lobsters taste better and do not run fast and I can easily kill in hand to claw combat. !

Old 12-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #56

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Fish hooks and snares...

Fish hooks are in my BoB. A couple 'yo-yo's' should also be required equipment.

Imagine a perimeter with fish hooks and heavy line along with the proverbial stone in a can. No one gets through that perimeter without setting off an alarm, and they can't easily move quickly when they're hooked to a large rock or tree..

As for collecting food, the snare is good for small game... but add fish hooks to the snare and you increase your chances of capturing game. Heavy line studded with hooks and stretched across a game trail will usually yield results. Just be sure to use high test line or wire and terminate it to substantial objects. Act quickly to respond to the trap... large animals such as deer can make a mess of otherwise well laid plans - Best be armed when you try this - any animal caught up in this trap will be irritated beyond belief.

Use the same principal in a stream, creek or river... it's a snag line and can be very productive for fish as well as other critters. Beaver, otter, musk rat will all provide nourishment. Keep clear of slashing teeth though! Keep in mind that teeth that are equipped to easily fell large trees will have no trouble removing important and irreplaceable body parts.

Throw lines and bank lines are simple methods of putting fish on the table. And the Yo-Yo (mechanical fisher) mentioned earlier can fish for you while you do other chores.

An assortment of sizes from small 'bream' hooks to larger treble hooks will prove useful tools for both gathering food as well as helping to protect a perimeter.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:42 AM   #57

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
You can actually fish for woodchucks and prairie dogs. Put 4 toothpicks in the ground around the hole, put a loop of fishing line around them, and walk back about 50 yards being sure to keep the line just taut. Keep the rod tip low, and when the woodchuck comes out of the hole to look around, sharply raise the rod tip to take up the slack and secure the loop around the rodent. Then reel like mad.
I recommend a 6.5-7' spinning rod with 15lb line fed through a swivel at the terminal end to form the loop.
I-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-I LIKE IT !!!!

Still laughing while visualizing this one. Funny thing is, I caught (totally by accident) a chipmunk while fishing up in the Cascades a while back. I had laid my baited line and pole down for a second to help my nephew up on his seat, when I picked up the pole and went to cast, found that I had a chipmunk on the end of the line It had gone after my bait while I was dealing with my nephew. But talk about the fur-bearing chainsaw I guess they don't like water too well, specially after being tossed out into the lake at the end of a fishing line.

For all those PETA types out there, no chipmunks were killed or maimed in this incident, only got thrown in for their once in a lifetime bath.

Oh...and yes I've been to the Philippines (12 years), and would go back in a heart beat. Some of the best tasting mystery meat and meals anywhere. Alot better than what was served during Jungle Survival School, but even that was pretty darn interesting...and proved to be very useful.

Always interesting reading these, amazing how many folks out there would have no clue what to do for food, not to mention shelter, water, etc., if SHTF really did happen. Even more amazing, some of them served in our military, or emergency services, etc. Bring back the Boy/Girl Scouts, Home Economics, Outdoor Schools (even my kid had to spend 2 weeks at Outdoor School in the 4th grade - proud to say, he could survive on his own if he had to, and live off the land) and teach these folks something useful, other than how to play online.

Slo

Old 12-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #58

a 22LR single shot loaded with CB caps is just as quiet as those expensive airguns and is a whole lot cheaper.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #59

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
thats so weird, how did you ever come up with that
You'll try it in the next 4 years. If you've shot woodchucks or prairie dogs or "whistle-pigs", you know the routine. They are absolutely, 100% guaranteed to poke their heads up to see where you went. A Marine Corps buddy of mine told me about this, and unlike cowtipping, this is plausible.
Before anyone leaps up to defend cowtipping, I grew up on a dairy farm, and cows sleep lying down. Your cousin's buddy did NOT tip a sleeping cow over.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #60

When I was a kid, I'd catch ground squirrels in a similar manner.
Tie a long string to a screw driver.
Stake the screwdriver next to the hole.
Make a slip-noose in the string, and lay it around the hole.
Carrying the other end of the string,
walk back 10 yards or so, lay in the prone position,
and wait for him to pop his head out.
Pull the string taut, therefore pulling the noose taut, then walk towards the hole keeping the string taut.
When you get to it, you can club it if you need to harvest a meal.
Before you club it, check to see if its a nursing female (easy--will have large breasts on its underside)--let that one go so she can finish raising meals for you in the future
I would always wait to see one out, then chase him/her down the hole--
that way I knew it was an active hole, and that he would be checking to see where I went within a few minutes.

As a kid, I used to just catch and release, something to do in the nearby graveyard while my folks were fighting in the house...long story...

Last edited by bernie; 01-06-2009 at 12:19 PM.