You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

SHTF: Save Ammo, Still Eat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 91 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
A good .22 or .177 pellet rifle would do the trick and ammo for that is cheap!

Like the RWS 460 Magnum .22 Cal- 1150 FPS for around $600 or the Crosman Tac 1 Extreme .22 cal 800 FPS Tactical Air Rifle w/ Scope, Bipod, Laser, Flashlight & Case for around $300.

And no noise!!
That would be correct. I shoot squirrels with a GAMMO 1000 FPS, .177 rifle. So far it's a ONE-SHOT kill everytime. My area is running rampid with squirrels. I mean they are EVERYWHERE, and they are even getting into my attic too.

I use PREDITOR Premium polymer tipped pellets to take them out. These pellets really knock them down... they go into shock for a moment shaking and they are dead on the spot.
preditor.jpg  

Last edited by Mark F; 10-22-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

For you guys looking to take out larger game, then this is the pellet of choice. These pellets have extreme knockdown and maximum penetration from a hardened steel insert that will break through bone and hit vitals. These are expensive pellets... as pellets go.
rocket.jpg  

Old 11-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #43

Default Traps

You're right on, man.

I have been purchasing traps for the very purpose you're talking about. If I don't ever need 'em, the grandkids can laugh about their old granddad and his wild west trappin' days.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have found that a pellet rifle is a very handy weapon. It's fairly quiet and can knock down reasonably large critters with good shot placement. I use a GAMO Hunter with a 3x9x50 scope. I can usually take out a squirrel at 45 yards with no problem, if he's not moving.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #45

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default force multipliers

One gentleperson alluded to traps saving time , you betcha! They are also force multipliers in that they enable one to "harvest" game from several locations at one time. With yur rifle you can watch only a limited area for a limited time, and traps and snares allow you a greater chance of fillin' yur belly. Woodchucks are also good eatin' 'cause they're so good at harvestin' alfalfa. But as previously pointed out they are as rich as 'coon.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Kind Sirs,Would not fish farming or raising chickens be better? (something that would not deplete itself) Also, would not wild critters carry diseases? In any event, how viable would ANY food source(s) be in a major FUBAR SHTF world?
You would be amazed at how safe eating wild game really is. Most of the diseases that animals get are from being in close confines with each other. Wild animals for the most part don't stay that close. Just think about the pork that you buy in stores. Those pigs are kept about as close to one another as possible. It's no wonder that you can get sick if you're not careful with that meat. I'm not saying that you should eat wild pork raw, but it's much cleaner than domesticated meat. Any kind of reptile, amphibian, bird or rodent should be pretty close to well done, although I eat rabbits that I raise cooked medium to medium-well. Deer can be eaten damn near raw.

To answer your question about a viable food source, you should keep all options open. I raise chickens and rabbits, but I hunt also. The trap idea is a good one, but you should not put effort into traps for large animals. A bunch of small traps are much more likely to produce than one large one and you don't run the risk of being injured by a large animal.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckA View Post
Deer can be eaten damn near raw.
You're not familiar with Chronic Wasting Disease are you? Prions can be spread from eating fully cooked meats, though the largest threat comes from eating improperly prepared meats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cwd

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 11-29-2008 at 10:49 PM.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:39 AM   #48

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

check out the military book club, they have dozens of books made specifically for these scenarios, i have six books on the subject. ranging from the us army survival guide to urban survival guides. books id like to invest in are medicinal plants as well as poisonous plants. even the poisonous plants have uses such as knocking out fish to eat, lots of great info inside these books

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-30-2008, 02:48 AM   #49

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckA View Post
You would be amazed at how safe eating wild game really is. Most of the diseases that animals get are from being in close confines with each other. Wild animals for the most part don't stay that close. Just think about the pork that you buy in stores. Those pigs are kept about as close to one another as possible. It's no wonder that you can get sick if you're not careful with that meat. I'm not saying that you should eat wild pork raw, but it's much cleaner than domesticated meat. Any kind of reptile, amphibian, bird or rodent should be pretty close to well done, although I eat rabbits that I raise cooked medium to medium-well. Deer can be eaten damn near raw.

To answer your question about a viable food source, you should keep all options open. I raise chickens and rabbits, but I hunt also. The trap idea is a good one, but you should not put effort into traps for large animals. A bunch of small traps are much more likely to produce than one large one and you don't run the risk of being injured by a large animal.
also most diseases have tell tale signs, ex: rabbits you look at the liver for spots to see if the rabbit has a certain disease commonly foud within the rabbit pop.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-04-2008, 04:11 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
You're not familiar with Chronic Wasting Disease are you? Prions can be spread from eating fully cooked meats, though the largest threat comes from eating improperly prepared meats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cwd

Nope, I'm an avid deer hunter and have been for years. I'm completely oblivious to CWD. Take that BS somewhere else.

Quote:
Although there have been reports in the popular press of humans being affected by CWD, a study by the CDC failed to find any relationship.[2]
That's from the same source that you posted. I also read a story on the CNN site about how pregnant mothers and young children should not eat wild game because of lead. I don't know about you, but I don't eat the bullet or any of the meat from the bullet's path (I'm not a pregnant mother or a child, but I won't stop my wife or children from eating wild game.). It's easy to tell where the bullet has been by the big hole and bloodshot meat. It's a little harder to tell with small game if you use a shotgun, but I still don't know of anyone that has ever had any problems with lead poisoning.

Until there is reasonable proof that either of these is a problem, I stand by my statement. Not all diseases can be passed between animals and humans. If you can show me even ONE case where a person has contracted CWD, I will retract it.

There is proof that the prions that cause mad cow can be passed on to humans. There is also proof that prions can be passed from human to human in cannibalistic cases. I don't eat much beef and I damn sure don't eat people.

Last edited by DuckA; 12-04-2008 at 04:20 AM.