SHTF: Save Ammo, Still Eat - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF: Save Ammo, Still Eat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
A large segment of the population didn't! Look at the ages on old gravestones. The common cold or flu would kill people. Tooth decay could kill people. Until Penicillin came along tens of thousands died from simple infection. Add antibiotics to your bug out bag - if you know a doctor or veterinarian that will give them to you without a legitimate reason that is...
You are, of course, correct. I'm trying to make the point that today we are all too damn dependent on others, for every little thing on up to things life-threatening which we can't help ourselves with (appendicitis, heart attack, etc.).

BTW, a really good broad-spectrum antibiotic known as Terramycin can be bought by anyone at almost any Ag-type, farm store, or veterinary supply in 10 gram packets, water-soluble, same quality as for human consumption, for under $5 a pack. I use it myself even though warnings for "veterinary use only" are posted on it. Those warnings no doubt justify it's costing 10 times as much by prescription.....If you care to know, daily adult male human dose is on the order of 1/4 to 1/2 gram 3 times daily.

Watch the flack I'll catch for this post!!!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie View Post
You are, of course, correct. I'm trying to make the point that today we are all too damn dependent on others, for every little thing on up to things life-threatening which we can't help ourselves with (appendicitis, heart attack, etc.).

BTW, a really good broad-spectrum antibiotic known as Terramycin can be bought by anyone at almost any Ag-type, farm store, or veterinary supply in 10 gram packets, water-soluble, same quality as for human consumption, for under $5 a pack. I use it myself even though warnings for "veterinary use only" are posted on it. Those warnings no doubt justify it's costing 10 times as much by prescription.....If you care to know, daily adult male human dose is on the order of 1/4 to 1/2 gram 3 times daily.

No flack here, just wondering, is that oral or injection?

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:30 AM   #33

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

Now that is good to know! There are some others like tetramycin, used for aquarium fish. It actually was widely prescribed as a human antibiotic back in the 50's and 60's. It was discontinued, in part, because it caused weakening and discoloration of tooth enamel.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
No flack here, just wondering, is that oral or injection?
Yellow powder, soluble in water, tastes a little bitter, but no worse than Alka-Seltzer.

edit: Needles are bad news, I leave their use to the doctors.......

Last edited by genie; 07-29-2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: afterthought

Old 07-31-2008, 01:17 AM   #35

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCXJ View Post
Yes, and remember that George Washington died from strep throat...
And Horatio Gonsalez died in 1879 when he got his finger run over by a horse drawn carriage - he was picking his nose....

Old 07-31-2008, 05:04 AM   #36

Quote:
Yellow powder, soluble in water, tastes a little bitter, but no worse than Alka-Seltzer.

edit: Needles are bad news, I leave their use to the doctors.......
Even though I don't drink I still think I'll put a bottle for whiskey in my BOB because I'm in the same boat, needles bad. All though you can get completely sterile cat gut and stitch hooks from a vet supply place, I don't know if you need to tell the vet it's for your cows or what, but I would totally have a few things like that for stitches and stuff. Not to mention a few sterile scalpel blades and at least a quart of 99% alcohol. I'm just hoping my wife and I will get this farm house so I can start farming with her father, we'll have most of that on hand since I do most of my own doctoring for my animals.

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:01 AM   #37

Default Sustainability?

Kind Sirs,Would not fish farming or raising chickens be better? (something that would not deplete itself) Also, would not wild critters carry diseases? In any event, how viable would ANY food source(s) be in a major FUBAR SHTF world?

Old 08-01-2008, 12:46 AM   #38

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Kind Sirs,Would not fish farming or raising chickens be better? (something that would not deplete itself) Also, would not wild critters carry diseases? In any event, how viable would ANY food source(s) be in a major FUBAR SHTF world?
Outside of nuclear radioactive animals, I believe most any disease in the animal could be combated with cooking the flesh to a "Well Done" state. I may be wrong, however, I have never gotten sick from eating wild game. Fish farming would probably be worthless as well in a nuclear situation for the same reasons as the land animals, maybe even more so. I'm not sure how concentrated the fall out can be in water or on land, but I'm sure that it may be higher in water.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:25 AM   #39

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
+1 on the disease concern - especially with turtles.
I believe they carry salmonella, like all reptiles, particularly Iguana's, which are as popular as chicken in South America.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:08 AM   #40

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musket View Post
This is why first aid training and medical manuals (including medicinal plant manual) should be added to the list of your emergency supply.

I am sure any war vet can tell you that field first aid is different from modern ambulance first aid. We are spoiled in this country by a heavy reliance on modern doctors, procedures & drugs.

Something really simple today: infected cut, broken hand, infected tooth--is easily cured and most people (save those already debilitated such as the eldery or immune compromised), have nothing more than an inconvenience.

EVen as few as 70 years ago---many more things were fatal: severe burns, heart attack etc.

My father lived through the flu pandemic of 1918....many of his uncles succumed. In fact, I have an old family photo of the various relations in front of the house. Dad looked at it one day and named off those killed by flu.

For those unaware, the flu pandemic of 1918 wiped out millions of people world wide--they literally dropped dead in the streets. I have seen alarming photos of police and fire depts standing with masks on (it was their only defense).

The flu we have today is considered routine. However--it still kills about 20,000 people a year (again--mostly people who were compromised to begin with).

But--we take for granted that we have 911, family dentists, emergency rooms, ambulances etc.

Look at hurricane Katrina and the nursing homes. MANY patients died when the power went out--they had no help. MANY people died in their homes, some calling for 911 as the flood waters rose---no help could get to them.

If we are suddenly faced with SHTF, then your mindset needs to change in many ways. One of them needs to be--is it worth the risk, will it endanger me?

A disease outbreak (still very possible today) should scare you just as much as a nuclear disaster......

Here is an interesting site about the 1918 flu:

>>>The influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 killed more people than the Great War, known today as World War I (WWI), at somewhere between 20 and 40 million people. It has been cited as the most devastating epidemic in recorded world history. More people died of influenza in a single year than in four-years of the Black Death Bubonic Plague from 1347 to 1351. Known as "Spanish Flu" or "La Grippe" the influenza of 1918-1919 was a global disaster......more........<<
http://virus.stanford.edu/uda/
It is now believed that perhaps as many as 300 million people died, worldwide, during the 1918/1919 flu pandemic. The previous numbers did not take into account the populations of third world countries.