SHTF: Save Ammo, Still Eat - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF: Save Ammo, Still Eat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Saving ammo and eating good

Trapping is an great way to gather food, I have been a fer trapper all my life and my kids enjoy it very much also, I have a small Ruger .22 cal that I have been useing since I was a kid, I keep it loaded with .22 shorts and that is plenty enough to take care of said critters, the ammo is quite cheap and dosent draw alot of attension, I can't say I would be to concerned about saving this type of ammo as it has limited use, but I think the real advantage would be the amount of time saved hunting as the traps do the work for you, this frees up time to deal with other things that need done.

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Ever been to the Phillipines?
Not yet, but if I find someone whose dog is named Adobo, I'll eat at someone else's house....

Oh, and chocolate meat? Ain't.

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-28-2008, 01:10 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fapprez View Post
Sorry folks. My whole understanding of a SHTF scenario is that stores will be closed and what we have to surive on grows shorter by the day. In this case, it wouldn't matter how cheap ammo is if the stores have been cleaned out. Who knows, maybe I'm way off base.
SHTF in varying degrees, evidently. Your approach is, however, most realistic, because it assumes pretty much the worst: stores closed, or even stores GONE! Or, stores guarded by military forces (read it, city lock-down). Ammo should be stockpiled, along with non-perishable food, weapons, first-aid stuff, in a place big enough to both store it AND use it.

Clearly, the city and small-town dwellers will find coping much more difficult than those of us who have already gone "over the hill" to live as rurally as possible. For example, I shoot groundhogs off my front porch; no one knows or cares. But don't get the wrong impression, I was born in Chicago, lived in Las Vegas, Phoenix, Ft. Wayne, as well as rural areas. I know the jobs are in the cities; that's why I tolerated them. Lot easier to tolerate where I am now.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:15 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musket View Post
a broken foot, could cost you your life if you are on your own.
Exactly the point needing to be made. Nearly everyone today depends on help from the "outside"- medical help especially. Before town living became widespread, in early America, how do you suppose people dealt with those events which could be life-threatening?

Old 07-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie View Post
Exactly the point needing to be made. Nearly everyone today depends on help from the "outside"- medical help especially. Before town living became widespread, in early America, how do you suppose people dealt with those events which could be life-threatening?

A large segment of the population didn't! Look at the ages on old gravestones. The common cold or flu would kill people. Tooth decay could kill people. Until Penicillin came along tens of thousands died from simple infection. Add antibiotics to your bug out bag - if you know a doctor or veterinarian that will give them to you without a legitimate reason that is...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #26

This is why first aid training and medical manuals (including medicinal plant manual) should be added to the list of your emergency supply.

I am sure any war vet can tell you that field first aid is different from modern ambulance first aid. We are spoiled in this country by a heavy reliance on modern doctors, procedures & drugs.

Something really simple today: infected cut, broken hand, infected tooth--is easily cured and most people (save those already debilitated such as the eldery or immune compromised), have nothing more than an inconvenience.

EVen as few as 70 years ago---many more things were fatal: severe burns, heart attack etc.

My father lived through the flu pandemic of 1918....many of his uncles succumed. In fact, I have an old family photo of the various relations in front of the house. Dad looked at it one day and named off those killed by flu.

For those unaware, the flu pandemic of 1918 wiped out millions of people world wide--they literally dropped dead in the streets. I have seen alarming photos of police and fire depts standing with masks on (it was their only defense).

The flu we have today is considered routine. However--it still kills about 20,000 people a year (again--mostly people who were compromised to begin with).

But--we take for granted that we have 911, family dentists, emergency rooms, ambulances etc.

Look at hurricane Katrina and the nursing homes. MANY patients died when the power went out--they had no help. MANY people died in their homes, some calling for 911 as the flood waters rose---no help could get to them.

If we are suddenly faced with SHTF, then your mindset needs to change in many ways. One of them needs to be--is it worth the risk, will it endanger me?

A disease outbreak (still very possible today) should scare you just as much as a nuclear disaster......

Here is an interesting site about the 1918 flu:

>>>The influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 killed more people than the Great War, known today as World War I (WWI), at somewhere between 20 and 40 million people. It has been cited as the most devastating epidemic in recorded world history. More people died of influenza in a single year than in four-years of the Black Death Bubonic Plague from 1347 to 1351. Known as "Spanish Flu" or "La Grippe" the influenza of 1918-1919 was a global disaster......more........<<
http://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #27
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
This is why first aid training and medical manuals (including medicinal plant manual) should be added to the list of your emergency supply.
I'm sure you're right. Do you have any suggestions where to get some good info?

Quote:
A disease outbreak (still very possible today) should scare you just as much as a nuclear disaster......
Not to be any more alarmist than I usually am, but our illegal alien friends are bringing with them all sorts of interesting diseases that we had pretty much wiped out in this country.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
+1 ROFLMAO!!!! Thanks a lot...I'll think of this next time I order Chinese food...if I ever eat Chinese food again. Ever been to the Phillipines?
Screw the dog at the Chinese place, I love the rat on a stick. While we're talking about how great a coon is, anybody ever tasted skunk?

Seriously, if I had to choose between rabbit or chicken, I'd eat rabbit every time. My wife won't let me raise them until we get the place out in the country we are working on.

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #29

Learn to make your own equipment. Bows, arrows, atlatl's and darts, slings, rabbit-sticks, deadfalls, snares, etc. There are some terrific sites around; www.tradgang.com, www.paleoplanet.com; making "real" buckskin, at www.braintan.com... loads more than you could digest in a lifetime is all available for free. Use it. Because, and you'll see me write this and'or hear me say this over and over again, when the s DOES htf, the things we all think are important will be almost null and void, even much or most of the so-called survival plans and skills. The mindset will NOT be one of a civilized man as we are today, but one that will have been FUBAR'ed by virtue of having been forced beyond the very borders that define the limits of normal, socially-acceptable behavior. Have you ever literally operated on yourself out of necessity? I can tell you that there are particularly strong boundaries that cannot be crossed without drastic and, to one degree or another, permanent consequences. How long have you ever actually gone without eating? I mean not ingesting ANYTHING, except plain water? A day or two or three? A week? How about a full month? Again, you will NEVER be the same for the experience, I promise you. Anyways, there is so much more than can ever be fully discussed, and so much that would NOT survive the s hitting the f mostly because it IS the very same "s" that will be hitting the proverbial fan. Far too many talk about "survival" in terms that more approach "maintaining my current lifestyle as best I'd be able." It's almost a game, almost something that they fantasize about, even welcome, hope for, long for, maybe because they see it as just another game to win, another outlet for a competitive drive, whatever, maybe even something that maybe, just maybe, they could finally WIN at...

Anyhow, sorry to rant... but get used to having to kill what you eat instead of paying someone else to do it for you. Get used to growing your food instead of absentmindedly moving it from the grocer's shelves into your shopping cart. It all means more when you DIY. And maybe, just maybe then, we'll all actually look more at ways of making the life we now have better protected from them that mean us and ours malice, harm, and death. The war is on, already, and it's a war of words. Propaganda from within and without our country. Weakening of our social and moral fiber. And what do we do? We sit, we wait, we talk about what we'll try to figure out about what we might do if we actually do come to the point where we'll have to get up and do something about it. The time is now. It always has been, always will be. Stand up, and dig in for the long haul. Be prepared to be shellacked, to be laughed at and mocked, to have your name dragged through the mud, because that's exactly what they'll do to those of us that actually challenge their BS. It's the hardest kind of fighting that there is. And your opponents won't die, they just get more hysterical and insane. And the laws prevent us from doing anything about them, but seem to allow them to do plenty about us. We can't even tell the truth anymore, because it's a "hate-crime" just to tell the REAL truth.

Well, there I go again... stop fantasizing about what we WOULD do, and start doing what must be done. That's all...

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered. ...A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason."

~ Thomas Paine, January, 1776, from "Common Sense"

Old 07-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #30

Yes, and remember that George Washington died from strep throat...

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered. ...A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason."

~ Thomas Paine, January, 1776, from "Common Sense"