SHTF: Save Ammo, Still Eat - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF: Save Ammo, Still Eat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 03:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
+1 ROFLMAO!!!! Thanks a lot...I'll think of this next time I order Chinese food...if I ever eat Chinese food again. Ever been to the Phillipines?
5 months in Subic Bay, 1972, USS Bryce Canyon.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:50 AM   #12

I trapped Muskrats and Mink for years in my youth. I'd never eat either one, unless. When I started to trap Fox, Racoons were a typical find in the Fox traps. A 60 lb racoon will meet it's fate from a .22lr. I went from carrying a big cedar club to carrying a Ruger MkII on the trap line.

I'm not looking to eat dog.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #13

Default Rabbit

Trap rabbit, grab it by the ears and then hit it in the head with a rubber mallet. My grandfather used to do this, we never went hungry and he saved ammo.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sorry folks. My whole understanding of a SHTF scenario is that stores will be closed and what we have to surive on grows shorter by the day. In this case, it wouldn't matter how cheap ammo is if the stores have been cleaned out. Who knows, maybe I'm way off base.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
5 months in Subic Bay, 1972, USS Bryce Canyon.
+1 my friend! You sounded too knowledeable about preparing dog. Puppy Pate` - a culinary treat!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

At the very least, the small dog rescue group behind my house will feed my own dogs for a couple of weeks. Of course I would feed the poor little rescue dogs to keep them going in the mean time.

What do you call a Korean guy with two dogs?

A rancher.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #17

Actually......

Dig a worm, catch a sunfish, cut up said sunfish and stick on larger hook with 20lb test and steel leader. Throw out and wait to catch mr angry snapper.
Decapitate said snapper and make soup with the rest. Shell can also be used for various implements.

gruesome yes, but eaten in restaurants and some southern states. Alligator snappers can be quite large, and some meat can be obtained.

If you live in the south, alligator (not the turtle) can also be had, which does taste like chicken

Don't forget frogs--they dont have much meat, but can be eaten and caught without shooting

Snakes can also be eaten fairly easily.

Of course--again the above is reserved for the "end is near" scenarios when stop n shop et al are out of business.....

Now I am going away before I start actually thinking about what is in my lunch

Old 07-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #18

FYI, here is a site with instructions on how to properly butcher turtles, and a short recipe. http://www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/1996/06/50.html

Old 07-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musket View Post
Actually......

Dig a worm, catch a sunfish, cut up said sunfish and stick on larger hook with 20lb test and steel leader. Throw out and wait to catch mr angry snapper.
Decapitate said snapper and make soup with the rest. Shell can also be used for various implements.

gruesome yes, but eaten in restaurants and some southern states. Alligator snappers can be quite large, and some meat can be obtained.

If you live in the south, alligator (not the turtle) can also be had, which does taste like chicken

Don't forget frogs--they dont have much meat, but can be eaten and caught without shooting

Snakes can also be eaten fairly easily.

Of course--again the above is reserved for the "end is near" scenarios when stop n shop et al are out of business.....

Now I am going away before I start actually thinking about what is in my lunch
i've never had turtle before but, they are easy enough to obtain, i've had gator, and frog, and rattler and they all taste similar to chicken

Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #20

Turtles are easier to catch than most people realize. In fact, if you do not have a hook/bait available, you can walk along the shallows with a long stick and slowly push along under the mud. eventually you will bump into one, and when they come up out of the mud they can be grabbed by the tail.

Careful of the claws though--they are designed to rip flesh and you wont be happy if they nail you.

the larger snapper species can be quite large--weighing 80 to 100lbs. But--in a disaster scenario, even smaller turtles can be consumed for nutrition. Turtles are not my first menue choice (ick) but certainly can be dined on if needed.....

If you are in the south and can manage to catch a gator, then you have a fair amount of meat to survive on. But again, certain risks need to be considered when going after this type of food source. You really do not want to hurt yourself when you are in self preservation mode, as something that is simple today--such as a broken foot, could cost you your life if you are on your own.

why is it that most reptiles seem to taste like chicken? Or maybe its that chicken tastes like reptile?