Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF: Save Ammo, Still Eat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default SHTF: Save Ammo, Still Eat

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but worth bringing up either way.

I got to thinking today about the whole survival/SHTF situation that may be upon us very soon. I thought mainly about feeding my family in a situation like this.

Fishing naturally came to mind as all you need is a string and a hook and you can dig bait. But what about land animals? I mean, you can't fish for coons and squirells. I guess you could always shoot them. But why waste the ammo? Why use 2o shot shells for 20 meals when for the same price you can buy a live animal trap and catch the same amount 100 times over? Save the ammo for the zombies, ya know what I mean?

I have browsed some of the survival threds but have yet to see animal traps come up. They're $20-30 at your local home improvement store, fold flat and if they fail, you can fix them with a piece of wire.

What are your thoughts on this? I know a coon won't keep a family full, but if you bought 2 or 3 traps......

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2008, 01:04 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fapprez View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but worth bringing up either way.

I got to thinking today about the whole survival/SHTF situation that may be upon us very soon. I thought mainly about feeding my family in a situation like this.

Fishing naturally came to mind as all you need is a string and a hook and you can dig bait. But what about land animals? I mean, you can't fish for coons and squirells. I guess you could always shoot them. But why waste the ammo? Why use 2o shot shells for 20 meals when for the same price you can buy a live animal trap and catch the same amount 100 times over? Save the ammo for the zombies, ya know what I mean?

I have browsed some of the survival threds but have yet to see animal traps come up. They're $20-30 at your local home improvement store, fold flat and if they fail, you can fix them with a piece of wire.

What are your thoughts on this? I know a coon won't keep a family full, but if you bought 2 or 3 traps......
I think if I trapped a live animal I would shoot it!

I have the NAHC Wild Game Cookbook - to be honest with you, I think I would starve! (Squirrel tastes good)
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Well, if you did try to survive on wild animals, it's common Ozark knowledge that Possum pie and Squirrel stew taste just as good the second day....

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-24-2008, 01:58 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I think if I trapped a live animal I would shoot it!
Club it, slit it's throat, stab it with a stick. Any way you do, it would still save ammo.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:09 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fapprez View Post
Club it, slit it's throat, stab it with a stick. Any way you do, it would still save ammo.
Have you ever confronted an angry racoon? (not that I would eat a coon)
.22 ammo isn't expensive enough to bring me to stabbing or clubbing an animal to death. I guess I'm just not a "hands-on" kinda guy....

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-24-2008 at 02:12 AM.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:14 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Well, if you did try to survive on wild animals, it's common Ozark knowledge that Possum pie and Squirrel stew taste just as good the second day....
There are some other "recipes" in my book that would gag a maggot...some animals just don't taste like chicken!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A good .22 or .177 pellet rifle would do the trick and ammo for that is cheap!

Like the RWS 460 Magnum .22 Cal- 1150 FPS for around $600 or the Crosman Tac 1 Extreme .22 cal 800 FPS Tactical Air Rifle w/ Scope, Bipod, Laser, Flashlight & Case for around $300.

And no noise!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:43 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Have you ever confronted an angry racoon? (not that I would eat a coon)
.22 ammo isn't expensive enough to bring me to stabbing or clubbing an animal to death. I guess I'm just not a "hands-on" kinda guy....
Don't knock it until you've tried it. Coon is really good if you cook it correctly. I only add correctly because it is pretty greasy. You need to cook it in a way that will get rid of most of the grease. The best way is to skin/ gut it, cut the glands out from under its front legs, and boil it in a big pot with an onion, salt and pepper. Once it has tendered up a little, throw it on the grill and cover with bbq sauce. I guarantee you that you won't pass one up after you've tried it. It's easy and it's really good.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:47 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
Don't knock it until you've tried it. Coon is really good if you cook it correctly. I only add correctly because it is pretty greasy. You need to cook it in a way that will get rid of most of the grease. The best way is to skin/ gut it, cut the glands out from under its front legs, and boil it in a big pot with an onion, salt and pepper. Once it has tendered up a little, throw it on the grill and cover with bbq sauce. I guarantee you that you won't pass one up after you've tried it. It's easy and it's really good.
This would work for dog as well. Just don't tell anyone what it is or where rover went.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:12 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
This would work for dog as well. Just don't tell anyone what it is or where rover went.

+1 ROFLMAO!!!! Thanks a lot...I'll think of this next time I order Chinese food...if I ever eat Chinese food again. Ever been to the Phillipines?