SHTF, not going anywhere - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF, not going anywhere

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #81
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
My brother-in-law's sister's husband is a prepper to the most painful extreme. They live in a little bitty town (pop. 200) in a rural part of Indiana. So, it likely wouldn't be a primary takeover target. His basement is crammed full of food, clothing, tools, misc supplies like enormous quantities of toilet paper and toothpaste. He showed me at least 2 dozen handguns he has stashed in the furniture all over his house. His rule is to never be more than 5 feet away from a gun. And that's scary. Not the guns, but the fact that he proudly pulled each gun out of its hiding place to show them to me, a total stranger that he'd never met before. If he does that for everybody who comes to his house, one day he'll come home from a spending spree to find all or most of his stuff gone. And leaving his guns in the furniture for some kid to get ahold of is just asking for trouble. I'm not bad-mouthing the concept of being prepared, but I think it is not too bright to proudly display everything he has to complete strangers. I have some stuff of my own, but it is my private stuff, and there is no reason why I should or would proudly display it to every Tom, Dick, and Harry whom I meet.
there are about three people who know where my firearms are hidden. my wife, my brother and my father and i trust all three of them. others may know i have firearms, but they will never know where they are hidden.

letting strangers or even just aquaintances know where your firearms or valuables are hidden is a good way of possibly being relieved of them.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1540

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If I can't "bug in", I'm following Peter Pan

to Never-never land...
If I were forced to "bug out", I'm headed for Munchkin land!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #83

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

And, DFlynt, you will be welcomed with creepy, open, baby-arms!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-06-2013 at 06:22 PM.
DFlynt Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #84

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

depends upon what "overland" means, to an extent, at least. You never HEARD of walking along side of the bike in rough terrain, right? :-) at least the weight aint on your back and when you get a chance, you can coast downhill.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsl View Post
depends upon what "overland" means, to an extent, at least. You never HEARD of walking along side of the bike in rough terrain, right? :-) at least the weight aint on your back and when you get a chance, you can coast downhill.
TTSL, using a bike for a SHTF situation as a get out of Dodge vehicle just isn't practical. more than likely the roads will be clogged with either cars or people looking to do the same thing. how are you going to go across unpaved roads with a large amount of weight on a bike? especially if it's swampland, heavily wooded forrest or dry sandy and hilly desert areas?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #86

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

My wife has one of these that she uses around the place. It would likely work OK, with the large pneumatic tires it pulls fairly easy and is rated at several hundred pounds.

garden_cart.jpg  

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
My wife has one of these that she uses around the place. It would likely work OK, with the large pneumatic tires it pulls fairly easy and is rated at several hundred pounds.
you can always pull it behind your bike.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

The Pioneers 150 years ago got out of 'Dodge' with handcarts. A wagon and a bike is easier than that. I'm just sayin'.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Oh, and the finnish resistance fought Nazi Germany using bikes as their main transportation through all kinds of terrain.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #90

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
If you need a "tail gunner" for that thing, count me in....sounds like fun, i haven't been for a wagon ride in a long time.....

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

hiwall Likes This