Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF, not going anywhere

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 860 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Last week we went on vacation to europe. We spent the whole week walking or on public transportation. This taught me something very important: I will NOT be bugging out. Now, I'm pretty active and all, but that made me pretty tired, all that walking. Add in the terrain and I don't think I'd make it. Besides, bug out to where? We live in Southern NH, not many places to go to. In addition, my wife is not at all accustomed to overland anything, particularly walking. If on a skimobile, she might have a chance. AND, I have crappy knees. While on vacation, I slightly bumped my knee on the tub, and felt it for the rest of the week. Aggravated an old injury.
So suffice it to say, We'll be better off storing stuff and hopefully in the future planting stuff, and staying home. I also hope to get a small group together in case something happens. It seems to me that there would still be a lot of luck involved in surviving something like this, but if not where better to die than at home, right?
I have also been thinking about our location strategically. I was never in the military, so I'm not sure how to do this, but in one direction, we overlook a near cliff, with a river at the bottom, a main road next to that, and the whole road and river is actually in a valley.
Anyway, plans are coming together, VERY slowly, though. More thinking going on than anything.
Here is the original post. As the OP, (and as much as I like a good pissing match), this one is getting old. I don't even know what the problem is anymore. Maybe back to either bugging out and why, or bugging in, and why, hmmm?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #72

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

I would have to agree with the OP that

bugging in would probably be the

best option for many to pursue.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #73
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 6041

My Land, My Home, My rules! We are the People of The United States of America; we dont run, we fight! The Citizen Soldier, Militia concept can only succeed if we stand united on our own Terra-firma. This isnt the movies, once you start running, they get a perfect shot at your backI dont plan on making it that easy for them! I didnt spend 1/3 of a lifetime in the NY Army National Guard because I thought $2.45 an hour was great pay for a Platoon Sgt, it was my duty. and an Honor to serve my Sate and Nation. That didnt end the day I retired, "This I will Defend" isnt just a T-shirt Slogan, its a way of life. I am an Oathkeeper by virtue of my timeless promise, it came with no expiration date other than my very own "Cold Dead Fingers".

The only reason to bug out is because my castle has been turned into ashes. Im a New Yorker, If I was gonna leave, it would have been long ago; if/ when the SHTF, the safest place for me is in the boonies and thats my home, thats where I can literally hold the higher ground (considering that I live on Bearpath Hill Road, only 2 ways in our out and they are manageable.

Besides, If you leave it behind, dont expect anything left if you ever return!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #74

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Im a New Yorker, If I was gonna leave, it would have been long ago
Really? I presume you basically became a criminal of one form or another overnight simply with the passage of the SAFE Act. Think it's the same!? Now I KNOW you would never put more than seven rounds in a magazine, but...

Old 06-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #75
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 6041

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Really? I presume you basically became a criminal of one form or another overnight simply with the passage of the SAFE Act. Think it's the same!? Now I KNOW you would never put more than seven rounds in a magazine, but...
Im a bigger fan of a New York Reload anyways! A little Buckshot out of the Remington Model 11, a slug or 7 out of the Ithaca featherweight, there's room for 7 more in the Mauser and with the wife reloading, I can keep that up for some time!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2541 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Hey "Lou" - you certainly have an argumentative streak in ya, more power to ya!

When it comes to everyday, retirement, SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, Zombies, WROL, Alien Invasion, any and all of that $h!t................whatever keeps you sane, do it! As long as you are not consciously harming anyone and it helps you rest your head comfortably on the pillow at night, by God make it happen!

Your life, your decisions, your responsibility.

I personally am preparing for a reasonable retirement in TWAWKI (The World As We Know It) and have several months of disaster preparedness supplies also. My world, my pillow, I'm good.

Make your life what you want it to be and to Hell with what others think, they don't have to live YOUR life.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Mongo Likes This 
Old 06-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #77

Liked 742 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 1187

I think i would be better off staying right where im at, and helping defend the readygirl ranch...lol we have 15 acres, a good well, woods, buckstove, plenty of room for pigs , chickens ,etc. She already hords everything from canned goods, tp, shampoo, ammo, etc. I think the trick would be having enough people at your location to sleep in shifts and patrol the property at all times (i think she has that covered too) I dont want to live on the run anyhow, eating bugs, and sleeping in mud holes.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Last edited by rn-cindy; 06-03-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #78
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 1752

My brother-in-law's sister's husband is a prepper to the most painful extreme. They live in a little bitty town (pop. 200) in a rural part of Indiana. So, it likely wouldn't be a primary takeover target. His basement is crammed full of food, clothing, tools, misc supplies like enormous quantities of toilet paper and toothpaste. He showed me at least 2 dozen handguns he has stashed in the furniture all over his house. His rule is to never be more than 5 feet away from a gun. And that's scary. Not the guns, but the fact that he proudly pulled each gun out of its hiding place to show them to me, a total stranger that he'd never met before. If he does that for everybody who comes to his house, one day he'll come home from a spending spree to find all or most of his stuff gone. And leaving his guns in the furniture for some kid to get ahold of is just asking for trouble. I'm not bad-mouthing the concept of being prepared, but I think it is not too bright to proudly display everything he has to complete strangers. I have some stuff of my own, but it is my private stuff, and there is no reason why I should or would proudly display it to every Tom, Dick, and Harry whom I meet.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 06-06-2013 at 12:43 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #79

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

If I can't "bug in", I'm following Peter Pan

to Never-never land...

Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #80
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

After being hit by a few hurricanes (that is a good SHTF example), we have pretty well learned that we should stay in place.
Our resources are here (there is no help for at least three days), and we have control.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)