Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF, not going anywhere

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Wow -- a little anger management work needed there-wolf.

Let me be clear -- I don't give a rat's butt about a few Mayan calendar doomsday believers (nor Scientologists, The Lochness Monster, or the Tele-Tubbies if you care). No-one but you does, apparently citing them as somehow representative of preppers and something you are inexplicably (so far) very pissed about. So let's determine what's really bothering you.

Are you not eligible for a credit card? Did you max one out for 12/21/12 and are jealous that preppers are a little more rational? Practical!?

You claim preppers to be scared and unhappy people and based on your latest rant I presume you hold them to be bankrupting themselves and misled. Is that what you meant to communicate? Your writing lacks some coherence. May I suggest writing an outline first if and when you honestly respond please... We'd appreciate it.

OK, I get that you think you are enlightened about preppers and the future, that you are unconcerned or very hopefull, and are full of venom towards people who have plans for worse times and/or bad events where Big Brother may not be there to take care of them to say the least.

So, again, what are the foundations of your conclusions and animosity? It's not a hard question... I don't think so anyway!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-02-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #62

Liked 2447 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Wow, HL, you've got anger on the brain.

I prep, probably more thoroughly,

sensibly, and logically than most.

But not at the expense of the present.

I've been getting repeated warnings about

the EOTW since 1963, repeatedly in 1964, again

in 1965, and on, and on, and on, till now,

when, oooohhh, BIG SURPRISE, the EOTW

is right around the corner! (as, ahem, ah, usual)

Let me ask you this HL:

Why do you get so upset when I postulate

it may never happen?

Are you selling gear to preppers, or something?

Old 06-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 883 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Interesting discussion.

Outside of potential, perceived differences in likelihood or impact...., if you fear your exposure in a SHTF situation, it is incumbent on you to mitigate as well as you can while your choices are varied. One of the first questions to ask is, to quote The Clash..."Should I stay or should I go?".

Of course the exact manner of feces/fan interaction would have a lot to do with a well considered approach, but I feel the more urban preppers will emphasize the bug out strategy, while the rural folks will lean more toward defensive preparations.

While economic collapse, EMP, and foreign invasion (to mention a few scenarios) vary in social/regional impact, the constant is the folks and how they will react. My underlying premise is that the denser the population, the greater the negative impact.

Living outside of a major metro area, I have a hybrid approach....
I keep a good three months of provisions (including toilet paper) at the house...
Garden and chickens are here as well, as is a variety of useful vehicles and implements that cannot effectively be part of any bug out...on the other hand...
I also have a large camper (used for family camping and paid off...) that I can pull anywhere if it came to that...
Pre packed bug out bags provide me with the ability to scoot with little or no warning and at least have gun, ammo, food, water, compass, flashlight, blankets.......etc....

Not cashing in my retirement to buy a shipping container of glow sticks and AA batteries for the impending apocalypse, but not putting my head in the sand either!

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

People Like This 
Old 06-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #64

Liked 912 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 566

No offense to anyone intended; I'm just curious. But, does everyone think the roads will be free-moving/uncontrolled/safe in a SHTF scenario? IMHO, I doubt it. Most likely, it will be none of the 3. Possibly, you might be better off with an all terrain vehicle that will go down just about any trail you come across, other than a foot path.

4X4 ATV anyone? They can carry some weight, depending on which one you get, and will greatly open up your possible routes, and are useable all of the time for other things. Downside: they need gas, you need one for each person, and they do make noise, and they're expensive.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 883 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
No offense to anyone intended; I'm just curious. But, does everyone think the roads will be free-moving/uncontrolled/safe in a SHTF scenario? IMHO, I doubt it. Most likely, it will be none of the 3. Possibly, you might be better off with an all terrain vehicle that will go down just about any trail you come across, other than a foot path.

4X4 ATV anyone? They can carry some weight, depending on which one you get, and will greatly open up your possible routes, and are useable all of the time for other things. Downside: they need gas, you need one for each person, and they do make noise, and they're expensive.
No offense taken...could not agree more, if circumstances can be improved by using any of these, I will certainly not discount their value!
image-1541288054.jpg   image-2708713577.jpg  

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #66

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post

Most of the people who just died in the latest tornado at OKC died in their cars in a traffic jam trying to escape the area.

It is also quite obvious that 'therewolf' has a great deal of hatred for people with the interest and means to prepare for extraordinary circumstances but absolutely no serious point to make nor anything useful to add to these dialogs.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #67

Liked 912 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 566

Of course, it just dawned on me, that it depends on how big your smallest trails are. Here in the NE, the trails are pretty small. Some are truck size, but you won't be getting very far very fast....methinks other parts of the country may be different.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #68
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6623 Times on 3621 Posts
Likes Given: 12989

There are trails around here, but they don't go anywhere.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #69

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
There are trails around here, but they don't go anywhere.
Thats the best kind....

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 06-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #70

Liked 2447 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post

It is also quite obvious that 'therewolf' has a great deal of hatred for people with the interest and means to prepare for extraordinary circumstances but absolutely no serious point to make nor anything useful to add to these dialogs.
HL, you keep saying I have this "hatred"

and "anger". I think my point is simple.

All my life I've been hearing about EOTW &

SHTF scenarios. It's always going to happen

"tomorrow", "next week", "very soon",

and (my personal favorite)"sooner than

you think" .

My point is simple. S2!+ or get off the pot,

for the MOTHER OF GOD. I'm through

patiently waiting for the EOTW. I'm going to

muddle on through my life being happy, you

can keep buying barbed wire or whatever war

surplus some clown has made you feel you

"absolutely must have" this week.