SHTF, not going anywhere - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF, not going anywhere

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well im f@*#kd cause im on a peninsula on a peninsula. Only way out of my town either by one of two bridges which on a normal day are full of traffic or through one of the densist citys in the country. I gota move Boat is best wat out if shtf. But as for the people saying major freeways would be closed. That may be the case but dont forget many LEOs and federal personnel. Blah blah blah might choose to be with and protect their families in a **** situation. Anyone remember katrinia??? Absentee in law emforcement was between 25 to 45 percent. That give a great window of opportunity to do what you have to untill more personell arrives.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And thnx greg for giving props to us city guys. Some ppl on jere say we have no chance or are doomed unless we move. I say otherwise. I have plenty of supplies to hunker down or bug out. Plus there are more stores n supplies here. Which i can grab fast before others n use for bartering. I am looking to move one day but npt for that reason. Just wanta more gun friendly state.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #23

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post

A man w/a plan! Good for you. And it can't hurt your well being in any way.
I'm doing it more for the well being, but if it helps survivability it's even better.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #24

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm already in a place that some people think of to bug out to. I'm in the country outside of a town that does not even have a traffic light. I have chickens and cattle. Deer, turkey, and other woodland creatures are all over the place. I have some kind of large hills that allow for great view for miles in all directions and the house is highly defendable. A couple/few springs for water and a stocked pond not too far off on other family land that I can walk to.

The idea of leaving to some place where I do not have the knowledge of the land just never made a lot of sense to me. So I ust keep things right here. A few gardens and we can a lot of stuff so unless we get sucked into a black hole I figure to be pretty fins sitting here. I do need to replace a stove that can burn wood. The old one was...well old and not very useful. I'll have to aquire one for heating. I do have an cast iron cook stove in a building though.

Most of the houses and buildings here on the property where mostly built form timber that was cut right here (we have a small saw mill ). The thought never was to go anywhere. Anywhere is right here.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #25
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1335 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
So, what, I should get rid of my $8000 miracle tent? Oh well. TekGreg, good idea on the disguises. Even if you don't leave, you may find it necessary to travel now and then. That'd be helpful.....

locutus, don't forget the on ramps, too. Only traffic laws prevent us from using them backwards. (And, sometimes not even then, LOL)
Glad you like it! This is one of my best escape and evade tricks. Also works to crash in an alley and reconnoiter a suspect. May be able to use that later in the conflict. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
If bugging out is the only option... I've been taking more measures to make it more survivable. I'm working on living a lower impact lifestyle, but at this point, I wouldn't expect more than three to five days of survival. Not being pessimistic, just realistic. Going hiking every weekend, dieting, getting off nicotine and caffeine...
Getting rid of addictive habits will save you during SHTF not having to go through withdrawal, but it can also pay for your survival if you turn latte' and cigarette money into survival equipment and skills! Kudos to you for starting NOW!

Quote:
Dog feces eh. Where did you come up with such armchair ingenuity? This how u r escaping Cincinnati?! Lemme guess -- you can fit in everywhere on foot with your gun-filled urban-camo ALICE, unseen, almost jedi ninja like...

I agree one doesn't want to stick out. You're not the droid they're looking for so you go first -- I insist. Don't worry, the rest of us are behind you!

i
LOL! This wasn't armchair, believe it or not. I had one of those crazy friends that every time we thought of something, he wanted to try it. So a $45 trip to Salvation army got us both equipped. We crossed three different types of large (1,000,000+ pop.) cities from one side to the other purposely engaging people. We only got stopped by police once and talked our way out of a shakedown. We added a few things, but three runs told us we had a winner. I called this the "Urban Ghillie Suit." Oh, and the bonus: People passing by donated more money than we spent initially at Salvation Army. :-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickie3625 View Post
And thnx greg for giving props to us city guys. Some ppl on jere say we have no chance or are doomed unless we move. I say otherwise. I have plenty of supplies to hunker down or bug out. Plus there are more stores n supplies here. Which i can grab fast before others n use for bartering. I am looking to move one day but npt for that reason. Just wanta more gun friendly state.
I don't believe there are any situations that a lot of thought and a little prep can't make a whole lot easier! If you plan to bunker in for the first week, get a few 2X4s and nails, fit them to your door to make it look boarded up, then store it nearby. you can cut relief pieces from the end of the board to make them look like they are nailed over the door frame but allow you to open it. This will turn away more looters than looking like every other door.

For bonus points, go to your health dept. and request a few "Contagious Area - Do Not Enter" signs (Back story: You're creating a haunted house and need them for backdrop. [Yes, it works.]) and put them on top of your blockade boards. The authenticity of having your current Health Director's signature will cause people to pause before trying to break in. Anything you can do to make it look like they'll die is helpful. If you're really daring, a chalk outline of half a body in the hallway terminating at your door may add to scare factor.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #26

Liked 1077 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 710

You're a wealth if information, what else ya got? LOL

Old 05-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #27

Liked 2603 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
I almost thought you were gonna leave out the para-cord. You DID leave out the tactical flashlight...
Oh, the searchlight, tac-lite, and nite-lite are all a part of the

"yadda-yadda, blar-blar".

Old 05-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
You're a wealth if information, what else ya got? LOL
LOL! Glad you like it! However, I'm getting the idea now that I might be able to write this into an urban survival class, so you'll have to pay to get the rest!

Just kidding! I'm glad I can help my FTF family get out when the chips are down. You never know - it may be one of those Hollywood Movie moments when one of the people who survived from my advice saves my butt! You can never tell about Kismet. ;-)!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #29

Liked 1077 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 710

What's Kismet?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
What's Kismet?
Fate or destiny.

Kismet is fate in this life. "What goes around comes around." This is different from Karma, which relates to your fate in the next life, like an evil person being reincarnated into a slug because they were evil in a previous life. Many people incorrectly believe that Karma refers to their current life, when it's actually Kismet.