SHTF, not going anywhere - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF, not going anywhere

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

It is extremely hard to bug out, even if you have a place to go. Many people don't think about things like federal highways being closed. Yes, the fed pays to create them and maintain them, therefore under Marshall Law, all interstates will be reserved for Military, LEO and federal agents. Also, any road crossing a federal highway subjects those using it to observation by said forces. Waterways may remain unpatrolled at first, but I would expect to see Forest Rangers and others patrolling in small boats eventually. Obviously every family should create a bug out bag for forced relocations, either weather- or man-made, but it should be plan "B" if at all possible.

Urban dwellers may be in a position where bugging out is necessary, but a pre-determined exit strategy will be required for any chance of survival. Using creeks, canals, sewers or any other route that doesn't involve the sidewalks or asphalt that every other unprepared person will be hunting on in packs. Chart three ways out of the city and ACTUALLY walk them. As you find the failings, overcome them. You may need to carry a bolt cutter and crowbar to either cut locks to traverse private property or lift manhole covers. Also, if you cut a lock, it helps to carry bailing wire to refasten the chain and make it look locked so you can't be followed. Powerful flashlights and nose plugs for sewers should be carried.

Also, disguises do work. A yuppy with his L.L. Bean backpack has no chance of surviving - he'll be swarmed in minutes. However, a street bum pulling a ratty old piece of luggage and stinking to high heaven (remember nose plugs?) will be avoided like the plague because of societal preconceptions, i.e. he stinks, he's dirty, he's probably diseased, and his suitcase holds aluminum cans and old newspapers. Get a roller case at least 36" long with retractable tow handle from Salvation Army to use as your BOB. The reason for the length is it will carry an AR-15 for really bad situations. Decorate said bag with bumper stickers and duct tape, making it look like it's falling apart. A few splashes of motor oil or food can add to distressed look. Also get worn, oversized clothes and a hat or cap and make sure they are badly mismatched. The more it looks like it was pulled out of a garbage bin, the better. Tear it a little for authenticity. If done right, you can pull your BOB through rioter-filled streets without being touched. If you want 100% authenticity, use a nylon/poly outer garment and smear it with feces (dog, your own, etc.) to turn any curious away. You can strip it off when reaching relative safety.

All of this pre-routing, pre-planning, disguising yourself should get you safely through the two to four mile trek out of the city. If your resources permit, store a cheap, simple four-wheel-drive vehicle on a friends property or possibly rent an unattached garage or barn for a few bucks a month. This vehicle would be stored with a larger version of a BOB - tent, cooking utensils, water, food - and get you away from the unprepared, rioting, killing, looting masses.

Urban preppers have it the worst, but with a multi-stage plan that has been tested and walked, there is no reason they can't have good survivability.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 05-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #12

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Thank you, Greg, another dose of reality.

The administration wants everyone afoot, so much the easier

to herd everyone to "emergency shelter areas".

Mr. Yuppie survivalist-prepper wannabe is going to be

thrown in with a bunch of his own ilk, who will also be

thrown into a massive population of woefully unprepared

folks who pissed their money away on 500$ sneakers,

widescreen HDs, and video games. Needless to say, these

unprepared folks will feel "entitled" to the yuppies gear...

Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I would never 'bug out.' Once there then what ... sit? I would sooner stay put. In a home that is more than a home to me. It is a friend.
I say this because in my life I had been homeless three times. Now I am at a point where I look back and shake my head disbelievingly.
I would never bug out. I would rather, like a captain of a ship, go down with his ship ... my sweet, sweet home.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6622 Times on 3690 Posts
Likes Given: 6293

Here in Wyoming, we're just gonna blow up all the off ramps right at the border and stay home.

People Like This 
Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #15

Liked 1130 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 740

So, what, I should get rid of my $8000 miracle tent? Oh well. TekGreg, good idea on the disguises. Even if you don't leave, you may find it necessary to travel now and then. That'd be helpful.....

locutus, don't forget the on ramps, too. Only traffic laws prevent us from using them backwards. (And, sometimes not even then, LOL)

Old 05-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

I'm going 30 miles south to our farm, fresh water, good fishing, deer and other game and a couple of houses we own there. Ain't going no farther than that. It's an advantage to "really" know the lay of the land you're bugging out to. It's not the mountains but it is rugged, hilly country and I know everyone around there. If and when the SHTF the authorities are going to have to focus on the cities since that is where the vast majority of the people are at. My philosophy is out of sight, out of mind, lay low and hope for the best.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #17

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
If bugging out is the only option... I've been taking more measures to make it more survivable. I'm working on living a lower impact lifestyle, but at this point, I wouldn't expect more than three to five days of survival. Not being pessimistic, just realistic. Going hiking every weekend, dieting, getting off nicotine and caffeine...
A man w/a plan! Good for you. And it can't hurt your well being in any way.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
THANK YOU, clr8ter,

for a refreshing dose of reality.

I get so tired of all the

"I must be Peter Pan! I'm going to bug out, for

some unspecified spot in the mountains I've

personally never been to, carrying

a shotgun, 2 assault rifles, a .22LR, 3 pistols,

5000 rounds for each, 5 gallons of water, a 3-week

supply of food, an axe, maul, hand-axe, 36" bow saw,

trenching tool, fishing gear,500 feet of rope, binoculars,

swiss army knife, survival knife, Bowie knife, machete,

7 large rolls of duct tape, 2000 feet of para-cord,

a years supply of clothes, yadda, yadda, blar,blar, etc...".
I almost thought you were gonna leave out the para-cord. You DID leave out the tactical flashlight...
Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
It is extremely hard to bug out, even if you have a place to go. Many people don't think about things like federal highways being closed. Yes, the fed pays to create them and maintain them, therefore under Marshall Law, all interstates will be reserved for Military, LEO and federal agents. Also, any road crossing a federal highway subjects those using it to observation by said forces. Waterways may remain unpatrolled at first, but I would expect to see Forest Rangers and others patrolling in small boats eventually. Obviously every family should create a bug out bag for forced relocations, either weather- or man-made, but it should be plan "B" if at all possible.

Urban dwellers may be in a position where bugging out is necessary, but a pre-determined exit strategy will be required for any chance of survival. Using creeks, canals, sewers or any other route that doesn't involve the sidewalks or asphalt that every other unprepared person will be hunting on in packs. Chart three ways out of the city and ACTUALLY walk them. As you find the failings, overcome them. You may need to carry a bolt cutter and crowbar to either cut locks to traverse private property or lift manhole covers. Also, if you cut a lock, it helps to carry bailing wire to refasten the chain and make it look locked so you can't be followed. Powerful flashlights and nose plugs for sewers should be carried.

Also, disguises do work. A yuppy with his L.L. Bean backpack has no chance of surviving - he'll be swarmed in minutes. However, a street bum pulling a ratty old piece of luggage and stinking to high heaven (remember nose plugs?) will be avoided like the plague because of societal preconceptions, i.e. he stinks, he's dirty, he's probably diseased, and his suitcase holds aluminum cans and old newspapers. Get a roller case at least 36" long with retractable tow handle from Salvation Army to use as your BOB. The reason for the length is it will carry an AR-15 for really bad situations. Decorate said bag with bumper stickers and duct tape, making it look like it's falling apart. A few splashes of motor oil or food can add to distressed look. Also get worn, oversized clothes and a hat or cap and make sure they are badly mismatched. The more it looks like it was pulled out of a garbage bin, the better. Tear it a little for authenticity. If done right, you can pull your BOB through rioter-filled streets without being touched. If you want 100% authenticity, use a nylon/poly outer garment and smear it with feces (dog, your own, etc.) to turn any curious away. You can strip it off when reaching relative safety.

All of this pre-routing, pre-planning, disguising yourself should get you safely through the two to four mile trek out of the city. If your resources permit, store a cheap, simple four-wheel-drive vehicle on a friends property or possibly rent an unattached garage or barn for a few bucks a month. This vehicle would be stored with a larger version of a BOB - tent, cooking utensils, water, food - and get you away from the unprepared, rioting, killing, looting masses.

Urban preppers have it the worst, but with a multi-stage plan that has been tested and walked, there is no reason they can't have good survivability.
Dog feces eh. Where did you come up with such armchair ingenuity? This how u r escaping Cincinnati?! Lemme guess -- you can fit in everywhere on foot with your gun-filled urban-camo ALICE, unseen, almost jedi ninja like...

I agree one doesn't want to stick out. You're not the droid they're looking for so you go first -- I insist. Don't worry, the rest of us are behind you!

i

Last edited by MattShlock; 05-07-2013 at 01:36 AM.
TekGreg Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
Dog feces eh. Where did you come uo with such armchair ingenuity? This how u r escaping Cincinnati?! Lemme guess -- you can fit in everywhere, unseen, almost jedi ninja like...

I agree one doesn't want to stick out. But you go first -- I insist.
kind of sounds like pretty clever thinking to me. a guy that looks like a homeless bum, would probably get much less attention than a guy looking like he was heading out on camping trip into the mountains.